Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:39 am

Assembling 2015 "Explorer AAward".

With 7 less segments and 4 less stopovers than 2014 (150,000 AAmiles), the 2015 AAmiles are 217,000.

US-MAD = 50K
MAD-IST = 20K
IST-DOH-HKG = 52.500 or IST-KUL-HKG on MA
HKG-DAD = 15 (Y only)
DAD-HKG-NRT = 30K
NRT-ORD = 50K

No fun.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by zznoname
IST-KUL-HKG on MA
FYI, Malaysia is MH. MA is Malv Hungarian Airlines which was indeed part of oneworld until February 2012 when it ceased to operate.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Layover

Deleted

Last edited by MrJBoy; Sep 24, 2014 at 2:43 pm Reason: Wrong thread
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I want to fly oneway BKK-HND-HIJ on JL.
If there are available connections at HND within 6 hours, do I need to take the connection flight or can I take an available flight the next day within 24 hours to make it only one oneway award?
Think you're in the wrong thread - check out the one for partner awards.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
Help? One flight canceled, rescheduling breaks rules

Any suggestions for my situation:
Cathay canceled my non-stop SIN-CMB. So they changed to a new flight SIN-HKG-CMB, still on Cathay.

From the rules:
(3) Once the ticket is issued, a person is not allowed to change the name of the passenger, the routing (including stopovers or connections) of a segment, or the airline for a segment. (But at least one member of flyertalk has been allowed to convert a stopover at a particular airport to a connection at the same airport, or vice versa, after ticketing.) For example:
I'm trying to get AA/oneworld to change me to Sri Lanka Airline nonstop.

Seems like either way, my flight violates the rule quoted: Either I've changed routing with a new connection in HKG or I'm changing airlines.
They seem to balk at changing airlines (even tho the Sri Lankan flight prices out at 10% of the Cathay.) more than the routing rule.
One agent says SriLanka doesn't particpate in pre-booked explorer awards.

But I really don't want to turn 4 hours travel into 14, most of it the wrong way.

Somewhat less sucky option: I switch to SIN-BKK-CMB on Cathay.
At least I get an evening in BKK but get into CMB at a ridiculous hour.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:07 am

I would try calling a few times. In my (limited) experience, significant schedule changes do allow for a little more flexibility in changing your itinerary - I had to do the stopover/connection change myself. In this case you're going to need to either change routing or carrier - I'm guessing it might be marginally easier for them to keep you on CX with another routing, but I don't see why they couldn't switch to UL and keep the routing.

(As I write this, I realize that you might also have the issue that UL recently joined the alliance, post Explorer awards... not sure if that is what the agent was referencing.)
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sk3x
...(As I write this, I realize that you might also have the issue that UL recently joined the alliance, post Explorer awards... not sure if that is what the agent was referencing.)
That most definitely is a (if not, the,) issue-- UL not a valid carrier for a Oneworld/explorer reward.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That most definitely is a (if not, the,) issue-- UL not a valid carrier for a Oneworld/explorer reward.
Yeah, thanks. I'll definitely be calling again, but after letting the dust settle on the phone lines a bit after this weekend's incident in Chicago. It didn't work very well with my agent trying to get ahold of the oneworld desk yesterday.
I may try to get on a Malaysia flight via KL.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Wound up with CX SIN-BKK-CMB. On about the 5th call for this reschedule, one agent did finally bring up the "no change carrier, no change cities" rule so I had to point out I was forced to break that rule by their schedule change. But apparently they weigh the airline change over connection city change. I'm finding AA rather difficult to deal with on the changes. Their agents have generally been the ones suggesting the alternate itins, and the next-to-last one (SIN-KUL-CMB on Malaysian) was booked/ticketed by a supervisor before something in their system (a couple days later) threw it out as invalid and made me call back.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:48 am

Bummer, but glad you got an alternate routing that didn't make you backtrack 1,500 miles. One of the other things I considered suggesting was to see if they could turn it into an open jaw (potentially adding another one), but that would obviously require you to pay or use miles to get from SIN to CMB.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:25 pm

Hey,

Can I just use book to book this route by using AA miles?
PDX-HNL-akl-syd-dps-sin-pen-hkg-tpe-tyo-ctu-ist-mil-pdx

Thanks,
Orchidvoyage
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by orchidvoyage
Hey,

Can I just use book to book this route by using AA miles?
PDX-HNL-akl-syd-dps-sin-pen-hkg-tpe-tyo-ctu-ist-mil-pdx

Thanks,
Orchidvoyage
You can use AA miles to book any number of one-way awards, and you can combine those awards as you like.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:46 pm

Does anyone know whether any of the other oneworld member airlines are offering their oneworld award equivalents? Or have these too gone the way of the dodo?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by ajacpril
Does anyone know whether any of the other oneworld member airlines are offering their oneworld award equivalents? Or have these too gone the way of the dodo?
Yes. Most oneworld carriers still have the distance-based explorer style awards, such as BA, CX, JL, etc. However, they are nowhere near as favorable in mileage pricing as AA's discontinued explorer award.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Yes. Most oneworld carriers still have the distance-based explorer style awards, such as BA, CX, JL, etc. However, they are nowhere near as favorable in mileage pricing as AA's discontinued explorer award.
Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.