Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

AA is now offering three types of Economy fares via AA.com:

Choice (fare basis code ends in 1) = Lowest Fare, earn AA miles
Choice Essential (fare basis code ends in 2) = Change Fee (depends on detailed fare rules), 1 Checked Bag, Group 1 Boarding, Earn AA miles
Choice Plus (fare basis code ends in 7) = above Choice Essential benefits plus 50% Bonus RDM, Same-Day Flight Change, Same-Day Standby, Premium Beverage, No Change Fee, Earns base miles plus 50% bonus miles
Business/First as Choice Plus, plus 3 checked bags, No change fee (domestic only), priority baggage delivery at carousel, 50% class of service bonus miles

(Updated 1 Mar 2015)

See this page at aa.com for bundled services.

AmericanAirlines has posted some comments and clarifications in Post 144.

Originally Posted by hillrider
(1Mar 2015) The fee for the "choice plus" bundled extra now ranges from $80-80 each way, up from $80.

Choice plus extras are comprised of:
  • 1 checked bag
  • Group 1 Boarding
  • No change fee (any difference in fares would still apply; valid for American Airlines operated flights)
  • Same-day flight change
  • Same-day standby
  • Premium beverage on board
  • Earn 50% more AAdvantage miles
See these related links:

AA.com: Tailor Your Travel | Enhance Your Travel with Combined Features

FT: AA economy fare basis now ends with a number
Print Wikipost

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:59 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I really can't see anything wrong with the new approach. It is now showing the lowest fare based on standard categories of lowest, lowest with no change fee, fares that give 50% bonus miles plus same day change and standby

Then in another tab details of refundable fares

This seems a pretty logical set of choices to me

Plus it is giving the total r/t cost in its initial display which is something I do not recall aa.com doing in US historically.

I like it
Actually, it traditionally was r/t cost, and the change to the matrix format (what was it, a couple of years ago?) allowed pricing each direction separately, in the r/t context. This is a chance back to the way it used to be.

I have no problems with them various options being included. While I won't use them, I think it's a good monetization scheme. I just prefer being able to price each direction separately and see that.

Also, from the reports here, it seems that some of the sorting options we had before (lowest fare, shortest flight) may not be available or not working. Those need to be there.

The look is nice, the added options fine, but the per-direction pricing is better for me.

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:07 pm
SK

I, too, like many of the new options etc. And visually it looks quite good.

But, as others have mentioned already, taking away the ability to sort by price, departure time, total time, etc. is a very big minus, that negates in my eyes the whole exercise. I do hope they bring the sorting options back.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Thanks. Any idea if travel desks have access to these buckets/addons? (now that it's a bundle and not part of the fare bucket)
If you are referring to EXP/PLT/GLD or AA reservations, I don't believe they are currently offered, but I'd imagine they will be options soon.

If youa re referring to TAs or corporate travel offices, only if they start using the "Direct Connect" interface from AA. I believe this is part of AA's plan to get away from the GDSs.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by Xero
For $68 more, I can see this as a good deal for non elites flying AA. Checking a bag round trip would be an extra $50. For an additional $18, they have no change fee. I do wish AA discounted this for elites.
Right, but not much benefit for elites (unless you think you're likely to have to reschedule). Maybe businesses will jump on this. I can book refundable if the fare difference is under $100 for business travel. But there are no other benefits for elites. I think if you book a deep discount fare and spend the extra $$$, you should get a regular discount fare bucket. Most flyers won't care about 0.5 vs 1.0 EQP, but elites would. They can call it a 1.0 EQP guarantee (like a 500-mile guarantee).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:42 pm
In memoriam

On aa.com I asked for price and schedule for LAX-DCA on Feb 18, returning Feb 19. The "cheapest fare" came up around $1,600 on the nonstop (one-way?). I called aa.com. Just got off the phone with them (after 30 minute hold while the agent was on hold to get me the answer). The "answer " is the system is broken right now, but they're hoping it'll be fixed later today.

If I search by schedule I select the two nonstops (LAX-DCA and DCA-LAX) and the fare came up around $347 round trip.

Before the "new system" came into play I noticed an upgrade fare (one-way) of around $500 that looked pretty interesting, and that's why I'd like to get back in there and see what they're offering.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Don't like it. They have to put the sort back in. For heaven's sake, even that pile of junk delta.com can sort the list of flights.

Otherwise, it is not too objectionable. Basically the same format and info as before, and seems to work properly on my chrome browser. Their method of highlighting upsell opportunities is far less ridiculous than what DL recently rolled out.

I just sent them a complaint email. Others should do the same.

Last edited by Stripe; Dec 12, 2012 at 1:58 pm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
There's really a bunch of changes here.

1. The new bundles and new options to pay for flexibility and/or extra miles. I guess that's good, more choices is better. Did any options get taken away? I suppose if it makes more folks purchase paid F, that's a negative for upgrading, but it's hard to blame AA for increasing revenue that way.

2. The names of the new bundles. Dreadful. Choice? Plus? Essential? Which is best, what do they mean? It's like determining if a "wonderful" hotel room is better or worse than "spectacular", or if "select" is better than "choice" when buying steak. I guess I'll get used to them eventually, but for now it's non-intuitive and confusing.

3. The ease of online booking. F5 HTML issues aside, we've lost some sorting options, and not displaying prices by leg is confusing as well.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
"Hobica says. "The priority boarding line is going to stretch to the terminal door."
This along with CC PAX will make it seem like a TSA line.....
To those who thought they were 'exempt' by status...think again.
Elites are gradually being subverted to being looked upon as vacationers....
so much for your 'loyalty' start burning those accumulated miles !
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:08 pm
Company Representative - American Airlines

Programs: American Airlines
Hi everyone!

