Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

● For up-to-date information on AA's inclement weather travel policy for post-Sandy and other events, see: AA Travel Alerts / Travel Notices and Policy

● For Sandy-specific information, see Hurricane Sandy East Coast - Travel Notice Exception Advisory

● AA OSO (Off Schedule Operations) desk for day of flight issues: 1-800-446-7834 (or your status or reservations line)

● To quickly check your flight: AA Gates and Times page or, as supergrandslam suggests, the AA cargo site.

● To check flight status overall, see FAA NE airports flight delay information or FlightStats Global Delays and Airport Tracker

● For additional information on NYC travel disruptions, see this thread in the NYC Forum: Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

N.B. Weather is a rapidly changing event, so be sure to check sources regularly. A post-Sandy "Nor'easter" is headed to the area at this moment.

/AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Anything is possible, but those who are already booked will have precedence over the backlogged ones with cancelled flights, and I suspect it will be an iffy proposition to book via JFK with lots of people wanting to fly and pa possible knock-on set of delays etc. even if JFK opens and begins to normalise operations.

Of course, I don't have a crystal ball, nor do I know which city is your destination - but as a consultant who has spent a lot of time on the road, I would probably consider this a good time to purchase a new <insert appropriate set of clothing here> and proceed directly to my next stop.

Note AA's East Coast Travel Policy extends through tomorrow, and there is a current and very active "Sandy" thread. (Soon to be added to that thread...)

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 30, 2012 at 1:45 pm
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Runway lights destroyed @ LGA means that JFK will do double duty handling traffic. Chances of anybody getting onto a flight where they don't hold a seat are close to zero. Best to head to next destination.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Is there any chance this flight is going to get out? I need to get back to NY, get clothes and make it to another city on Thurs. does it look like AA's JFK ops will be back online tomorrow or should I try to route throug a different part of the country to be sure I get where I am going on Thurs?
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

You're talking about flying into a city where the subways are flooded, and the headlines from the local news read: "A DAUNTING RECOVERY
Power Failures and Transportation Systems Crippled by Storm May Take Days to Repair".

Send out your laundry and connect somewhere else, unless you're a big fan of Russian roulette.

(FWIW, it's going to be very hard to have a normal NYC without a functioning subway.)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Originally Posted by dstan
Local news reporting LGA was flooded at the intersection of the two runways at the peak of the surge, but water has since receded.
From the JetBlue blog:

http://blog.jetblue.com/index.php/20..._1653348286_n/

It's very unlikely LGA is opening tomorrow.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - Runway lights destroyed @ LGA means that JFK will do double duty handling traffic. Chances of anybody getting onto a flight where they don't hold a seat are close to zero. Best to head to next destination.
I have a booked and ticketed first class seat from MIA to JFK tomorrow, I am just worried that AA will scrub all their flights, and I need to be out of MIA tomorrow and into CMH thurs.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
A DAUNTING RECOVERY Power Failures and Transportation Systems Crippled by Storm May Take Days to Repair

You're talking about flying into a city where the subways are flooded, and the headlines from the local news read: "A DAUNTING RECOVERY
Power Failures and Transportation Systems Crippled by Storm May Take Days to Repair".

Send out your laundry and connect somewhere else, unless you're a big fan of Russian roulette.
Thanks, yea, it doesn't sound so good. I suppose I can connect through ORD and pick up a winer coat there.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm Reason: redacted duplicate image
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:35 am
Suspended

Just got an email from AA to checkin and upon doing so saw flight status as "cancelled" ORD here we come. Thanks guys, going to be rough on the e.coast for a bit
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by NYCQuaker
Second round of cancellations coming through on the 31st...
Care to expand ?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by JNB280
Care to expand ?
My JFK flight and most to NYC flights that I can see are cancelled for the first 2/3s of the 31st. I was scheduled on the 1005 dfw-jfk
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
AA seems to think LGA will be open Wednesday afternoon. Schedule to land from RDU at 2:29pm. I'm thinking this won't happen?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:08 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time to do laundry.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:13 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I guess we'll get a new thread asking about the changes for each and every flight into/out of New York (and the east cost) for the next couple of days since the consolidated thread on the storm seems not to suffice

Cheers.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Platinum, Amex Centurion HHonors Gold, Lifetime AA Admirals Club
LGA and JFK runways were under water, with wind damage in airport buildings. New York City is crippled, we we won't get back to normal for some days to come.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun
AA seems to think LGA will be open Wednesday afternoon. Schedule to land from RDU at 2:29pm. I'm thinking this won't happen?
Is it an Eagle flight?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by 777Lover2
LGA and JFK runways were under water, with wind damage in airport buildings. New York City is crippled, we we won't get back to normal for some days to come.

I am going to Manhattan on Thursday for the day, at work they dropped my 10 am BOS-LGA flight (DL) and put me on a 6:00 am Amtrak to Penn Station - it should work... I hope.

Any idea when LGA will be ~fully operational?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.