One way First, One way econ. Baggage allowance?

Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

One way First, One way econ. Baggage allowance?

I have an upcoming flight where I have outbound booked in 1st Return flight is economy (using BA Avios). Entire trip was booked at same time.

How many checked bags do I get for free? Would it be 3 bags outbound and $25 per bag on the return trip?

"We are pleased to offer customers in First and Business Class the ability to check three bags at no charge when traveling on American or connecting with British Airways or Iberia."
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nate265
I have an upcoming flight where I have outbound booked in 1st Return flight is economy (using BA Avios). Entire trip was booked at same time.

How many checked bags do I get for free? Would it be 3 bags outbound and $25 per bag on the return trip?

"We are pleased to offer customers in First and Business Class the ability to check three bags at no charge when traveling on American or connecting with British Airways or Iberia."
Impossible to know without knowing Origin and Destination.
But, yes, normally 3 bags for First (up to 70 pounds each) and the economy rules depend on the destination, but they are on aa.com with a link to exceptions.
US to Europe would normally allow you one free checked bag of up to 50 pounds.
The second bag is $60.

If you enter "aa.com/baggage" in your web browser, you should get redirected to the AA baggage site. You can then select the correct option there, or just go to http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...eAllowance.jsp to see the allowances and charges.

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 26, 2012 at 4:23 pm
Old Dec 26, 2012, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Ah, it is bna-dfw. I was just not sure if somehow my privileges for free checked bags on the first class departure somehow transferred to the economy return.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nate265
Ah, it is bna-dfw. I was just not sure if somehow my privileges for free checked bags on the first class departure somehow transferred to the economy return.
If both flights are booked on the same PNR, then per the U.S. Department of Transportation, your baggage allowance for the first flight also applies to the second flight.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
If both flights are booked on the same PNR, then per the U.S. Department of Transportation, your baggage allowance for the first flight also applies to the second flight.
+1 - DOT rules make this simple if the itinerary originates or terminates in the USA. But, remember, it's AA's first class allowance which, as the operating carrier, controls.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently it does (was news to me, but I don't follow baggage regulations all that closely), but I have to wonder whether one would have to "fight" with AA to get them to provide the FC allowance on the return coach flight.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure it applies to the return flight? I thought it just applied to connecting flights.
Edit: Well, after reading it does seem to say the fees at the beginning apply at the end.
However, if the class of service changes that would make this sound odd. That would mean you would have to pay the fees both ways, if flying economy outbound and First Class on the return.

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 26, 2012 at 10:23 pm
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Not necessarily. AA could offer a more generous baggage allowance than required by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not necessarily. AA could offer a more generous baggage allowance than required by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
I agree, but if the correct interpretation of the rule is for the baggage fees to remain the same, even if the cabin class changes in the other direction, then I think the law is too far reaching.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
I agree, but if the correct interpretation of the rule is for the baggage fees to remain the same, even if the cabin class changes in the other direction, then I think the law is too far reaching.
I don't see that to be the case. What it is saying is that the luggage allowance cannot drop and lead to extra charges part way through the trip

There is nothing to stop AA publishing in its baggage rules that where there is a mixed class booking that the lower allowance applies throughout ; that would allow them to charge for the luggage or waive the charge if desired
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The powerpoint document here (slides 22, 23, 28) does seem to imply that the baggage fee has to be the same on all segments of the journey, even on the return. There is no explicit exception for different classes of service. Whether this was intended or not, that's the guidance and definition of "itinerary" as stated in the actual rule. However, I don't know how much weight that document would hold or whether "itinerary" is defined elsewhere.

Here's the official rule from http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/399.87

For passengers whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, U.S. and foreign carriers must apply the baggage allowances and fees that apply at the beginning of a passenger's itinerary throughout his or her entire itinerary. In the case of code-share flights that form part of an itinerary whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, U.S. and foreign carriers must apply the baggage allowances and fees of the marketing carrier throughout the itinerary to the extent that they differ from those of any operating carrier.
And yes, I suppose an airline could get around this by officially applying the lowest allowance to the entire ticket, it would just have to be explicit on the e-ticket receipt. Then I guess they could voluntarily waive any baggage fees for F segments.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:35 pm

Indeed. if the airline chose to set the lowest allowance throughout then they could charge. Even before the baggage rules chane, my experience was that where multiple classes of travel occurred on the 1 itinerary, that the highest allowance was allowed throughout , so the DOT changes don't seem to have imposed a change there
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:13 am
Original Poster

You all were correct. We retained the 3 free bags each and "PriorityAAcess" on the return economy trip.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Any insight as to how this may actually work when the outbound journey is in coach, and the return is in F?
Am looking to a buy a EWR-LAX-EWR ticket for a relative on AA. Not a problem if they have to pay to check bags on the outbound but I want to tell them what to expect.
BA is very specific that the greatest allowance would have applied for their services (and even suggested that AA operates the same way), but aa.com is silent with regard to what happens with mixed class itineraries.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.