Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

AA is now offering three types of Economy fares via AA.com:

Choice (fare basis code ends in 1) = Lowest Fare, earn AA miles
Choice Essential (fare basis code ends in 2) = Change Fee (depends on detailed fare rules), 1 Checked Bag, Group 1 Boarding, Earn AA miles
Choice Plus (fare basis code ends in 7) = above Choice Essential benefits plus 50% Bonus RDM, Same-Day Flight Change, Same-Day Standby, Premium Beverage, No Change Fee, Earns base miles plus 50% bonus miles
Business/First as Choice Plus, plus 3 checked bags, No change fee (domestic only), priority baggage delivery at carousel, 50% class of service bonus miles

(Updated 1 Mar 2015)

See this page at aa.com for bundled services.

AmericanAirlines has posted some comments and clarifications in Post 144.

Originally Posted by hillrider
(1Mar 2015) The fee for the "choice plus" bundled extra now ranges from $80-80 each way, up from $80.

Choice plus extras are comprised of:
  • 1 checked bag
  • Group 1 Boarding
  • No change fee (any difference in fares would still apply; valid for American Airlines operated flights)
  • Same-day flight change
  • Same-day standby
  • Premium beverage on board
  • Earn 50% more AAdvantage miles
See these related links:

AA.com: Tailor Your Travel | Enhance Your Travel with Combined Features

FT: AA economy fare basis now ends with a number
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:00 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT

Hello I was just trying to book a ticket on AA.com, and it shows some crazy round trip price matrix. Also it does not show all the fares- it gives me a measly matrix of three possible choices. I think it calls it choice /refundable and business.

Very confusing. Is there a way to go back to the old matrix. Or is my web browser just messed up.

Trying to buy a ticket and I can't.

Here is a screen capture? The columns are not even lined up? Why only 3 choices of fares?

Last edited by smilee; Dec 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I just noticed this as well. Was trying to price a CGK-NRT roundtrip. Looks like this is here to stay, and pricing is round trip now. Also noticed, MH flights are loaded into AA system. Searching returned a few NRT-KUL-CGK options that have never been there before. I actually like the new look. Will take awhile to get use to.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:23 pm

It's not just you. Much harder to read.

EDIT: Much better on my screen after refreshing the screen.

Last edited by Ord Liza; Dec 11, 2012 at 10:32 pm
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a worthless pile of nonfunctional crap. Although I had plenty of criticism for aa.com before this "enhancement," the old fare matrix (which I used this morning) was far more useful.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:48 pm

Is "Choice Plus" just a new name or is it a new category? Hover over it and see the list of things it includes. Also, if you click on it (or the other headings) you get a list of features with a drop-down menu that shows features by status.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FWAAA
What a worthless pile of nonfunctional crap. Although I had plenty of criticism for aa.com before this "enhancement," the old fare matrix (which I used this morning) was far more useful.
+100

The categories sound similar to what F9 (used to?) has been doing.

For an MCI-DFW o/w, Choice Plus is offering 50% bonus RDMs, no change fee, a 3rd checked bag, a free alcoholic beverage, and same-day change...

AA just loaded a video on how to use their "easy to use" booking page.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/new.jsp

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Dec 11, 2012 at 11:04 pm Reason: Added video
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
This will take a long time getting used to.

Do not like it all. Somehow it looks strange on my iPad. Not something I like. Please bring the old AA back.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:12 pm

By presenting the add-ons as actual flight options, the interface makes you consider the add-ons, rather than just letting you skip by that screen. Someone has the suspicion they'll probably sell a few more.

The extra radio buttons and tabs amount to a touch of "choice overload", if you ask me.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Is this a bad joke?! How awful!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Thank goodness, I put a flight on hold this morning. I would have gone berserk seeing all the fares get zapped when I had to travel. In this case, the "fuel surcharge" is being doubled up one way on International flights, but missing on the other. But this time, it's the departure showing the double-up, the return is ultra-cheap.

Fire the Facebook programmers at AA.

P.S.: On the EXP line earlier today, wait time was like 10 minutes. Not good.....must be this crappy AA website! lol

Spock Seat @:-)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Agreed. And it's not even consistent, for example search by schedule and multicity still have the old look-feel. You get all this choice-essential new-speak silliness, and you still can't even purchase by individual fare class. Makes me miss the old NW booking engine even more than before!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Functions now missing:

1. The ability to see all the pages of flights at once.
2. The ability to sort the flights by departure time, arrival time, etc.

Unbelievable.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
This looks absolutely terrible. The old system (until earlier this afternoon!) was perfectly fine and very clear in its simplicity. This looks absolutely terrible and incomprehensible. Plus, it looks like they're selling Main Cabin Extra as "Premium Economy" which will undoubtedly lure some unsuspecting souls to purchase what they believe is something very different from a few inches extra in legroom.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
Kill it with fire.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Spock Seat

P.S.: On the EXP line earlier today, wait time was like 10 minutes. Not good.....must be this crappy AA website! lol

I think this would be the reason. I won't be booking tickets online until they get their act together so EXP agents should be prepared to deal with me and my demands...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.