Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:31 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Just saw the interview with Delta CEO (regarding the Delta-Virgin deal).
If there is 1 person who is 100% sure that US & American will merge it is him.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
By the way, I liked how you glossed over the fact that your superstar CEO, Anderson, was at the helm of Northworst when the airline went into BK. Big deal that he was able to restructure and take advantage of the system..
Richard Anderson left Northwest in 2004 for United Health. Northwest filed for Chapter 11 on Sep 15 2005, same day as Delta. Doug Steenland, not Anderson, was CEO of Northwest at the time of the BK filing.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by loudnotes
+1

This should be required reading for the creditors' committee, though I suspect many of them may have a longer time horizon than you suggest. Bondholders will be looking to maximize their recovery. If it's higher IRR to invest longer term, they will. But that doesn't change the (IMO correct) conclusion, which is that a merger is extremely unlikely to create value for anybody except for US shareholders.
Another +1

This is exactly the right way to think about it. American's big mistake was not filing for bankruptcy reorganization at the same time post-9/11 as the other airlines. Had it done so, it would have been able to acquire NW, which would have given it an Asian route structure that would have had significant strategic value. By holding out until two of the three merger partners had already paired off, it is left with the ugly girl at the dance. US has little strategic value for AA, and the benefits of a merger are nearly all in the form of industry rationalization, which flow almost as much to DL and UA as to AA. This is all water under the bridge for AA from a strategic standpoint. It has made its bed, and must now lie in it, irrespective of who runs the combined company and when the merger occurs.

As a bondholder of AA, who will convert into a stockholder post-reorganization, I think I might do better if AA waited until US filed for bankruptcy again, at which point I could cherrypick the pieces I wanted (like the Shuttle, perhaps CLT) and simply allow the remainder to liquidate. I expect this is the aimed-for endpoint of the NewAASA plan, and we will see whether the unsecured creditors in aggregate are going to insist on the bird in the hand (merger with US in the near term) or whether they are willing to give it more time to see whether AA can get a more financially advantageous deal later.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
I believe that deal increased the likelihood of a US/AA deal. Now as to whether DL did it to FORCE a US/AA deal that he knows will cost money and be distracting is anyone's guess. I wouldn't put it past DL (and VA) to do that sort of thing, especially considering that AA (and BA) represents the greatest threat to both DL and VA in the London market...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by lhl12
As a bondholder of AA, who will convert into a stockholder post-reorganization, I think I might do better if AA waited until US filed for bankruptcy again, at which point I could cherrypick the pieces I wanted (like the Shuttle, perhaps CLT) and simply allow the remainder to liquidate.
+1 ^^^

The LAST thing AMR needs is to saddle themselves with more labor headaches, an unprofitable domestic network, redundant hubs (PHL, PHX in particular). The focus now appears to be on higher value, longer haul service, leaving more feeder service to partners (AE, AS, B6) and the results to date are quite positive.

LCC also has some interesting routes to Europe, Mexico and the Carribean, TLV, better to pick them up during LCC's Chapt 7 liquidation.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by diver858
LCC also has some interesting routes to Europe, Mexico and the Carribean, TLV, better to pick them up during LCC's Chapt 7 liquidation.
I still think LUV will absorb LCC before it gets to Chapter 7, though the acquisition may be how LCC exits Chapter 11.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I still think LUV will absorb LCC before it gets to Chapter 7, though the acquisition may be how LCC exits Chapter 11.
After studying Spirit's network, I would think Spirit acquiring LCC would be a match for Spirit. LCC has very little of what the legacy carriers want, but matches well for Spirit. Spirit acquiring LCC would give LUV some competition, and with LUV's higher pricing, Spirit could continue their business model of picking the low hanging fruit on a much bigger scale.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Richard Anderson left Northwest in 2004 for United Health. Northwest filed for Chapter 11 on Sep 15 2005, same day as Delta. Doug Steenland, not Anderson, was CEO of Northwest at the time of the BK filing.
You realize there are some folks who don't care about facts @:-)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
After studying Spirit's network, I would think Spirit acquiring LCC would be a match for Spirit. LCC has very little of what the legacy carriers want, but matches well for Spirit. Spirit acquiring LCC would give LUV some competition, and with LUV's higher pricing, Spirit could continue their business model of picking the low hanging fruit on a much bigger scale.
Now there are two airlines that deserve one another!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
NK running international longhaul service with premium cabins and the Shuttle? Seriously? I think not.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:34 pm
Suspended

