Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by SylvesterDisco1978
Board chairman for major companies don't do much of anything these days, it's basically a sinecure.
Exactly - had Horton embraced being open to the merger from the beginning instead of making all those bush league CEO comments about us airways being insignificant he would have had a chance at running the merged carrier. Parker has totally bitc@ slapped Horton in this process.

Although I prefer to see the carriers stay independent for selfish reasons I due tend to pull for the underdog when forced to pick a side.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:35 pm

It sounds like they've reached the point where they're just deciding who sits where at the table.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JetAway
It sounds like they've reached the point where they're just deciding who sits where at the table.
It sounds like to keep Horton from being the fly in the ointment he is being given a token position on the Board.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by morrisunc
<snip>
Although I prefer to see the carriers stay independent for selfish reasons I due tend to pull for the underdog when forced to pick a side.
I pull for the best solution/outcome, YMMV

Regards
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Thank you for the personal attack on my intellectual capacity. Much appreciated.

The only objective way one can view the potential behavior of someone in a role is to view their past behavior in a similar role. Parker started with "US is a LCC." The it was "oh, wait, we're a legacy carrier." When oil prices spiked US did everything but start sky writing to drum up revenue with investing in HVCs that drive the profitability for airlines that run a hub and spoke model. Parker walked into the strongest carrier on the east coast and and watched an the competition ate this lunch. US had over 120 flights a day at LGA and could not figure out how to make that work in the most lucrative airline market in the world. That to me would be cause for termination.

Look, I used to a CP with US and watched the rather precipitous decline of that airline post-merger with HP. It was a disaster. I have NO reason to believe Parker will do any better with AA's assets.
It was hardly a personal attack. I specifically outlined the misleading and nonsensical elements of your hype.

US was about to liquidate when HP merged with them - hardly a "strong" carrier --

Parker or anyone isn't going to come in and burn down the house - and dismantle AA's strengths.

Whether the merger happens or not, I expect AA will devalue and loyalty rewards in the future will be more closely linked to $$$ spent.

I'm not a Parker fan - but then again there are risks in Horton's plan - neither is a wonderful option - most folks who aren't PRing it up for one airline or another can see that pretty clearly. The fact that AA JV partners are openly supports a merger calls into question that Horton's stand alone plan - which is based on growing JV revenue - can achieve those objectives. At the same time as I have said before both sides are obviously inflating their revenue projections and costs savings to support their plan. In all likelihood neither plan will achieve what is being sold.

Of course there are some folks who just will ignore anything positive US has done - like TATL Envoy Class - which is essentially what AA is now installing.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:05 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation Seriously???

Originally Posted by belynch
Despite the hyperbole here on FT, UA isn't all that terrible.
You said this is to be joke, right???!!!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
It sounds like to keep Horton from being the fly in the ointment he is being given a token position on the Board.
Same thing happened to Glenn T. at UA.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
How long would a merger take to be finalized?

Dumb question but would it impact an AA award (using Alaska Air points) I have this Summer?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
Dumb question but would it impact an AA award (using Alaska Air points) I have this Summer?
Unlikely.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
How long would a merger take to be finalized
a lot longer than six months. Look at UA. It's taken almost two years...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
2-3 years!

It's going to be the Jerry Springer show everyday!

How long would a merger take to be finalized?

Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Chairman of the Board is hardly a token position unless the guy who holds it wants it to be.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by taliesin
Chairman of the Board is hardly a token position unless the guy who holds it wants it to be.
It really depends on how it is set up. For example, would it be until a specific short-term date (within a year) with Parker designated to take the position on that date.

Either way if they are making Horton take Parker it is akin to a no-confidence vote, although I do think as I have said they have a ying-yang potential.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by morrisunc
Exactly - had Horton embraced being open to the merger from the beginning instead of making all those bush league CEO comments about us airways being insignificant he would have had a chance at running the merged carrier. Parker has totally bitc@ slapped Horton in this process.
I don't think Horton has any desire to run a merged AA/US. If I were him, I too would want the Chairman gig for a bit, a nice payout, then leave as the inevitable freakshow that will be AA/US integration unfolds.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by taliesin
A position with no real executive authority, and only gets involved in the affairs of the company a few times per year is indeed a token position. Modern day BODs of publicly traded companies don't do much these days, which admittedly poses its own set of problems in corporate governance, but I digress.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.