Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Has anyone actually gotten the 10% mileage rebate?

If so, how long did it take?

How did it appear on your AAdvantage statement?
In early June I got the following line on my AA statement:

04/25/12 CITI 10% AWARD RDMPTION BONUS 10,000 0 10,000

So for me, around 6 weeks.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Has anyone actually gotten the 10% mileage rebate?

If so, how long did it take?

How did it appear on your AAdvantage statement?
Yes I have had mine as has my wife. IIRC they posted a week or two after the redemption was made. They post as "CITI 10% AWARD RDMPTION BONUS". Mine posted in multiple batches because I first redeemed around 60k so 6k posted then I redeemed another 100k and the remaining 4k posted. Seems they got the IT right on this one ^
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
So I applied for both the AA Citi Select Amex and the AA Citi Platinum Select Visa. I'm getting close to the max spends and only want to keep one. Which do you use as your primary card and why? Does one card have better benefits (AA or otherwise)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Small potatoes compared to the mileage rebate but has anyone seem the statement credit for the inflight purchases? I have transactions on both the M<C and AMEX versions dating from may without rebate.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:11 am

I didn't see the answer in my scan through this thread, but I apologize if it has been posted. Do you still receive the free checked bag benefit just by having the card if I purchase with a different card? I believe the benefit is tied to your AA# just by possessing the card, but I wanted to verify. Thanks all!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:00 am

Not so exciting- but could be

I received my Platinum American Airlines card a few months ago. I travel alot so the double miles are nice, but I have found that when you book travel through their concierge, the fares are higher than American Express Centurion agents can get. In fact, the concierge has been unable to get me ballet and opera and theater tickets like the Amex Centurion concierge can. I think this AA card is a great idea but they need to upgrade the quality of the concierge. In addition, they should have deals with hotels to upgrade you and give you benefits like centurion does. Right now I use my AA card to buy the flights but I still use centurion for everything else.
Here are some ideas for you to make me use my AA Platinum card instead of my AmexCenturion card:
1. Better concierge for hard to get tickets, restaurant ideas, etc
2. Double or triple elite miles on purchases on hotels and tickets made through the concierge
3. Special access to events for cardholders
4. 1-2 international upgrade certificates per year.
5. Buy one get one free companion tickets like Amex Centurion does. Or buy one business class and get an upgrade to business class for the companion.
6. Ability to upgrade to business class or first class at an earlier time than other Executive platinum and Platinum members.
7. Offer for an international trip at a reduced cost once milestones have been reached.
Just some thoughts,

Leslie Baumann
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL GLD, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Leslie Baumann
I received my Platinum American Airlines card a few months ago. I travel alot so the double miles are nice, but I have found that when you book travel through their concierge, the fares are higher than American Express Centurion agents can get. In fact, the concierge has been unable to get me ballet and opera and theater tickets like the Amex Centurion concierge can. I think this AA card is a great idea but they need to upgrade the quality of the concierge. In addition, they should have deals with hotels to upgrade you and give you benefits like centurion does. Right now I use my AA card to buy the flights but I still use centurion for everything else.
Here are some ideas for you to make me use my AA Platinum card instead of my AmexCenturion card:
1. Better concierge for hard to get tickets, restaurant ideas, etc
2. Double or triple elite miles on purchases on hotels and tickets made through the concierge
3. Special access to events for cardholders
4. 1-2 international upgrade certificates per year.
5. Buy one get one free companion tickets like Amex Centurion does. Or buy one business class and get an upgrade to business class for the companion.
6. Ability to upgrade to business class or first class at an earlier time than other Executive platinum and Platinum members.
7. Offer for an international trip at a reduced cost once milestones have been reached.
Just some thoughts,

Leslie Baumann
lol.....so what is your proposed yearly fee for this card to have "your dream" benefits?? 4-7 are just simply ridicoulus......

btw....welcome to FT!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
So I applied for both the AA Citi Select Amex and the AA Citi Platinum Select Visa. I'm getting close to the max spends and only want to keep one. Which do you use as your primary card and why? Does one card have better benefits (AA or otherwise)?
On the subset of benefits I use, they have identical benefits. But that's perhaps because I only use my AA cards for AA purchases, AAdvantage Dining restaurants, and the occasional other purchase (mostly when the billing cycle timing on the AA card is better for me for a particular purchase than the billing cycle timing on my primary all-purpose card, which for me is my Diners Club MC).

