Citi Visa 10% miles back questions, mile posting delays

Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Citi Visa 10% miles back questions, mile posting delays

As of April 2, certain holders of Citi AA Visa cards get a 10% reduction in the miles required for reward bookings, subject to a maximum of 10,000 miles per year.

The T&Cs say that the account must be open at the tie of redemption, and I was wondering what would happen if I booked an award tomorrow, canceled the card next week, and the 10% miles rebate wwas due to hit my AAdavantage account in late July.

A call to Citi yielded a confused (if reasonable) response that the 10% rebate would not be made, even though the redemption for an award had already occurred. Another good question is when the year starts for purposes of the annual cap. I would guess it is on the card renewal date, but it could be January 1 or for that matter, April 2.

Anyone have any thoughts to add?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: IHG About to Be Demoted, AA Demoted to Nothingness
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader

Anyone have any thoughts to add?
FWIW, I booked a 135,000 mile award on 6/29/2012 and the 10,000 was posted yesterday. Run wild with that sole datum.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
My posting was around five weeks as well.
And I don't actually take the trip until next month.

I think it would be foolish to assume that they don't have software to keep track of this.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Are there any requirements for the rebate, other than booking the award (online or on the phone) and using the card to pay for the fees?
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
When would I get the 10% mileage refund? [Citi Visa]

Hello all,

I'm a citi AAdvantage visa signature card user. This year some benefits were added to the card, one of them are card holders can get 10% refund of the miles they redeem up to 10K miles in a calendar year. I redeemed my miles on Aug 14, but I still cannot see the refund miles posted to my account yet. I want to see if anyone know how long it will take to see the refund show up on their account.

thanks

KC
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: hardly any
A Month Earlier For Me

I redeemed AA miles a month earlier than you, and I too have not yet seen the 10% mileage rebate.

Perhaps it is credited when the miles are actually used.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
IME (I've done two mileage redemption awards this year) the redemption bonus miles will be credited back after the flight has been taken, but with a backdate of when you booked the award reservation.

I booked an AAward for an employee in early July, for a August 22-25 trip. My redemption bonus showed up in last weeks' sweep, with a post date of July 7 which was the day I ticketed the flight.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
I made a > 100k redemption on 4/5/12 and received 10k miles in my June statement (dated 4/5). The flights had not, and still have not, been flown.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread retitled slightly.

~Moderator
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: IHG About to Be Demoted, AA Demoted to Nothingness
Originally Posted by gogomustangs
Hello all,

I'm a citi AAdvantage visa signature card user. This year some benefits were added to the card, one of them are card holders can get 10% refund of the miles they redeem up to 10K miles in a calendar year. I redeemed my miles on Aug 14, but I still cannot see the refund miles posted to my account yet. I want to see if anyone know how long it will take to see the refund show up on their account.

thanks

KC
I did a 135000 mile redemption and got the 10000 back a week or two after it was ticketed. I still haven't flown it. (CX F, baby, can't wait!) I also got 47 miles for the $47 in taxes I paid on that flight.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Google is your friend:

"For benefit to apply, your Citi./.AAdvantage account must be open and active at the time of redemption. This benefit is valid for redemption on or after April 2, 2012. The American.Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles you earn through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage miles you redeem each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage bonus miles you can earn annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles per calendar year, regardless of how many AAdvantage miles you redeem in that calendar year. This benefit only applies to AAdvantage miles redeemed from the primary cardmember's AAdvantage account. Discover all the ways to redeem AAdvantage miles at www.aa.com/redeem. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for the American.Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles to post to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage account."
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:43 am

I got mine pretty fast. I took a flight in June, had them by the start of July.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by sendbillmoney
I did a 135000 mile redemption and got the 10000 back a week or two after it was ticketed. I still haven't flown it. (CX F, baby, can't wait!) I also got 47 miles for the $47 in taxes I paid on that flight.
+1

though I flew Jet Airways. Awesome Business class.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Booked BA flights in May for late August, mileage rebate was 10 days later...
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by bbison
Booked BA flights in May for late August, mileage rebate was 10 days later...
Hi, bbison.

Later than what? Ten days after you booked the flights? Or ten days after the flights were flown?

Cheers,
LBBZman

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.