While not likely another reason AA may be pressured into merging with US - if AA doesn't, some wall street banker dream of combining Spirit, Frontier and USAirways to form a significant fourth 'major' carrier with a higher profile and the ability to erode profits of AA, UA and DL. In other words, we did it so they couldn't.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
No surprise as Anderson would love nothing more than a top rival hindered by the mess US has become. This is no secret. Again, this is US's 4th merger attempt with a rival in the past 5 years. Actions speak louder than words.

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
My point is Anderson was at the helm of Northworst when the airline did not do well; so he bailed before they went into BK a few months early. He still can't escape his record at the former Northworst.

Originally Posted by lhl12
Another +1

This is exactly the right way to think about it. American's big mistake was not filing for bankruptcy reorganization at the same time post-9/11 as the other airlines. Had it done so, it would have been able to acquire NW, which would have given it an Asian route structure that would have had significant strategic value. By holding out until two of the three merger partners had already paired off, it is left with the ugly girl at the dance. US has little strategic value for AA, and the benefits of a merger are nearly all in the form of industry rationalization, which flow almost as much to DL and UA as to AA. This is all water under the bridge for AA from a strategic standpoint. It has made its bed, and must now lie in it, irrespective of who runs the combined company and when the merger occurs.

As a bondholder of AA, who will convert into a stockholder post-reorganization, I think I might do better if AA waited until US filed for bankruptcy again, at which point I could cherrypick the pieces I wanted (like the Shuttle, perhaps CLT) and simply allow the remainder to liquidate. I expect this is the aimed-for endpoint of the NewAASA plan, and we will see whether the unsecured creditors in aggregate are going to insist on the bird in the hand (merger with US in the near term) or whether they are willing to give it more time to see whether AA can get a more financially advantageous deal later.
I will argue that no way AA would have been allowed to merge with Northworst back in the mid 2000s. AA was the largest airline at the time. Regulators were not going to approve a transaction that made AA bigger while the other competitors became a distant number 2 and 3 respectively. Furthermore, regulators were more focused on increasing competition back then and new entrants/low fare carriers were the darlings in the eyes of policymakers/regulators. Again, look how many mergers were declined across several industries.

I agree 100% with your second paragraph.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
No surprise as Anderson would love nothing more than a top rival hindered by the mess US has become. This is no secret. Again, this is US's 4th merger attempt with a rival in the past 5 years. Actions speak louder than words.
So what? Glen Tilton was hawking the need for consolidation and mergers before Doug Parker and UA was practically begging for a buyer. The only reason there wasn't a US/UA merger is CO decided it was better to merge with UA than let them merge with US.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
So what? Glen Tilton was hawking the need for consolidation and mergers before Doug Parker and UA was practically begging for a buyer. The only reason there wasn't a US/UA merger is CO decided it was better to merge with UA than let them merge with US.
If I recall correctly, United was the driving force in those merger discussions. United wanted CO all along not US.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:14 am

For those who praise Delta's Anderson as the industry's top manager, I heard an interesting fact on CNBC yesterday. For all the praise in the media and among Wall Street analysts regarding Delta, the stock price has not moved since the carrier exited BK 5 years ago. Yesterday, in midafternoon trading, the stock was up 7%, the largest gain in a while, and had a share price around $10.87. When DL exited BK and merged, the share price was $10.86.

To be fair, I don't think Anderson, or any manager, should be measured only by stock performance. I am so down on the greed of Wall Street and these analysts/traders, etc. who almost brought down our economy. But I did find this stat interesting given some of the discussion here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.