Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

● For up-to-date information on AA's inclement weather travel policy for post-Sandy and other events, see: AA Travel Alerts / Travel Notices and Policy

● For Sandy-specific information, see Hurricane Sandy East Coast - Travel Notice Exception Advisory

● AA OSO (Off Schedule Operations) desk for day of flight issues: 1-800-446-7834 (or your status or reservations line)

● To quickly check your flight: AA Gates and Times page or, as supergrandslam suggests, the AA cargo site.

● To check flight status overall, see FAA NE airports flight delay information or FlightStats Global Delays and Airport Tracker

● For additional information on NYC travel disruptions, see this thread in the NYC Forum: Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

N.B. Weather is a rapidly changing event, so be sure to check sources regularly. A post-Sandy "Nor'easter" is headed to the area at this moment.

/AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Scott McCartney reports

"American Airlines said it was resuming service to all airports on the East Coast except New York, but hopes to have a few flights into JFK Wednesday night. American said it planned to resume passenger flights at Newark on Thursday morning, and LaGuardia on Thursday afternoon. American said flights at Bostons Logan International Airport resumed on Tuesday."

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2012...-york-flights/
I was booked on a 330 flight Sunday from RDU to LGA and my flight as well as all later flights were canceled. Delta and Jet Blue continued to fly their later flights. Reminds me of a year or 2 ago when a hurricane brushed the NC coast and AA decided to cancel all flights into RDU for an entire day while all the other airlines continued normal operations as the hurricane ended up being a dud.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:53 pm

My flight from STL to LGA on Nov 1st is still listed as "on time". I wish they would cancel if they plan to so I can get the full refund and go somewhere else.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by morrisunc
I was booked on a 330 flight Sunday from RDU to LGA and my flight as well as all later flights were canceled. Delta and Jet Blue continued to fly their later flights. Reminds me of a year or 2 ago when a hurricane brushed the NC coast and AA decided to cancel all flights into RDU for an entire day while all the other airlines continued normal operations as the hurricane ended up being a dud.
AA's practice has been to keep planes away from storm areas. Its turned out to be false alarms a couple of times. Otherwise, they have been in a better position to restart operations than if they had the planes sitting in the impacted area.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Never mind my trying to get to LAS story. LIRR just started Penn Station-Jamaica a few hours ago and will be running one per hour tomorrow. Now with some reasonable transportation available that doesn't involve road travel, I will be going to JFK tomorrow to see what happens with my JFK-LAX flight and if I get out.

Last edited by sent; Oct 31, 2012 at 8:38 pm
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:05 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
aa flights out of jfk on 10/31/12

At http://www.panynj.gov/airports/fligh...?view=&apt=JFK, it appears that only 4 flights have/will depart(after 9:30 pm): to MAD (in air), LHR (last flight), ABU DHABI and DUSSULDORF. There are lots of inbounds heading for JFK.
With LGA set to open tomorrow (11/1), perhaps by the weekend, things may get back to "normal" [planes being delayed for obscure mechanicals]
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

There are other sites and tools you can use listed in the WikiPost at the top of the existing Sandy-related thread, where your query has been merged.

/Moderator
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by sent
Never mind my trying to get to LAS story. LIRR just started Penn Station-Jamaica a few hours ago and will be running one per hour tomorrow. Now with some reasonable transportation available that doesn't involve road travel, I will be going to JFK tomorrow to see what happens with my JFK-LAX flight and if I get out.
Thanks for updates but I think Air train remains suspended according to
http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=1685

I will go to JFK tomorrow and may take LIRR+shuttle bus from Jamaica, it looks better than Kew gardens by F-train + Q10 bus.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
At http://www.panynj.gov/airports/fligh...?view=&apt=JFK, it appears that only 4 flights have/will depart(after 9:30 pm): to MAD (in air), LHR (last flight), ABU DHABI and DUSSULDORF. There are lots of inbounds heading for JFK.
With LGA set to open tomorrow (11/1), perhaps by the weekend, things may get back to "normal" [planes being delayed for obscure mechanicals]
It looks all flights out of JFK today are operated by non-AA
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:29 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
That is the way it is listed (the ABU flight is out of T4).
Also the inbound from ZRH is scheduled to arrive at around 11:30 pm, it is NOT #65 (which normally arrives at 1:10 pm).
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Yeah, I saw that. I figured I'll give it a try and see what happens tomorrow.

I know Air Train isn't running, but I'm pretty sure I read there are shuttle buses in its place. I would rather take an Air Train shuttle bus (I took one of these before when Air Train broke down on me once last year) rather than take the F train and wait for the Q10.

I thought I was being smart by asking a friend to drive my car and drop me off at JFK until he pointed out that there is a 3 passenger minimum to drive back into Manhattan between 6 am and midnight (except at the GW bridge).
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
I'm happy to be writing from the AC at JFK. It appears that there a rather full roster of flights departing - the board listed no cancelations when I arrived about 4. The AC had a note that it was closed yesterday because of Sandy but it looks fine to me now. I was able to rebook on the 6:40 flight to SJU which appears to be on time. The upside to the last week of anxiety will be an extra day on the beach. There was no traffic when i left the west side at 3:30 and i got here in record time. Good luck to everyone and thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold
My flight is now delayed 90 minutes - AC agent said "waiting for a captain". I received an email but the board shows on time. Do you trust the email and agent? Or go down to gate? All departures showing "on time". Some arrival delays.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've updated the thread title slightly to more accurately reflect the topics being discussed.

Good luck to all FTers as everyone tries to return to normal, and I speak for all of the moderators and I believe the entire membership when I say that our hearts and best wishes go out to everyone who passed away as a result of the storm.

~Moderator
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
JFK-NYC by taxi

Any feedback on availability of taxis from JFK to NYC? Is taxi ride taking longer than normal? Is the bus from JFK to Port Authority running frequently? Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Any feedback on availability of taxis from JFK to NYC? Is taxi ride taking longer than normal? Is the bus from JFK to Port Authority running frequently? Thanks.
I am at FL now.
I came to JFK by taxi from upper east to JFK and it took only about 30min at around 10AM today.

BUT opposite direction should be different story, i guess it would take 3 hours or more unless public transport is dramatically improved.

Bottomline, do not take a taxi from JFK to Manhattan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.