Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

AA is now offering three types of Economy fares via AA.com:

Choice (fare basis code ends in 1) = Lowest Fare, earn AA miles
Choice Essential (fare basis code ends in 2) = Change Fee (depends on detailed fare rules), 1 Checked Bag, Group 1 Boarding, Earn AA miles
Choice Plus (fare basis code ends in 7) = above Choice Essential benefits plus 50% Bonus RDM, Same-Day Flight Change, Same-Day Standby, Premium Beverage, No Change Fee, Earns base miles plus 50% bonus miles
Business/First as Choice Plus, plus 3 checked bags, No change fee (domestic only), priority baggage delivery at carousel, 50% class of service bonus miles

(Updated 1 Mar 2015)

See this page at aa.com for bundled services.

AmericanAirlines has posted some comments and clarifications in Post 144.

Originally Posted by hillrider
(1Mar 2015) The fee for the "choice plus" bundled extra now ranges from $80-80 each way, up from $80.

Choice plus extras are comprised of:
  • 1 checked bag
  • Group 1 Boarding
  • No change fee (any difference in fares would still apply; valid for American Airlines operated flights)
  • Same-day flight change
  • Same-day standby
  • Premium beverage on board
  • Earn 50% more AAdvantage miles
See these related links:

AA.com: Tailor Your Travel | Enhance Your Travel with Combined Features

FT: AA economy fare basis now ends with a number
Print Wikipost

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by andreirublev
They need to fix the comparison chart, it's clearly wrong in a number of cases (showing no lounge access, yet 500 mile upgrade eligible on international, showing lounge access on domestic for a couple of fake bookings I tried).

I do like having the first step show a roundtrip price, now that I know to expect it. At first I was shocked thinking a DFW-LGA leg was $600 each way!
Oh, is that it? I also thought I saw a big increase.

Personally, if I am going to choose my segments individually, I want to see them priced individually. Or is this because some fares can't be combined? If I choose "Choice Plus" for the outbound, I can't choose ""Choice" for the return.

I too had to refresh the browser page (firefox) to get it to display semi-ok.

But there are tabs above the fare matrix to choose the fare type (lowest, refundable, busniess/first).

These are my options for the first leg of a DFW-MSY round trip, all for the same flight number:

Lowest, 4 choices:
$268 $336 $356 $497

Refundable, 5 choices
$458 $526 $546 $1514 $944

Business First, 3 choices
$944 $497 $1904

The first 2 business fares duplicate others above, so I have 10 total choices, up from 5 before. So maybe this will be an improvement, once we get it figured out.

Really, though, this looks a lot like Southwest. Choice Plus is $20 more than Choice Essential, and gets me a free drink and extra miles. That's clearly copied from WN's Business Select fares.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like the fact that they're showing meals and booking code when you click on "+" to expand, as well as a link to see what seats are available to pre-reserve!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Multi-city search is unchanged.

(Though I never liked that format, you can't choose segments individually.)
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Info on the new redesign: https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/new.jsp

Now it's easier than ever to book your next trip on AA.com. We've redesigned the way we display your travel options so you can see the round-trip price up front. And, you can easily add features to your fare that provide additional benefits and flexibility. Simpler. With options.

View the demo above to see what's changed. [link: http://bcove.me/d3q90le9]

Here are a few of the enhancements we've made

Round trip fares are now displayed as soon as flight options appear
New combinations of features can be added to your fare, providing options to best meet your individual needs
— No change fee
— Checked bag
— Priority boarding
— Same day travel flexibility and more
We've created a shopping cart to hold your selections while you complete your reservation
I'm intrigued at the shopping cart idea -- seems sensible.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There doesn't seem to be an option to turn off the confusing am/pm display and use the global 24 hour notation.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by swag
Really, though, this looks a lot like Southwest. Choice Plus is $20 more than Choice Essential, and gets me a free drink and extra miles. That's clearly copied from WN's Business Select fares.
First thing I thought of too. I do like the option of paying a small fee for a no-change-fee fare rather than having the huge gulf of price between deep discount and full Y (or risk one or more $150 fees). Typically I have held off until closer-in to book flights when I was relatively uncertain about moving up/back a day or two, but I would go ahead and do one of these "Essential" fares in advance to protect against the cheap fare buckets selling out instead.

---

Now for some baseless speculation. How long before we start hand-wringing and worrying that they will change the upgrade priority to sort "Essential" and "Plus" fares within status group before time of request?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:17 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The "Choice Essentials" fare class actually looks pretty appealing to me as for some itins I've been checking it's only $50 more. So it's $50 upfront now when I think I may need to make a change vs. $150 change fee.

This actually sounds like the bundle AA used to sell that included changes for no change fee, same day standby and Group 1 boarding. The issue with that was that I believe it wasn't offered to elites since we already got most of what was in the bundle... but the no change fee option would have been appealing to some of us.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Why wouldn't they also list the number of EQP earned?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
The issue I see here could be a truth in advertising issue especially in regard to the formerly "First Special"/P fare. For two-cabin domestic flights it identifies the fare as a "Confirmed Seat in Business/First Class". This could really add to the already disappointing and questionable situation durring IRROPs when First Special/P fares are re-accommodated in Y.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
Does anyone know how to figure out what fare class your buying?

It looks like you now have to go all the way through to the purchase screen before you can find out whether the fare you chose is Y/B or W/H or G/S or whatever.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP

Just some random search. It would seem that sticker upgrades would be harder to get.

The difference between between coach and first is as low as $149.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The screenshot in the post #41 above this shows "from $492", but the matrix has nothing below $635. Oops.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:44 am
dw

Originally Posted by ilovetofly
Just some random search. It would seem that sticker upgrades would be harder to get.

Well, this isn't new... the very low instant upgrade or first special fares have been appearing for much of this year, though usually only for closer in travel.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:44 am
dw

Originally Posted by Top Tier
Does anyone know how to figure out what fare class your buying?

It looks like you now have to go all the way through to the purchase screen before you can find out whether the fare you chose is Y/B or W/H or G/S or whatever.
I believe if you expand the box for additional flight details, the fare class is listed.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:49 am

I like the concept of what they've done here, but there still seem to be plenty of usability issues to be worked out, and the GUI is much slower than the old one.

I think they should discount "Choice Essential" and "Choice Plus" for elites, since they're only getting the fee waiver (and a 3rd checked bag). I could definitely see the value for a non-elite at $68, but I would only use it as an elite if I thought there were a very good chance I'd need to make a change.

Originally Posted by ilovetofly

Don't think that's related to the new bundles... just one of those cases where the discounted F fare is not much more than Y.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.