Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Nizar
They certainly do let you.

The only thing to note is that they price it as two awards. So SYD-AUH-LHR will cost you 100k in F one way as opposed to 80k on QF/BA or via asia (CX/MH).
Yeah - that's what I meant, of course you can do 2 separate awards. 100K is a princely sum but I guess it's only 20K more for great availability on what is ostensibly the best First class product in the world right now (and comparatively a better value than US-ME awards for 90K)
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by tng11
Yeah - that's what I meant, of course you can do 2 separate awards. 100K is a princely sum but I guess it's only 20K more for great availability on what is ostensibly the best First class product in the world right now (and comparatively a better value than US-ME awards for 90K)
I wanted to try EY 789 F IAD-AUH but the price put me off. I ended going home via the West Coast and will instead try EYs new products when I hit Europe later in the year. Will probably give the 789 a miss as I can now book both legs on the 388 Apartments.

Last edited by Nizar; Jan 10, 2015 at 6:32 am
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Nizar
Something I never understood ....
Something you should not wonder about in public, suggest you remove this line before someone from EY or AA sees it
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Something you should not wonder about in public, suggest you remove this line before someone from EY or AA sees it
Edited as requested
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
redacted - please remove
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:57 am

So I've 80,000 American Miles. Looking to treat both my Gf and I to 1st on the way back from UAE to London/Europe in May and would like some advice.

Ideally we would like to fly Etihad.

- A380 Etihad First to Lhr is unavailable for the dates we need (between 30th May and 2nd June).

- Etihad 787-9 First to Dusseldorf is available but is a night flight. Will we be losing a lot of value/enjoyment with it not being a day flight?? What are the main differences?

- Been offered First on Qatar to LHR but not on their new A380 - on their older A340/330 seats/aircraft - and no chauffeur and on-board bar....

- Trying to see if Qatar A380 to CDG is available (is calling AA only way to check this?) - it is a day flight and shows that their are normal restricted first fare seats available...

What is the best way to check for award seats from Middle East to Europe I can book with AA miles without calling AA?

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated. It will be the first time flying first for both of us, so want the best product/experience possible. Etihad was always top of my list....

Or are we being stupid and should we wait for a trip we can make where the etihad A380 first is available?!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:36 am

- Making a BA account is probably the best way of checking oneworld availability. Beware sometimes it shows phantom availability, though - you have to verify by calling.

- I would certainly not take QR old F over EY any F (new or old).

- The 2am-ish flights will basically involve eating in the lounge and sleeping as soon as reaching cruising altitude, unless you make yourself stay up and eat/drink (which, to me, is counterintuitive to flying F). Day flights would be much better for the eating and drinking, and the menu will also be more extensive since the first service on those 2am flights will generally be a snack service.

- As to whether you should use them now or wait for the A380 availability, surely it depends on how easy it would be for you to get those 80k miles again. In many ways, the A380 would be better enjoyed on a longer flight to the US or Australia, which is admittedly more expensive but also means you have a meaningful amount of time to eat, drink, sleep, enjoy IFE and so on.

To me, the European flight block time of 6-7 hours means non-stop sleeping on a night departure, and eating/drinking with just enough time for a snooze on a daytime flight. The flight really needs to be 10h+ to fully make use of the services without "staying up all night".
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:13 pm

Am I still looking 67.5 K AA miles for MCI-SIN (MCI-ORD-AUH-SIN) in business class? or is there any change?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by mak101
Am I still looking 67.5 K AA miles for MCI-SIN (MCI-ORD-AUH-SIN) in business class? or is there any change?
67.5k would be true for North America to Asia 2 if you did not route through a third region (middle east). Your routing would require two awards, US-ME at 67.5k and ME-ASIA2 at 30k for a total of 97.5k.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
67.5k would be true for North America to Asia 2 if you did not route through a third region (middle east). Your routing would require two awards, US-ME at 67.5k and ME-ASIA2 at 30k for a total of 97.5k.
I have no reason to route, but without going to auh is there any other way to book sin for 67.5?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Hey everyone. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with remember how ethiad is with award availability for AUH-SYD. I'm going to assume I have 0 chance of an award in F during December.... But do they pretty much block out January for awards as well?

Hoping to fly the A380 of course
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by scpoints
So I've 80,000 American Miles. Looking to treat both my Gf and I to 1st on the way back from UAE to London/Europe in May and would like some advice.

Ideally we would like to fly Etihad.

- A380 Etihad First to Lhr is unavailable for the dates we need (between 30th May and 2nd June).

- Etihad 787-9 First to Dusseldorf is available but is a night flight. Will we be losing a lot of value/enjoyment with it not being a day flight?? What are the main differences?

- Been offered First on Qatar to LHR but not on their new A380 - on their older A340/330 seats/aircraft - and no chauffeur and on-board bar....

- Trying to see if Qatar A380 to CDG is available (is calling AA only way to check this?) - it is a day flight and shows that their are normal restricted first fare seats available...

What is the best way to check for award seats from Middle East to Europe I can book with AA miles without calling AA?

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated. It will be the first time flying first for both of us, so want the best product/experience possible. Etihad was always top of my list....

Or are we being stupid and should we wait for a trip we can make where the etihad A380 first is available?!
You can search Etihad award space on their website - no need for an account. Look for space labeled "Guest". http://www.etihad.com/en/plan-and-bo...ption-flights/

Looks like business class is available on the A380 for June 2 (2 seats on the 8:35AM flight). Not quite first, of course, but the business class on the A380 does look great and probably better than F on many other airlines. You'd still have the chauffeur (both directions) and on-board bar. It's a day flight, so you could enjoy the on-board amenities more thoroughly. Plus, you'd save yourself 20K miles.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
I have no reason to route, but without going to auh is there any other way to book sin for 67.5?
You can book for 67.5k if you do not transit the middle east region, which means not flying EY. You'd basically have to redeem your miles on a different AA partner.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
You can book for 67.5k if you do not transit the middle east region, which means not flying EY. You'd basically have to redeem your miles on a different AA partner.
Oh ok. Any idea which partner should I use?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Oh ok. Any idea which partner should I use?
CX, JL or AA and/or any combination thereof.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.