Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Free / trial / instant / shortcut to AAdvantage Elite status (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free / trial / instant / shortcut to AAdvantage Elite status (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Where are my 20 free 500mi upgrades? No love for the hub cAAptive EXPs.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
I just signed up with the promo code listed here and got a confirmation email!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Originally Posted by fivegirls
I just signed up with the promo code listed here and got a confirmation email!
For which promotion?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Haven't received anything and I have flown 8 AA segments this year (3 were FC fares) and 2 more RT's booked in the next 4 weeks. My travel to TX has increased from PDX and AA has been my choice of carrier.

I credited all the flights to AS.

Oh well.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:47 pm

Have ditched the unfriendly skies and seeking new dance partner. Come AAnd get me AA. @:-)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
My 6 year old son got the instant platinum offer today as well. Since we're planning a trip with him to south america from the west coast, he'll make the 12k by august. He's been either platinum or gold since he was 1, i the briefly he fell back to having no status for one year. My daughter who's 3 and pretty much flies the exact same flights hasn't gotten the offer.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:16 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Has anyone gotten these offers who does not live in the USA??
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:35 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Mrs. Wjj got the offer to immediately upgrade her status from nothing to PLAT through Aug. 31, 2013 and to extend it through Feb. 28, 2015 if she racks up 12,000 miles or points by Aug. 31, 2013. Also gets 20, 500 mile upgrades just for registering.

She has never had any status on any airline and we do not have any credit cards linked to AA. But she does take 6 to 8 RTs a year with me on a combination of F awards, Y plus miles upgrades to F, and discounted F tickets.

Now we have a decision to make - which I am sure is what AA wants. We have 4 RTs already booked between now and August 31. If I redeposit the award miles and instead purchase discounted F for those legs only, then she will be just shy of 12,000 points. So adding one short trip will do it.

Also, it now creates another option. We had pretty much given up on upgrading to F on an economy fare because even though she takes on my EXPLAT status on the list, we get skipped over if 2 seats do not become available at the same time. That has been the case more often than not since AA started selling discounted F. But now, if she has PLAT status and we chose flights wisely, she would hopefully get upgraded on her own accord.

If I were a PLAT and now all of these otherwise non status people are getting instant PLAT plus 20 free 500 mile upgrades, I would not be too happy. Much more competition for upgrades, at least until August 31.

Also, I wonder if she falls short of 12,000 miles but gets over 6,000 miles or points (which she will easily make), if she will be given Gold status even though her specific offer was for PLAT. Not that it matters because she only travels with me and takes on my status when we are on the same PNR. And we never check bags except occassionally if going overseas.

This is a very interesting offer and to me at least, seems to have been better thought out than the EXPLAT offer to DL and UA elites last year. But if I earned PLAT the hard way, I would not be too happy.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by wjj
Mrs. Wjj got the offer to immediately upgrade her status from nothing to PLAT through Aug. 31, 2013 and to extend it through Feb. 28, 2015 if she racks up 12,000 miles or points by Aug. 31, 2013. Also gets 20, 500 mile upgrades just for registering.

She has never had any status on any airline and we do not have any credit cards linked to AA. But she does take 6 to 8 RTs a year with me on a combination of F awards, Y plus miles upgrades to F, and discounted F tickets.

Now we have a decision to make - which I am sure is what AA wants. We have 4 RTs already booked between now and August 31. If I redeposit the award miles and instead purchase discounted F for those legs only, then she will be just shy of 12,000 points. So adding one short trip will do it.

Also, it now creates another option. We had pretty much given up on upgrading to F on an economy fare because even though she takes on my EXPLAT status on the list, we get skipped over if 2 seats do not become available at the same time. That has been the case more often than not since AA started selling discounted F. But now, if she has PLAT status and we chose flights wisely, she would hopefully get upgraded on her own accord.

If I were a PLAT and now all of these otherwise non status people are getting instant PLAT plus 20 free 500 mile upgrades, I would not be too happy. Much more competition for upgrades, at least until August 31.

Also, I wonder if she falls short of 12,000 miles but gets over 6,000 miles or points (which she will easily make), if she will be given Gold status even though her specific offer was for PLAT. Not that it matters because she only travels with me and takes on my status when we are on the same PNR. And we never check bags except occassionally if going overseas.

