FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Transiting LHR: several random questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1340028-transiting-lhr-several-random-questions.html)

Upgraded! Apr 26, 2012 1:15 am

Transiting LHR: several random questions

I feel like airport transit issues come up often enough that perhaps there should even be a thread for it (but I'll leave that up to the powers that be). Anyways, here are mine:

1. UK APD; is there any way to get it refunded if the inbound and outbound flights are on different tickets? I booked a fare that was about to expire and when I called to modify the return to add a flight into the UK the price was wayyyy more than a o/w on BA.

2. When coming off of an overnight flight, I like to shower and eat. I have three options for this:

-Clear immigration, use AA arrivals lounge, check in again for my BA connection to CDG

-Use FCC and use the BA GF

-Book an earlier connection to CDG and just wait until I land there and get to my hotel rather than spending an extra 90-120min at LHR

This will be my first time doing this in some years (LHR is usually o/d or an overnight connection) and don't quite know which option people prefer. I'll be arriving on AA, so no access to BA CCR.

3. Only sort of AA-related, but on my return I'm flying an intra-Europe in Y into LGW; do they have Fast Track immigration and will they let me use the little AA sleeves they give out on the inbound LHR flights?

Andriyko Apr 26, 2012 1:32 am

1. You can only avoid paying the APD on a single ticket or on separate tickets issued in conjunction (and if they refer to each other).

2. I don't know how much time you have before your connecting BA flight but I'd head over to T5 just to make sure I clear security in time.

beerup Apr 26, 2012 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Upgraded! (Post 18463155)
1. UK APD; is there any way to get it refunded if the inbound and outbound flights are on different tickets?

Yes I believe it is possible. I'm pretty sure I read about it on FT but I'm not sure of the specific thread.

Originally Posted by Upgraded! (Post 18463155)
2. When coming off of an overnight flight, I like to shower and eat. I have three options for this:
-Use FCC and use the BA GF

The BA lounge would definitely be my preference.

Dave Noble Apr 26, 2012 1:42 am

Just take the earliest flight and get to your destination and have a shower once there would be my recommendation if you were booked on a through ticket

Being on separate tickets, then you have no protection should you miss your onward flight and could be up for paying for another ticket from London to Paris. In this instance I would suggest heading straight to Terminal 5 and using the facilities in the 1st class lounge there. That way you are through security etc and no worries on how much time it will take to clear security from landside in Terminal 5

Dave

nbevan Apr 26, 2012 2:10 am

Originally Posted by beerup (Post 18463200)
Yes I believe it is possible. I'm pretty sure I read about it on FT but I'm not sure of the specific thread..

I also remember that someone said they had success with this, but as it is not in line the letter of the rules, I would not be too optimistic.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 18463219)
Being on separate tickets, then you have no protection should you miss your onward flight and could be up for paying for another ticket from London to Paris.

We now know that AA does protect missed connections from OW to AA, and I have not seen any complaints of BA not protecting a missed connection from AA to BA (though I don't recall reports of successful protection either). So BA policy on this is uncertain.

Dave Noble Apr 26, 2012 2:29 am

Originally Posted by nbevan (Post 18463274)
We now know that AA does protect missed connections from OW to AA, and I have not seen any complaints of BA not protecting a missed connection from AA to BA (though I don't recall reports of successful protection either). So BA policy on this is uncertain.

They may choose to provide protection but it isn't something I would rely on personally; if it is not a fully flexible onward ticket, I would ensure enough time to avoid risk of having to purchase another ticket

Microwave Apr 26, 2012 2:38 am

Another vote for the Galleries South lounge complex at T5 for shower and lounge time--I'd suggest not wasting your time going landside. Others have said that they save time going landside, but I personally believe it's a total time vampire as the only free transfer to T5 is via the HEX, which runs every 15 minutes and takes about 4-5 to get there. Sure there are queues at flight connections, but once you get there you're put right into the security queue and into the terminal. Plus, the AA arrivals lounge is a dump compared to the Galleries First lounge at T5, and I find the showers about equal to the ones you'll find at the T5 south complex.

sinanju Apr 26, 2012 7:18 am

I also remember that someone said they had success with this, but as it is not in line the letter of the rules, I would not be too optimistic.

