Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Boeing 737-800, type 738D
(configured 16F, 144Y, including 30 MCE - including Exit rows). Current seats seem to be Zodiac 5751 slimline seats.

All aircraft have been converted to the type 738K Oasis/Kodiak configuration

Archived content
Under “Project Oasis” this type will ultimately be refitted to 737 MAX 8 “Project Oasis” standards, with 170 seats: 16 F / J seats with reduced pitch and recline, and 156 ultra-slimline Rockwell Collins (previously B/E Aerospace) Meridian seats with 30” pitch in Main Cabin, 33”pitch in Main Cabin Extra and ultra-slimline lavs, onboard served WiFi IFE (no seatback) IFE, etc.

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens;

738s delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 currently have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus USB seat power. The IFE will ultimately be replaced by WiFi served IFE.

Link to AA fleet list - 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.

738s (until modified to 7M8 standards) are laid out:

First / Business rows 3-6 (no rows 1 or 2)

Economy from rows 7-30; MCE from rows 7-9, and MCE exit rows 14 and 15. Row 15 has full recline.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Unrefitted 738 / 737 pre-Oasis, non-MAX MCE / Main Cabin + Extra Seats

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:19 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CO FF
FAA regulations are based on the # of SEATS on the plane - not vacant seats. Simply leaving seats empty doesn't impact the required # of FAs.
In this case AA is physically blocking the seats to bring the maximum capacity of teh aircraft to 150. There is a plastic table is in the center seat.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:37 pm

The FAA has not yet approved this procedure of seat blocking.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by HNL
In this case AA is physically blocking the seats to bring the maximum capacity of teh aircraft to 150. There is a plastic table is in the center seat.
Originally Posted by skylady
The FAA has not yet approved this procedure of seat blocking.
I thought that the airline has to physically disable the seats, such as remove seat cushions from them, to qualify for the reduced seat count, not merely leaving seats unassigned or blocking them from use.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
The seats seem to be physically disabled. The tray appears fixed to the armrests in some way.

Photo taken from this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dle-seats.html
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
The seats seem to be physically disabled. The tray appears fixed to the armrests in some way.

Photo taken from this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dle-seats.html
Do these seats show as blocked on seatmaps?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alhcfp
Do these seats show as blocked on seatmaps?
EF has them blocked. Not sure about AA.com
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by CO FF
FAA regulations are based on the # of SEATS on the plane - not vacant seats. Simply leaving seats empty doesn't impact the required # of FAs.
The middle seats don't exist as seats, they are cup holders. So it isn't an empty seat.

EDIT: just noticed pic above
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
New "workspace" in 738s (Rows 16-17)

This is the first I've heard, and maybe others know more: in order to get the 737-800 fleet below 150 seats (for staffing reasons, since this requires one less FA per FAA), the middle seats in rows 16 and 17 of coach are being replaced with a "desk" of sorts (or maybe "desk" means just a piece of plastic cover the desk). Anybody know more/have pictures?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dle-seats.html
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yep, block four seats and reduce the (MCE configured) cabin to 150 passengers - IF the FAA approves the use of seat-blocking "tray" devices. Photo in a previous post.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
This is the first I've heard, and maybe others know more: in order to get the 737-800 fleet below 150 seats (for staffing reasons, since this requires one less FA per FAA), the middle seats in rows 16 and 17 of coach are being replaced with a "desk" of sorts (or maybe "desk" means just a piece of plastic cover the desk). Anybody know more/have pictures?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Will these seats be MCE in terms of legroom? It doesn't really look like it from the pictures so I'm wondering whether I'd prefer MCE near the front with more legroom or rows 16/17 with more shoulder room/nobody right next to me or stick with exit row. (Of course, I'd prefer the upgrade but for those times when we miss...)
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
With just four seats per row, it's just like Club Europe on BA.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:20 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Will these seats be MCE in terms of legroom? It doesn't really look like it from the pictures so I'm wondering whether I'd prefer MCE near the front with more legroom or rows 16/17 with more shoulder room/nobody right next to me or stick with exit row. (Of course, I'd prefer the upgrade but for those times when we miss...)
Rows 16 and 17 are regular leg room seats.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Will all MCE 737s be flown like this?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thomdis
With just four seats per row, it's just like Club Europe on BA.
Not in the "convertible" seating configuration (most of the BA seats), as when configured for J the armrests move and the seats become an inch or two wider; furthermore BA's shorthaul J has 34" of pitch, while these AA seats have 31 or 32".

I'm afraid they're just AA Y seats without anyone sitting in the middle and with an extra tray.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.