Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Book with miles from kid's account who doesn't have a credit card

Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

I'm trying to book a flight with miles on aa.com from kids' accounts. I tried to use an adult's credit card to pay for the fees but the website refused to take it saying credit card holder's name has to be the aadvantage account owner's name. What are my options and the associated cost or effort?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by timzheng
I'm trying to book a flight with miles on aa.com from kids' accounts. I tried to use an adult's credit card to pay for the fees but the website refused to take it saying credit card holder's name has to be the aadvantage account owner's name. What are my options and the associated cost or effort?
Simply put the reservation on hold, call, and pay. I've had similar situations resolved this way after a few questions about who owns the miles; etc.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
Just type in the kids name as the name of the credit card holder - 99% the charge will go through. I have never had a problem. Most do not worry about name matches (during authorization) as they do for AVS or CID.

Cheers!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
I ran into the same problem a few years ago. I solved it by adding my kids as authorized users for my Citi AA credit card. I did it all online, and it was approved immediately. Since I am responsible for paying the bill, it didn't matter that my kids were minors. I received credit cards for them, and I shredded them (the cards, not the kids) when they arrived. Would you let an 11-year old have a CC? Not me
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pedro M
Would you let an 11-year old have a CC? Not me
Everyone else is doing it.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: MP
Just had to do the same thing recently: I simply entered kid's name and my CC numbers. It went through, no questions asked!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.