This is a very interesting offer and to me at least, seems to have been better thought out than the EXPLAT offer to DL and UA elites last year. But if I earned PLAT the hard way, I would not be too happy.
Not sure how you define "better thought out". I don't have insight into how they targeted folks, but the whole thing is just a big middle finger right in the face of those who have earned their status the normal way. I fail to see how that is a good thing in the long run.

I know everyone last year said not to worry, that these offers would end soon, that it was a limited time opportunity for AA to poach from airline Y or Z. I think it is pretty clear now that there is no such temporary nature...the offers keep going...
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I don't understand why people are so obsessed on here how many EXPs are out there and how they got there.
Yes, on the surface it might appear that more EXPs might reduce your chances of getting that precious upgrade, but how about not worrying about other people's status and just enjoy your own? You will never know why you did not get that upgrade. That last seat may have been taken by somebody who flies 200K a year.

Why don't we start worrying about how people get the money to pay for tickets? I have to work 80 hours a week for months to earn the ticket to CDG, while others get it paid for by their corporation on a boondoggle. Fair?? No, just move on
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I don't understand why people are so obsessed on here how many EXPs are out there and how they got there.
Yes, on the surface it might appear that more EXPs might reduce your chances of getting that precious upgrade, but how about not worrying about other people's status and just enjoy your own? You will never know why you did not get that upgrade. That last seat may have been taken by somebody who flies 200K a year.

Why don't we start worrying about how people get the money to pay for tickets? I have to work 80 hours a week for months to earn the ticket to CDG, while others get it paid for by their corporation on a boondoggle. Fair?? No, just move on
Believe it or not, but work life and status have incomon that they are merit based. No employer is sending an employee to CDG for a boondoggle. Most business travelers have earned (there is that word again) these trips by developing skills that make them a necessity on the ground.

And how about all those work trips that many business travelers take that are to crappy backwater locations? Some of my faves in that category were trips to Green Bay in the dead of the winter.

And last but not least, business travelers often spend significant amounts of their own time for work travel, miss kids birthdays, anniversaries, and other life events.

Those of us who are in airports every week have certainly earned each trip we go on. If that's what you want to do, then take a job and build skills that allow you to travel a bunch for work.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
DM vs EXP and Instant Status

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Believe it or not, but work life and status have incomon that they are merit based. No employer is sending an employee to CDG for a boondoggle. Most business travelers have earned (there is that word again) these trips by developing skills that make them a necessity on the ground.

And how about all those work trips that many business travelers take that are to crappy backwater locations? Some of my faves in that category were trips to Green Bay in the dead of the winter.

And last but not least, business travelers often spend significant amounts of their own time for work travel, miss kids birthdays, anniversaries, and other life events.

Those of us who are in airports every week have certainly earned each trip we go on. If that's what you want to do, then take a job and build skills that allow you to travel a bunch for work.
I now think things have started to switch on diluting ranks AA vs DL. I agree with this post that the idea in elite status is one rewards those earning the points the conventional way. At DL now while we can use Am Ex we still have to hit 125K miles and now have a minimum spend per year. That will not swell the ranks but rather keep them stable or see slight decline would be my guess. Now at AA where UG's may be a bit harder we see this offer for immediate UG of status the second time in months. This must be dilution in a market where seats too are shrinking in number.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAExPlat

Without a doubt.

After posting last night about the EXP offer I backpedaled in my mind about it. I would rather earn it. It should be earned in the air.

I also think this about MM status. It is really unbelievable to me that people earned that with non-air miles.

I flew JFK/LAX/SYD three times in one week last week. As Plat, I got upgraded on only one leg (3rd leg, JFK/LAX), and I paid for it with miles + $70 fee. I really wanted the upgrade on the last leg (really wiped out). There were 3 EXP's ahead of me, and I didn't get upgraded (while I am sure the EXPs did, I was the only one left on the upgrade list). I was a bit raw about it, for about 30 minutes until I dutifully paid for my fruit+cheese plate and Zinfandel. If I knew the EXPs got their status in the air, I am 100% OK with that. After reading this thread, if they got it by doing virtually nothing, I have a real problem.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I feel like a sucker having paid $200 for the PL challenge a month ago. Can someone please PM me the EXP offer code?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:14 am

+1 on the request for the EXP code - I've been platinum the last 5 years and didn't receive an email either

edit: I couldn't get the code HVEEA to work for me
http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/02/01/a...-status-hveea/

Last edited by chitownjeff; Apr 30, 2013 at 8:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.