AA's first 77W spotted at Paine Field; new livery speculation

Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fanjet
No it's not. AA's livery is classic. Even coca-cola realized that sometimes it isn't better to change the look.
As the article states, due to the composite makeup of the 787, the polished aluminium is not an option when those birds arrive, thus they need to come up with something new to maintain consistency of the brand.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
As the article states, due to the composite makeup of the 787, the polished aluminium is not an option when those birds arrive, thus they need to come up with something new to maintain consistency of the brand.
I don't think this is the case. There is an effort to rebrand as they exit BK.

Last edited by FightingIlliniUAL; Oct 25, 2012 at 8:21 am
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Kachjc
this is exciting!!
As this directly relates to an existing thread on the 77W, I've gone ahead and merged this thread in. I've also updated the new thread title slightly to include speculation on new livery.

~Moderator
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
I don't think this is the case. There is an effort to rebrand as they exist BK.
I do agree that AA wants to rebrand as they upgrade the fleet (if the pics hold true, and service can match, AA is really shaping up to become the premium carrier in the USA), but I do believe a painted livery is due to the 787's composites (as well as composites that will undoubtedly be used in future aircraft) because AA has always touted the polished metal as being economical: less weight, less waste, lower costs, etc.

In these days of Prius enthusiasm and if/then mental processes to be followed when discarding a candy wrapper, I'd argue this is definitely not the time to be throwing latex chemicals and thinners onto 600+ aircraft for the sake of rebranding; rather, it must be done for the new aircraft on order since polishing metal is not an option.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
I don't think this is the case. There is an effort to rebrand as they exit BK.
I agree that this is also part of the plan, but I was just stating that they couldn't maintain the polished aluminium as part of any rebranded livery due to the 787 composite components.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I agree that this is also part of the plan, but I was just stating that they couldn't maintain the polished aluminium as part of any rebranded livery due to the 787 composite components.
Don't they make silver metallic paint for airplanes like they do for cars? How does Aeroflot do it for their 332s?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does Aeroflot do it for their 332s?
The paint looks completely different than the rest of the AA fleet:
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hillrider
The paint looks completely different than the rest of the AA fleet:
True. And that color seems to blend into the sky as well. Somewhat similar to the A300s. Grey is not the best color in terms of visibility.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by thomdis
True. And that color seems to blend into the sky as well. Somewhat similar to the A300s. Grey is not the best color in terms of visibility.
Hmmm, is that the reason MIL planes are painted gray?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
Hmmm, is that the reason MIL planes are painted gray?
Precisely. Aeronautical camouflage.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

An interesting interpretation:

Old Oct 25, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: 0.4MM
Originally Posted by dayone
An interesting interpretation:

Makes me think of US.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
No it's not. AA's livery is classic. Even coca-cola realized that sometimes it isn't better to change the look.
Agree. AA would be stupid to ditch the scissor eagle logo. Minor tweaks like going from polished aluminum to paint, new typefaces or changing the striping could work but anyone who suggests ditching the scissor eagle is a fool (or a "branding consultant" hack out to make a quick buck).

The cool thing about the scissor eagle is that it can be dressed down (as when paired with the letters "AA" on the tail of airplanes) or dressed up (when just the eagle, without "AA", appears on things like premium cabin menus, interior panels, etc.)

Although this whole livery change idea smacks of rearranging the deck chairs on Titanic.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Herb687
Agree. AA would be stupid to ditch the scissor eagle logo. Minor tweaks like going from polished aluminum to paint, new typefaces or changing the striping could work but anyone who suggests ditching the scissor eagle is a fool (or a "branding consultant" hack out to make a quick buck).

The cool thing about the scissor eagle is that it can be dressed down (as when paired with the letters "AA" on the tail of airplanes) or dressed up (when just the eagle, without "AA", appears on things like premium cabin menus, interior panels, etc.)

Although this whole livery change idea smacks of rearranging the deck chairs on Titanic.
Hell, if United could kill the tulip, anything is possible
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
AA really has no choice to move away from the polished aluminum since it's not possible on the upcoming Airbus narrow bodies and 787 ( if and when those orders ever get confirmed).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.