Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA 21 JFK-LAX: Return to gate because of one passenger too many on board

AA 21 JFK-LAX: Return to gate because of one passenger too many on board

Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:57 pm

Delete

Last edited by FlyHigh74; Feb 22, 2012 at 9:35 pm
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:06 pm

FAs do not do a headcount after an evacuation. They do ensure that all pax's are clear of the aircraft, though.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
At DFW I found one of the Ambassadors trying to help a chap unfamiliar with DFW flying to SMF last week; I offered to assist. He had arrived from GUA and had processed ICE and TSA. The BP he showed us was - not from DFW, and from October! The TSA had allowed him in with an outdated, used BP. It's not merely the GA or the reader that can go wrong... and it's not just FTers who keep their old boarding passes!

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Didn't a guy get on a Virgin flight with an old boarding pass not too long ago?

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/boardi...1#.T0Lc6PEgd8s
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by skylady
FAs do not do a headcount after an evacuation. They do ensure that all pax's are clear of the aircraft, though.
Must depend on the carrier because at mine I KNOW they do. They are even suppose to take the F/A paperwork/manifest with them and mark off names of passengers present after an evacuation.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by M11Stephen

Having an accurate list of every single person on that plane is crucial to safety and security and is something my colleagues and I take very seriously.
An accurate manifest has zero to do with security and very little to do with safety. Other than revenue management, it's not worth the time to bother with it compared to the unlikely event it would actually be useful.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
An accurate manifest has zero to do with security and very little to do with safety. Other than revenue management, it's not worth the time to bother with it compared to the unlikely event it would actually be useful.
So you, as a passenger, would feel comfortable with the pilots, F/A, and CSA not knowing the exact number of passengers on your plane and there potentially being an unknown person on board your aircraft not listed on the manifest?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
So you, as a passenger, would feel comfortable with the pilots, F/A, and CSA not knowing the exact number of passengers on your plane and there potentially being an unknown person on board your aircraft not listed on the manifest?
As a passenger, and as someone who does statistics for a living, any concern that begins with "But if the plane crashes..." automatically gets relegated to the bin of issues too irrelevant to worry about.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:15 pm

You must be new around here.

To answer your question: I would be extremely comfortable. All passengers should be able to travel anonymously and whether someone gets on or off the plane at the last minute is of absolutely no concern to me, just like riding a bus or taking a train.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:53 pm

But what would you do if someone was missing from your car pool? Statistically, would that be more dangerous?

The extra passenger issue would not, IMO, constitute a danger, other than to the extra passenger possibly arriving at the incorrect destination. (Unfortunately statistics are merely that - I have lost two close friends in aircraft crashes; I do not worry, but it is within the realm of possibility.)

Originally Posted by Science Goy
As a passenger, and as someone who does statistics for a living, any concern that begins with "But if the plane crashes..." automatically gets relegated to the bin of issues too irrelevant to worry about.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I once was checked in under another passenger's name - same last name, different first names - with Airtran at MCO. This was not too long after 9/11 when you had show BP and photo ID twenty thousand times between the check-in counter and the gate (including as you boarded). So at least 3 people supposedly checked my BP against my ID, and my BP was scanned, never catching the error. (I never paid attention either, obviously)

It wasn't until the person whose name was on my BP arrived at my seat, with me in it, that we knew there was a problem. It took about 5 minutes to sort it out, luckily my seat hadn't been given away since I had never "checked in" prior to the cutoff time and it was, (to quote every GA on every flight) "a very full flight"

Nothing is foolproof I guess.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:50 pm

That's for sure! We returned to the gate on a recent LAX-LHR flight because - the Captain had left the aircraft's log behind after some minor repairs had been accomplished prior to our departure at the gate. Yeah, we had progressed to number one for takeoff.

You are quite correct - BP readers, TSA security checkers, GAs, noting about flying is fool proof, and we still have mechanical breakdowns and weather.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I once was checked in under another passenger's name - same last name, different first names - with Airtran at MCO. This was not too long after 9/11 when you had show BP and photo ID twenty thousand times between the check-in counter and the gate (including as you boarded). So at least 3 people supposedly checked my BP against my ID, and my BP was scanned, never catching the error. (I never paid attention either, obviously)

It wasn't until the person whose name was on my BP arrived at my seat, with me in it, that we knew there was a problem. It took about 5 minutes to sort it out, luckily my seat hadn't been given away since I had never "checked in" prior to the cutoff time and it was, (to quote every GA on every flight) "a very full flight"

Nothing is foolproof I guess.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
(The famous case was the LAX pax who was headed to OAK and awoke some time later - en route to AKL!)
I recall that guy got to be on Letterman or one of the other late shows.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Spiff
To answer your question: I would be extremely comfortable. All passengers should be able to travel anonymously and whether someone gets on or off the plane at the last minute is of absolutely no concern to me, just like riding a bus or taking a train.
You'd be comfortable right up until you didn't get proper credit for a flight and when you called back to retro-claim it they told you "sorry, we have no record of you being on this flight"
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
You'd be comfortable right up until you didn't get proper credit for a flight and when you called back to retro-claim it they told you "sorry, we have no record of you being on this flight"
I always keep my BP as proof.

(and in case I need to evict a seat-poacher!)
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I still get a kick out of the people who instead of flying to SYD end up in Sydney,NS.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4513025/
Cheers
Howie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.