But there's a very simple reason why I'm keeping my Visa and dumping my Amex: There are AAdvantage Dining restaurants that don't give miles for Amex (some of them don't take Amex, but others take Amex but don't give miles for them). On the other hand, I've never run into any AAdvantage Dining restuarnts that didn't give miles for Visa.

And furthermore, if I were using the card more widely, I can't use an Amex for a photo processing center I do a lot of spend with, I can't use an Amex for at least one of my utilities that I can pay with a credit card online, but I can use a Visa with both.

So the Amex would have to have major features to offset that, but I'm not aware of any.

(I already have "always primary" collision/theft coverage for rentals cars on my Diners Club MC, so I'm not looking for which AA cards provide something close to that and which don't. But IIRC it's not the Amex anyway, but either the Visa or the MC, per a discussion I remember seeing in the Credit Cards forum.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
On the subset of benefits I use, they have identical benefits. But that's perhaps because I only use my AA cards for AA purchases, AAdvatnage Dining restaurants, and the occasional other purchase (mostly when the billing cycle timing on the AA card is better for me for a particular purchase than the billing cycle timing on my primary all-purpose card, which for me is my Diners Club MC).

But there's a very simple reason why I'm keeping my Visa and dumping my Amex: There are AAdvantage Dining restaurants that don't give miles for Amex (some of them don't take Amex, but others take Amex but don't give miles for them). On the other hand, I've never run into an AAdvantage Dining restuarnts that didn't give miles for Visa.

And furthermore, if I were using the card more widely, I can't use an Amex for a photo processing center I do a lot of spend with, I can't use an Amex for at least of my utilities that I can pay with a credit card online, but I can use a Visa with both.

So the Amex would have to have major features to offset that, but I'm not aware of any.

(I already have "always primiary" collision/theft coverage for rentals cars on my Diners Club MC, so I'm not looking for which AA cards provide something close to that and which don't. But IIRC it's not the Amex anyway, but either the Visa or the MC, per a discussion I remember seeing in the Credit Cards forum.)
Thank you! Excellent points.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
I read over most of the thread, and searched, but didn't see an answer. If you have more than one Citi AA card do you get multiple 10%'s back per ticket?

Say I book a 100K award...I have three Citi AA cards with the 10% benefit, do I get 10K or 30k?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
I read over most of the thread, and searched, but didn't see an answer. If you have more than one Citi AA card do you get multiple 10%'s back per ticket?

Say I book a 100K award...I have three Citi AA cards with the 10% benefit, do I get 10K or 30k?
I asked this question and was told you'd only get 10k.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by pwdump
I didn't see the answer in my scan through this thread, but I apologize if it has been posted. Do you still receive the free checked bag benefit just by having the card if I purchase with a different card? I believe the benefit is tied to your AA# just by possessing the card, but I wanted to verify. Thanks all!
From what we've seen, you only get the free checked bag benefit if you used the card to buy the ticket.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Originally Posted by nall
I asked this question and was told you'd only get 10k.
Thanks for your help! Can anyone with multiple cards confirm this/have any experience with this?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
Thanks for your help! Can anyone with multiple cards confirm this/have any experience with this?
Yes.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
From what we've seen, you only get the free checked bag benefit if you used the card to buy the ticket.
Are you sure? I've seen it said that that once the AA system knows the card is in your account, the benefits are tied to your account, no matter how your purchase the ticket. That can be important if you're booking in way that doesn't require payment with a card at all (for example, a fare paid totally with an AA VDB -- bumped passenger -- voucher can't be paid for by your card!).

My understanding was you had to have the card linked to your account (is it enough to have it opened with your account number, or do you have to periodically use it so that miles from it post to AA? that I don't know), and the reservation has to have your account number in it.

For example, unless booking with Alaska miles has the same benefit for other reasons, you would not have the benefit if you booked a trip on AA with Alaska miles and left it linked to your Alaska account, but I thought you would have the benefits if you booked a trip on AA with Alaska miles but then after booking changed it to have your AA account be the one associated with that reservation. (If you have status at AA and not at Alaska, you use the same trick to be able to get AA status-related benefits on an AA flight booked with Alaska.) Alsska is just an example, the same would be the case with any partner whose miles you can use for AA flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.