We wanted to stop by to let you know that we are monitoring your feedback to the launch of our enhanced booking options. The feedback recorded so far has been very valuable, so please continue to share your thoughts.

We would also like to clear up some of the questions that have been posed in this thread so far.

In regards to the ability to filter and sort flight search results:
We will continue to gather customer feedback and optimize the new shopping experience so that customers can efficiently find the flights and options that best suit their individual needs. Additional enhancements will be introduced in the near future.

In regards to the layout of the website and cross-browser compatibility:
We will continue to optimize the new shopping experience across browsers and operating systems. If you can clear your cache and take another look we are finding that some of the layout issues are resolved.

In regards to the value of no change fee versus refundable fares:
Choice Essential and Choice Plus fares do include a no-change-fee option. If a change is made on an itinerary booked with Choice Essential or Choice Plus the customer will receive a credit for the full amount of the fare to be applied to a new itinerary. If the new itinerary is not booked with another bundled fare, the customer will not continue to receive the no-change-fee option. In other words, when booking a fare with the no-change-fee option the customer is entitled to change their itinerary; and if a change is made, the customer will need to decide if another bundled fare with the no-change-fee option is desired. The refundable fare options remain the same and are noted as ‘refundable’ in the shopping display.

In regards to the change fee benefit for elite customers:
Elite customers must purchase a Choice Essential or a Choice Plus fare to gain access to the no-change-fee option. Unfortunately, no-change-fee is not a new elite benefit.

In regards to the question about outbound and return selections:
If you select a Choice fare on the outbound and then a Choice Essential on the return (or a Choice Essential on the outbound and Choice Plus on return), the upsell does apply to both the departure and return.

In regards to where the new fare options can be booked:
Our new fare choices are an integral part of American’s merchandising strategy. Ultimately, American’s objective is to improve the customer experience by offering valuable products and services bundled together with the base fare. American has published these new fare choices for all distribution channels to access, but the technology used at various GDSs and agencies will determine if and how these products are available for sale. The best way to gain access to these bundled services is to book directly with AA.com or AA Reservations initially.

Please continue to let us know if you have more questions about these changes. Thank you!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by aafreq
"Hobica says. "The priority boarding line is going to stretch to the terminal door."
This along with CC PAX will make it seem like a TSA line.....
To those who thought they were 'exempt' by status...think again.
Elites are gradually being subverted to being looked upon as vacationers....
so much for your 'loyalty' start burning those accumulated miles !
What in these changes increases the number of pax in the priority lines? Priority boarding/security access aren't part of the choice plans.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Hi everyone!
Sort, sort, sort, sort. Appreciate you addressing it, as it is pretty important to the majority of us, it seems.

The names are hard to differentiate between on the Essential vs. Plus side. Could just be an initial absorption thing, but if I'm struggling, then I feel non-frequent travellers will as well. Why not something like Select, Choice, and Prime? (Half kidding, USDA might get mad.) Choice/Choice Plus/Choice Premium. I think that problem is that "Essential" doesn't necessarily convey a hierarchical level, causing a disconnect in the brain (mine at least).

I guess this question is for others, as well as AA... if I book Choice Essential/Choice Plus in O bucket, get to day before, and want to change flight to morning flight, does just the O bucket need to be available, or am I rebooking at the current O fare basis (which might be more or just simply unavailable to purchase outright due to min purchase restrictions, etc., but O bucket is still there).

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm getting some REALLY weird results looking for DFW-EZE departing May 8th, in which First Flexible is $2 LESS than Business Flexible and only $23 more than Instant Upgrade. I don't think they will be selling many business seats with that pricing!

Anyone else seeing this?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Please continue to let us know if you have more questions about these changes. Thank you!
Also, from a revenue capture standpoint... if you search for a one-way, and select a flight, it gives you the upsell chance, then you can proceed. HOWEVER, if you select a flight, then go back on that same page and select a different flight, it'll automatically pop up the Departure Selection Completed - Select Continue Below overlay on top of the new upsell options without giving you a chance to choose them unless you wait for a bit for it to fall away.

I don't know if that's by design (to encourage those clicking around and might be confused on how to continue) or a fault, but I'd lean more toward the latter.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by stheller
I'm getting some REALLY weird results looking for DFW-EZE departing May 8th, in which First Flexible is $2 LESS than Business Flexible and only $23 more than Instant Upgrade. I don't think they will be selling many business seats with that pricing!

Anyone else seeing this?
Something... like this?

Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
"priority boarding..aren't part of the choice plans"....

Originally Posted by NYCQuaker
What in these changes increases the number of pax in the priority lines? Priority boarding/security access aren't part of the choice plans.
I enclose the following information provided by USA Today's editorial today.

"Choice Essential
This fare type costs an extra $68 round trip and allows customers to make changes to their itineraries without the customary change fees (fare differences still apply, however). Choice Essential fares also permit 1 free checked bag (or a third checked bag for elite frequent-flier members) and Group 1 Boarding.
Choice Plus
Costs an additional $88 round-trip. Perks include: No change fee, one checked bag (or third checked bag for elite frequent-flier members), Group 1 Boarding, 50% AAdvantage mileage bonus, free same-day flight changes, same-day standby option, and a premium beverage, such as an alcoholic beverage onboard."

I guess it depends on what one may call 'priority'.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.