Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

● For up-to-date information on AA's inclement weather travel policy for post-Sandy and other events, see: AA Travel Alerts / Travel Notices and Policy

● For Sandy-specific information, see Hurricane Sandy East Coast - Travel Notice Exception Advisory

● AA OSO (Off Schedule Operations) desk for day of flight issues: 1-800-446-7834 (or your status or reservations line)

● To quickly check your flight: AA Gates and Times page or, as supergrandslam suggests, the AA cargo site.

● To check flight status overall, see FAA NE airports flight delay information or FlightStats Global Delays and Airport Tracker

● For additional information on NYC travel disruptions, see this thread in the NYC Forum: Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

N.B. Weather is a rapidly changing event, so be sure to check sources regularly. A post-Sandy "Nor'easter" is headed to the area at this moment.

/AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
AA will likely get all a/c out of New York by Sunday afternoon. Heck, Megabus is not running any buses after 5PM Sunday (I'm coming back tomorrow on a 12:30PM bus.) The MTA has a standby plan to begin to shutdown the system starting 7PM Sunday. Airports will also probably close to flights by that time.
Hoping that the ex-JFK international bank still goes out tomorrow night - which they should assuming AA doesn't hold planes in Europe Sunday morning. Moved an LHR flight up to tomorrow night. Would have moved it further but I'm in BNA flying back to LGA tomorrow morning (moved up from tomorrow evening).
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:09 pm

Not sure if I should change my Weds. Evening flight out of Newark to Thursday? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would think flights would be able to take off by Wednesday from Newark, but I am not sure what to do. I need to be in Orlando for a very early meeting/work event on Thursday so, I'm leaning towards taking a chance on flying out Weds night.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by progapanda
A handful at EWR (not exclusively AA), according to http://flightaware.com/live/cancelled
Yep, it looks UA proactively cancelled flights to/from northeast airports
on Mon/Tue and some flights going east on Sun.
I was thinking potential closures of NYC airports starting on Mon but UA's action looks just too proactive for me...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL
More detailed explanation of rules here..

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Travel..._eastcoast.jsp
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:50 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Yep, it looks UA proactively cancelled flights to/from northeast airports
on Mon/Tue and some flights going east on Sun.
I was thinking potential closures of NYC airports starting on Mon but UA's action looks just too proactive for me...
Yup, I am one of those affected. JFK-LAX-ORD on 10/29. I see that AA has a lot of flights still scheduled on 10/29 and 10/30. I'm not sure how this can be, but I am considering buying LGA-ORD ow for 10/29. If I could keep my schedule it would be worth the price, and it looks like I can purchase P for ~$350, hopefully giving me additional flexibility. I guess I will wait until late Sunday and if the flights are still around, I'll book.

... I also notice DL has a full schedule on 10/29 and 10/30.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:23 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Gov Como Press Conference

Here is the latest from Gov Como, MTA will be shut down Sunday with last trains leaving at 7:00 pm and last bus at 9:00 pm. There are no plans to shut down the airports at this time. The bridges will be closed on a case by case basis if needed.

As an additional data point CX has canceled the afternoon flight for 10/29 but the morning flight is still on.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
One issue is that once the MTA starts to shut down the system (looking like it could start at 7PM tonight) airport workers can't get to LGA or JFK. So while Monday AM may not yet be all that bad ground and flight crew might have problems getting to work, along with TSA and contract workers.

I talked to my brother Saturday at Boca Raton. He said it was absolutely beautiful there and he and his GF were headed out to the beach.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
I'm on the 11:35pm AA30 redeye flight tonight from LAX-JFK.. what are the chances my flight gets cancelled? Right now, AA is showing the flight is scheduled on time.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
http://flightaware.com/live/fleet/AAL/cancelled

Above is the link to a list of cancelled AA flights.

For Mon/Tue, so far only a few international flights got cancelled.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:49 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Exclamation NYC Travel Disruptions

For additional resources and info on NYC travel disruptions, including LGA, JFK, and EWR airports, please see also the NYC Forum thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...ct-2012-a.html

Originally Posted by JTK
Here is the latest from Gov Como, MTA will be shut down Sunday with last trains leaving at 7:00 pm and last bus at 9:00 pm. There are no plans to shut down the airports at this time. The bridges will be closed on a case by case basis if needed.

As an additional data point CX has canceled the afternoon flight for 10/29 but the morning flight is still on.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
One issue is that once the MTA starts to shut down the system (looking like it could start at 7PM tonight) airport workers can't get to LGA or JFK. So while Monday AM may not yet be all that bad ground and flight crew might have problems getting to work, along with TSA and contract workers.

I talked to my brother Saturday at Boca Raton. He said it was absolutely beautiful there and he and his GF were headed out to the beach.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by jammanxc
I'm on the 11:35pm AA30 redeye flight tonight from LAX-JFK.. what are the chances my flight gets cancelled? Right now, AA is showing the flight is scheduled on time.
My redeye lax JFK tonite was cancelled yesterday eve... On UA
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:21 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
I'm sure smart people at AA are monitoring this and working up their storm plan, but I do wish they'd hurry up and start the inevitable cancellations... the waiver is great, but to get refunds for trips, flights have to be cancelled.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation Moderator note

Note that this forum (and the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum) are the two Beta test sites for the new WikiPosts, which are like the old moderator notes inserted into the first post, but so much better. The WikiPost in this thread appears at the top of each page rendered, and contains some links and the AA OSO number.

Currently, during the Beta testing, only moderators can edit the WikiPosts (though they will ultimately be community property), so if a major change in AA's Sandy operations or resources comes up, please use the "Alert a Moderator to this post" function so we can add / modify this thread's WikiPost.

/AA Moderator Team
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
This is so cool. Gotta love FT.

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
http://flightaware.com/live/fleet/AAL/cancelled

Above is the link to a list of cancelled AA flights.

For Mon/Tue, so far only a few international flights got cancelled.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
AA cxls starting. Just got a text on flight into IAD. Cxld.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.