Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by fanjung
Thank you~
I hope I find Korean speaking agent
Perhaps this is addressed down thread but you might send AA an email and ask if they have a dedicated number for customers who speak Korean.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Perhaps this is addressed down thread but you might send AA an email and ask if they have a dedicated number for customers who speak Korean.
This may help...

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/where...kets/korea.jsp

With the new service DFW-ICN, I know AA is hiring Korean-speaking FAs, I'm guessing some other Korean-speaking support staff will join as well, but the above link is all I could find.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:41 am

Very helpful thread.

Given that Qatar and Sri Lankan flights are now available as part of the paid Global Explorer ticket, are they also now available for the Explorer award given the different rules for each product?

http://www.oneworld.com/news-informa...objectID=54135
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by wanderawhile
Very helpful thread.

Given that Qatar and Sri Lankan flights are now available as part of the paid Global Explorer ticket, are they also now available for the Explorer award given the different rules for each product?

http://www.oneworld.com/news-informa...objectID=54135
Very unlikely. The explorer award is explicitly only valid on oneworld carriers, so you will have to wait until those airlines join oneworld before you can use them.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:30 pm
Suspended

It's not just unlikely. It's a certainty.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Thanks to the advice in this thread, I have my first oneworld/Explorer award on hold. My itinerary is NRT-HKG(connect)-BKK(4 nights)-KUL(1 night)-CDG(3 nights)-AMM(1 night)-JFK(connect)-DCA; approx. 18200 mi, redeeming 130K for Business Class.

The EXP desk agent quoted me $212.10 in taxes/fees for the award. Does that sound right? Since this is my first redemption of this type I wanted to double check. Using Matrix, I got the following list of taxes/fees:

CX YR Surcharge (YR) - $62.00
Japan International Passenger Fcility Surcharge (SW) - $21.40
Passenger Security Service Charge (OI) - $5.30
YQ - $53.00
MH YR Surcharge (YR) - $5.00
YQ - $5.00
Thailand Passenger Service Charge (TS) - $23.70
Malaysia Passenger Service & Security Charge (MY) - $20.80
YQ - $187.00
MH YR Surcharge - $5.00
YQ - $5.00
French Aviation Civile Tax (FR) - $10.00
French Interntional Passenger Service Charge (QX) - $35.80
French Airport Tax (FR) - $16.50
French Air Passenger Solidarity Tax (IZ) - $51.80
RJ YQ Surcharge (YQ) - $4.20
RJ YR Surcharge (YR) - $174.30
RJ YQ Surcharge (YQ) - $5.00
US 9/11 Security Fee (AY) - $2.50
US International Arrival Tax (US) - $17.20
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) - $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) - $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) - $5.50
Jordan Embarkation Tax (HQ) - $56.50
Jordan Passenger Terminal Use Fee (NH) - $8.50
RJ YR Surcharge (YR) - $241.90
RJ YQ Surcharge (YQ) - $5.00
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) - $4.50

I know that AY, XA, XY, and YC apply, for a total of $20, but after eliminating the various YR/YQ surcharges, I'm unsure which of the remaining taxes/fees apply. The closest I've been able to calculate to the quote I received is $213.90, using the various "Passenger Service and Security" charges, the French "solidarity" tax, and the Jordanian embarkation fee (OI, TS, MY, QX, IZ, and HQ). Am I adding up the right line items?

Thanks all for your help.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:53 pm

Hi,

I've been following this forum for over a year and have read all the posts (I'm still trying to figure out a few things), but I would like to know if anyone can guide me and either make suggestions/recommendations on routing. I am interested in redeeming AA miles for a Business Class oneworld/explorer ticket. My main interest is South Africa. I do prefer to avoid LHR (because of the taxes and fees).

Here is what I am working around, any help would be appreciated.

GCP has this as 31,528.

JFK-HKG (CX)
HKG-JNB (CX)
JNB-SYD (QF)
SYD-LAX or DFW - JFK (AA)

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by usacitygal
Hi,

I've been following this forum for over a year and have read all the posts (I'm still trying to figure out a few things), but I would like to know if anyone can guide me and either make suggestions/recommendations on routing. I am interested in redeeming AA miles for a Business Class oneworld/explorer ticket. My main interest is South Africa. I do prefer to avoid LHR (because of the taxes and fees).

GCP has this as 31,528.

JFK-HKG (CX)
HKG-JNB (CX)
JNB-SYD (QF)

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to FT!

Your proposed routing would be valid for an Explorer award. What kind of assistance are you seeking?

Note that the JNB Airport Wikipedia article indicates that IB will be resuming MAD-JNB service in September. Also, QR will be joining oneworld, probably by early 2014. When is your trip going to occur?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by usacitygal
Hi,

GCP has this as 31,528.

JFK-HKG (CX)
HKG-JNB (CX)
JNB-SYD (QF)

Thanks in advance.
I echo guv's questions and also would ask if you are just wanting to go to South Africa or if you are looking to stop off and spend time in HKG and SYD? If South Africa is your goal, then potentially there are easier ways than an Explorer award to make it happen (not sure, but maybe).
Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:48 am

Hi all, I did a search but didn't find this. Can I change the destination after the trip begins? Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by lichenlt
Hi all, I did a search but didn't find this. Can I change the destination after the trip begins? Thanks.
No. From the first post of this thread:

(3) Once the ticket is issued, a person is not allowed to change the name of the passenger, the routing (including stopovers or connections) of a segment, or the airline for a segment. For example:

(B) A person would not be allowed to substitute Brisbane for Sydney as the connecting point when flying from Cairns to Los Angeles.
(C) A person would not be allowed to make a Los Angeles to Brisbane flight nonstop if it was originally ticketed as Los Angeles to Brisbane with a connection in Sydney.
(D) A person would not be allowed to change a connection or stopover in San Francisco (SFO) to a co-terminal of that airport (San Jose (SJO) or Oakland (OAK)).
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by sellouts
I saw that, but it didn't say anything about the destination. Is it the same as a stopover?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by sellouts
I saw that, but it didn't say anything about the destination. Is it the same as a stopover?
No routing changes are permitted. Changing the destination would be a change of the routing.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

No routing changes are permitted. Changing the destination would be a change of the routing.
what if there was a schedule change for the last segment? Can I then change the destination city?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976

what if there was a schedule change for the last segment? Can I then change the destination city?
Maybe. It might depend on how significant the schedule change was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.