I was the guy and it is in the letter of the rules... that's why it was successful.

Here is the thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rade-much.html

brp Apr 26, 2012 7:30 am

Originally Posted by sinanju (Post 18464168)
I was the guy and it is in the letter of the rules... that's why it was successful.

Yes, it was, and can be, successful, but it is an interpretation (and one that can be pushed to have happen :)), but it is not in the letter of the rules. Having one itinerary "reference" another is nebulous, at best.

Cheers.

nbevan Apr 26, 2012 7:32 am

Originally Posted by sinanju (Post 18464168)

I agree that this was within the rules as it was all in one reservation by the TA.

It sounds like the OP made the reservations themselves, which means that it would be outside the rules.

I think that the other case I recall reading was where someone made their own reservations.

Upgraded! Apr 26, 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by brp (Post 18464228)
Yes, it was, and can be, successful, but it is an interpretation (and one that can be pushed to have happen :)), but it is not in the letter of the rules. Having one itinerary "reference" another is nebulous, at best.

Cheers.

So in order to try and receive this favorable "interpretation" would I need to make the second set of flights through AA? Or could I make it through BA (with my AA #) and then call AA to have them link/reference the two itineraries?

I tried to call and have the flight added, like I mentioned, but not only were they having trouble with the add-on, the price for the segment was 5x BA.com's price.

Upgraded! Apr 26, 2012 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 18463219)
Just take the earliest flight and get to your destination and have a shower once there would be my recommendation if you were booked on a through ticket

Being on separate tickets, then you have no protection should you miss your onward flight and could be up for paying for another ticket from London to Paris. In this instance I would suggest heading straight to Terminal 5 and using the facilities in the 1st class lounge there. That way you are through security etc and no worries on how much time it will take to clear security from landside in Terminal 5

Dave

Thanks. I think I can choose to have 1, 2 or 3 hours at LHR. The 1hr connection could be tight, but I'll just have carry-on luggage and my feeling is that the 2hr connection will be plenty of time, but not necessarily enough to shower and eat, so perhaps the 3hr is best in my case if the 1hr is a close call. These tickets are $100 each so after spending north of $3k on the J ticket to LHR it wouldn't be the end of the world if asked to pony up $100 for another ticket (assuming prices haven't gone up since).

hillrider Apr 26, 2012 11:19 am

I add to the chorus that this is in the "letter of the rules"; I did it on a leisure trip with the family, and AA did process an SWU upgrade on it without charging for the APD difference, since no APD was due to begin with. However it had to go through AA tariff to get it done. The original ticket was issued by a TA, the flight summary included the inbound connecting flight, and the record properly annotated with inbound PNR, ticket number, and relevant HRM rule.

The exact rule that applies when you have more than one ticket can be found in HM Revenue and Customs Reference Notice 550 paragraph 4.4:

The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

[...]
b. where they are in separate booklets:

each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction, or
there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question.

Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether two flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.
So if the itinerary/invoice has the connecting segments (and the ticket numbers in remarks for good measure), the connection will qualify for the exemption. The issuance of the second ticket needs to be manually overridden (no tax GB6).

nbevan Apr 26, 2012 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Upgraded! (Post 18465492)
So in order to try and receive this favorable "interpretation" would I need to make the second set of flights through AA? Or could I make it through BA (with my AA #) and then call AA to have them link/reference the two itineraries?

I tried to call and have the flight added, like I mentioned, but not only were they having trouble with the add-on, the price for the segment was 5x BA.com's price.

My interpretation of what hillrider said is that they would all have to be purchased through one organisation (in this case AA) in order to be on one itinerary. But that creates a problem: AA don't sell the cheap BA fares (take a look at what aa.com quotes for the extra flight!).

Upgraded! Apr 26, 2012 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by nbevan (Post 18465900)
But that creates a problem: AA don't sell the cheap BA fares (take a look at what aa.com quotes for the extra flight!).

Oh, I did. BA was quoting GBP 75 for the flight; AA was quoting USD 500!