Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Upgrading a BA flight w/ AA miles / AA codeshare (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 2:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold

Hi,

I bought a ticket on AA.com - all AA codeshare but the return leg of DXB-LHR-DFW is on BA. The return leg happens to be on business class, and I bought it on a I inventory. Can I upgrade only one leg (let's say LHR-DFW) to first class using AA miles?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
You could have upgraded your BA flights to First if you had purchased a full fare Business ticket in J, D, or R. I inventory is discounted Business.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 2:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So discounted business fares are not elegible? AA website doesn't say so but I assumed it.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by oneworld82
So discounted business fares are not elegible? AA website doesn't say so but I assumed it.
It does. See this link:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-u...servations.jsp

Personally, I think your trip in Business is fine. With the added cost of a full fare ticket, plus the 50K miles it would take to upgrade one way, it's not worth it IMHO.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by umaa83
It does. See this link:

Personally, I think your trip in Business is fine. With the added cost of a full fare ticket, plus the 50K miles it would take to upgrade one way, it's not worth it IMHO.
My bad, it does indeed. I am more than happy with my biz ticket! Thanks!!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
You could have upgraded your BA flights to First if you had purchased a full fare Business ticket in J, D, or R. I inventory is discounted Business.
That is quite a disadvantage of AAadvantage

BAEC does allow members to upgrade all I fares to first class on BA metals and AA code shared flights/BA flight numbers.

Last edited by NA-Flyer; Oct 16, 2012 at 11:22 am
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Using Avios to upgrade an AA flight requires the AA flight to have been booked in J, C, D, Y or B. AA flights booked into I cannot be upgraded with Avios. I believe this is the case for AA-marketed BA-operated flights as well. Source
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:15 pm

It does. See this link:

I've flown BA business and first several times LHR-ORD/ORD-LHR and there is little difference in my opinion.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by Microwave
Using Avios to upgrade an AA flight requires the AA flight to have been booked in J, C, D, Y or B. AA flights booked into I cannot be upgraded with Avios. I believe this is the case for AA-marketed BA-operated flights as well. Source
True, but you can still buy an upgrade at the airport if it is offered. I've done it 3 times this year. twice out of ORD and once out of LHR.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Can I upgrade only one leg (let's say LHR-DFW) to first class using AA miles?
Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
True, but you can still buy an upgrade at the airport if it is offered. I've done it 3 times this year. twice out of ORD and once out of LHR.
While that's definitely true, that wasn't what the OP was asking, which is why I didn't mention it.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by Microwave
While that's definitely true, that wasn't what the OP was asking, which is why I didn't mention it.
Just here to help.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold
I'm in WT on a BA flight SFO-LHR-BOM with a cheap fare. Was able to get exit row seats since I am ExPlat.

Can I purchase upgrades to business at the airport if they are available? What sort of cost should I expect?

Last time I looked it would have cost $2000 +/- to upgrade to WT+. It did not seem worth the money for little more comfort to me.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by pedropescador
I'm in WT on a BA flight SFO-LHR-BOM with a cheap fare. Was able to get exit row seats since I am ExPlat.

Can I purchase upgrades to business at the airport if they are available? What sort of cost should I expect?

Last time I looked it would have cost $2000 +/- to upgrade to WT+. It did not seem worth the money for little more comfort to me.
There is an extensive thread on the BA forum regarding upgrades offer for cash.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-thread.html
There may be others.

For the non stop SAN-LHR I have been offered to pay $300-$350 to upgrade from WT to WT+ and $500 from WT+ to J.

$2000?? sounds like they were just going to issue you a new ticket on WT+ full fare?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold

2000 is too much... that's a whole ticket.. you might get an offer at the airport for something around $500 if seats are open...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 1:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
That is quite a disadvantage of AAadvantage

BAEC does allow members to upgrade all I fares to first class on BA metals and AA code shared flights/BA flight numbers.
Not sure what you're trying to say but BAEC allows us to upgrade 'I' and 'R' class tickets only if they are booked under BA code. If a BA operated flight is booked under AA code then the rules for JB upgrades kick in and only higher fares are upgradeable.

I think upgrades are sold to the next cabin, which in your case will be WTP. Most likely you'll be able to buy another upgrade to CW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.