Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Is BWI still considered Co-terminal with DCA/IAD, allowing for standy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SGP PLT, HH Diamond, Hyatt PLT

Hi Guys~

After failing to try to find the answer myself, I would like to ask your expertise on this >> is BWI still considered co-terminal with DCA/IAD (WAS) for standby purpose? I have a trip planned for 6/1-6/4 from LAX-WAS (ideally to DCA) but I like to get the double elite miles so I am flying through DFW and due to the pricing, BWI is a lot cheaper. Other than it's subject to availability, can one standby for either DCA/IAD for either direction?

Thank you!!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
As far as I know, you cannot stand by from co-terminals.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Fare rules used to include if and WHICH co-terminals were permissible for stand by. And if you read that your desired co-terminal is permitted for standby, not a bad idea to print out the fare rules. It is the agent at the airport who will put you on the standby list or not. Some might not check the actual fare rules and allow standby to a co-terminal which is not permitted by your fare rules. Some might not want to check the fare rules or say co-terminal standby is not permitted when it is, so bring a printed copy and get to the gate early. But if it is not permitted by the fare rules be prepared to fly to the ticketed destination-you can always try at the gate of the flight you want in DFW but these days, with all the financial problems and labor unrest, i would not count on any favors or leniency from AA employees. YMMV.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: A lowly AA Ruby
When I tried about 2 years ago I was denied.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Airlines only let you do this in a Iregular operations situation.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
I went standby from MIA-JFK instead of MIA-LGA and it wasn't a problem. Not sure about checking in at a different co-terminal though.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:43 pm

This question comes up from time to time, and I've never seen a definitive answer. I'd like a definitive answer

I once got an AAngel in the AC to put me on standby for LAX-MIA-DCA when I was confirmed on the LAX-IAD nonstop. I'm assuming I just got lucky, though, because it's not a valid routing.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Yes, BWI is considered co-terminal with the DCA/IAD (link). The downside is that many of the fares to BWI specify "Maryland only" in the rules, so that defeats the purpose. I've also never seen anything in the rules that specifically says you can standby to co-terminals, but I've had agents offer to do so if the fare rules allow it.

STANDBY PROVISIONS
(Applicable to travel between the U.S.A. and the Caribbean)
Passengers holding confirmed reservations and tickets may standby between ticketed city pairs for earlier/later same day flights for which the ticketed fare is applicable at no additional cost. Passengers may standby between ticketed city pairs for earlier/later same day flights on which the ticketed fare does not apply for the difference in fare plus the USD 100.00 change fee. In addition to the original airport of departure/arrival the passenger may check in and standby to/from either airport listed below at no additional cost.

WAS IAD/DCA

Last edited by traveladam; Apr 25, 2012 at 10:25 pm
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by barelyelite
This question comes up from time to time, and I've never seen a definitive answer. I'd like a definitive answer
There's a definitive answer in the wiki.

And co-terminals have NOTHING to do with standby rules.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by barelyelite
The definitive answer is that it is the fare rules of the specific itinerary that determine whether co-terminal stand-by is permissible.

So there is no one answer that applies to any and all situations.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive
In my experience, if there are IRROPS they'll do pretty much anything for you. On the other hand, I wouldn't count on a cheap ticket out of BWI letting you get on the standby list at DCA/IAD.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SGP PLT, HH Diamond, Hyatt PLT
Originally Posted by traveladam
Yes, BWI is considered co-terminal with the DCA/IAD (link). The downside is that many of the fares to BWI specify "Maryland only" in the rules, so that defeats the purpose. I've also never seen anything in the rules that specifically says you can standby to co-terminals, but I've had agents offer to do so if the fare rules allow it.

STANDBY PROVISIONS
(Applicable to travel between the U.S.A. and the Caribbean)
Passengers holding confirmed reservations and tickets may standby between ticketed city pairs for earlier/later same day flights for which the ticketed fare is applicable at no additional cost. Passengers may standby between ticketed city pairs for earlier/later same day flights on which the ticketed fare does not apply for the difference in fare plus the USD 100.00 change fee. In addition to the original airport of departure/arrival the passenger may check in and standby to/from either airport listed below at no additional cost.

WAS IAD/DCA
Thank you, guys! It does seem that it's better not to count on it unless there is a irregular operation. The AA rep did tell me a "NO" after whatever she was reading from for almost 10 min. The fare rule on aa.com does not say anything one way or the other. But I guess for $200 saving, it's probably worth to drive that extra 30 miles from BWI. Only thing is DCA has way more capacity/choices compared to BWI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.