Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
We flew our first international trip since obtaining this credit card, and upon arriving in Tokyo and trying to use the card for JR train tickets, our card was denied. It was continued to be denied at JR and at locations where we tried to charge more than $100 at a pop during our two weeks in Japan. We called upon return to the U.S. and were told that Citibank was trying to protect us from those inappropriately using our card. What a difference between the fine services offered by American Express and AA's Citibank card. This was the second problem we have had with this card since obtaining it in December and find it useless if we cannot use it to obtain the benefits that one is supposed to obtain.
As noted below, your issues are your own:

#1 - Amex also does this routinely. I'm a Cent member, and have had this happen.

#2 - Other banks, aside from Citi also do this routinely, unless you notify them you'll be traveling.

#3 - Get the new chip + pin and you'll minimize the likelihood od this occuring also.

Originally Posted by rrgg
This isn't a problem if you just tell them you'll be traveling.

Chase and Capital One and probably others have the same policy. In fact I've heard of Chase denying all charges. FYI, you could have called Citi from Japan since they will accept a collect call. This should be printed on the back of your card.
Originally Posted by kebosabi
It could also be due to the fact that more and more places in Japan, as with the rest of the world EXCEPT the US, are phasing out the mag-stripe and moving to EMV chip cards. Mag-stripes are ancient 1950s technology by today's standards which is becoming less useful around the world, especially considering that the skimming devices to steal your credit card info can be bought by anyone for less than $100 worth of parts on eBay.

Next time, prepare yourself by getting a card that has the EMV chip feature built in: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html

I suggest the Andrews FCU Globetrek Rewards Chip-and-PIN card. $0 annual fee, 1% forex rate, true Chip-and-PIN, and earns rewards.
Originally Posted by ckendall
Had similar problems with charges refused outside the US from both Amex SPG and Citi Gold AA visa despite my attempts to advise Citi before I left (less so last trip with Citi MC World Elite). I travel outside the US fairly regularly and it seems the new fraud systems mean I have to spend a lot more time convincing the credit card people that it's really me. I will note with Citi that after some fairly egregious issues (refuse charges, call, refuse charges again) they will compensate with miles.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:54 pm

Next time, prepare yourself by getting a card that has the EMV chip feature built in
For those interested, the AAdvantage VISA Signature is now available in chip-and-signature format. I couldn't do it at application time, but called after I got the card, and a EMV-chipped version showed up in 6 days.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by HookemHorns
For those interested, the AAdvantage VISA Signature is now available in chip-and-signature format. I couldn't do it at application time, but called after I got the card, and a EMV-chipped version showed up in 6 days.
That I didn't know; AFAIK Citi's EMV cards so far has only been MCs.

Can you post a photo to verify so that I can update the list to the EMV cards available in the US spreadsheet that I maintain on the credit card forums?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:00 pm

Free checked bag on award ticket for Citi AAdvantage Card holders?

Hey guys,

I guess the title says it all!

I plan on booking an short haul domestic award ticket on AA by using avios. As a holder of Citi Aadvantage credit card will I be eligible for a free checked bag or does that apply only to non award tickets?

Ive also heard that using Avios for AA award tickets used to entitle you to free checked bags but I don't think that works anymore.l.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Existing thread on these benefits:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-benefits.html

Search for "Avios" within that thread, and you'll find the (complex) answer (it's not a simple yes or no!).
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: 2MM by 2013 AA

I have 2 RTW Tickets that I purchased with miles, on march 31st any way to get that 10% back I have had the card for at least 5 years and I just received a email stating that I have all those benefits.

Also have the citi executive card.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:21 pm

Can you post a photo to verify so that I can update the list to the EMV cards available in the US spreadsheet that I maintain on the credit card forums?
Sure. I hadn't seen reference to it either, but I tweeted @AskCiti about the EMV, they had someone call me, and the card showed up 6 days later.

Per the enclosure, it appears to be chip-and-signature style:

Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: Yes.
y
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Search for "Avios" within that thread, and you'll find the (complex) answer (it's not a simple yes or no!).
Just to make your life a little easier, it's SDsearch's post #109 on p8
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Sure. I hadn't seen reference to it either, but I tweeted @AskCiti about the EMV, they had someone call me, and the card showed up 6 days later.

Per the enclosure, it appears to be chip-and-signature style:

Interesting indeed! I @AskCiti twittered today to inquire as well for the VISA but they said it was only available for the MC version.

Anyway, thanks, I'll reference your post to the spreadsheet that AA VISA can be obtained with an EMV chip so that others may have better luck.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
FYI... I called Citibank as I have the Platinum Visa Signature and they told me the EMV wasn't available.

I called back and talked to another agent and they said it was so if you talk to someone that says it isn't then call back.

Last edited by saint; Apr 27, 2012 at 9:41 am
Old May 3, 2012, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
Free first checked bag and priority boarding will apply to travel booked and ticketed on or after April 2, 2012 as long as your reservation includes the primary cardmember’s American Airlines AAdvantage® number.
I emailed Citibank, and they told me in three separate replies that you MUST pay for your flight with the Citibank Aadvantage credit card, and that if you do not, you will not get any of the travel benefits, including the first checked bag free. I am still hoping and wishing that the rep and his supervisor are incorrect. Do you have a name of a Citibank person who says otherwise? i'd like to reference that in my next email to them. Thanks for your infom
Old May 3, 2012, 10:25 am

Citibank told me that my reservation not only had to be linked to my aadvantage number, but had to be paid for using my citibank aadvantage card, and that since I used another credit card, i would not be eligible for the free bag check, nor any of the other travel benefits. Has anyone already traveled with this offer, and gotten the free checked bag, with a flight paid for by a non-citibank aadvantage credit card? thanks!
Old May 3, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I just tried tweeting them, and got this response:

"Great question! Currently, it's only available on our Mastercard products. I'd be happy to go over options with you."
Old May 3, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Originally Posted by hmeyer
I just tried tweeting them, and got this response:

"Great question! Currently, it's only available on our Mastercard products. I'd be happy to go over options with you."
Haha, that's pretty rich, given the scan of the chipped Visa card right on this page! Citi.... right hand, left hand.... no clue!
Old May 3, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by badgerW
Haha, that's pretty rich, given the scan of the chipped Visa card right on this page! Citi.... right hand, left hand.... no clue!
Yeah, I responded to their tweet with a link to the post with the picture. They called me and said they had no idea where the picture came from.

EDIT: Citi just called me again, and I should have the card with EMV chip in 5 business days. The person I talked to said they just started offering the EMV chip for this card 2 weeks ago. Apparently nobody at Citibank got the memo.

Last edited by hm500; May 3, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.