Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One way First, One way econ. Baggage allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:03 pm

As someone who has flown mixed class itineraries in the past (economy outbound, business return) I'd also be interested in knowing the answer to this question...
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, US Silver
Past Experience

My wife and I flew DFW-HNL-DFW last October on an award ticket. We had First (z inventory) on the outbound and coach (t inventory) on the return.

We had only checked one bag each on the way over (I had no status at the time) thinking that the Citi card gave us free bag each.

On the return, we had an extra bag and were afraid that we'd be charged the 2nd bag fee, however we were pleased to see that each of us was authorized three checked bags a piece, even though we were traveling in coach.

We are repeating the trip later this month, but on a revenue ticket with miles-copay upgrade on the outbound. Will report back on our return about baggage allowance on the coach segment.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:41 pm

I'm curious about the opposite. Departing itinerary in coach and return in business/first. Would you get the higher baggage allowance on the return?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
I'm curious about the opposite. Departing itinerary in coach and return in business/first. Would you get the higher baggage allowance on the return?
Cash ticket or award ticket?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

actually, i am wondering about either.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DOT rules require that your e-ticket receipt (not the itinerary, but the actual e-ticket) show your baggage allowance, if any. It's always worth checking it. If you think it's incorrect, call the carrier ASAP. Arguing with CSR's at the counter is a waste of time.

On an itinerary departing/terminating in the US, DOT rules require that the allowance for the first segment controls throughout the itinerary. However, nothing prevents a carrier from permitting more than it is required.

On a Y outbound and F return, you are theoretically only entitled to the Y allowance on the return. But, it is highly unlikely that any CSR knows this or, if they see it pop up, sees it as anything but an error and overides.

Yes, there's a risk that you get hit for the extra bag(s), but it's small.

Last edited by Often1; Sep 2, 2013 at 4:59 pm
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
Originally Posted by guv1976

actually, i am wondering about either.
Well, you can take all the guesswork out of it if you book the outbound and the return as separate tickets. (All AA awards -- other than the distance-based Explorer awards -- are now offered as one-ways.)
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
BA assured me that according to the JBA AA moved to BA's system where the most generous allowance applies for the entire journey regardless whether the greater allowance is on the outbound or inbound. However, this probably applies only to international itineraries. I need to book a domestic itinerary, and while I am sure that flying coach outbound won't reduce the allowance to 1 bag on the inbound in F, it would be nice to know if AA allows 3 bags on the outbound in coach as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.