FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Admirals Club passes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1305702-admirals-club-passes.html)

Forklift Steve Jan 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Admirals Club passes

I have seen these for sale online etc. and am wondering where they come from?
Do the EXP, gold members and the like get them for free?
Do you get passes with each mileage level obtained to share with friends or family?
Or are they given out by to whomever by American Airlines employees?
I've done some searching and read many older posts that mention they are no longer accepted, is that still correct?
Considering buying a pair and trying to get the best information I can.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

mathlete Jan 22, 2012 11:03 pm

I got a couple with a new Citi AA credit card.

FWAAA Jan 22, 2012 11:14 pm

I generally assume the worst: that they were liberated by an employee (or former employee). I haven't looked, but I suspect that legitimately-obtained Admirals Club day passes are non-transferrable.

tom911 Jan 22, 2012 11:20 pm

I got a set in the mail when the new SFO Admiral's Club opened up. I recall some other SFO-based flyers also received them. I gave mine to a UA flyer so he could sample the lounge on an upcoming trip.

JimLtravels Jan 23, 2012 11:46 am

I received a pair in the mail. As I am an admirals club member already and have been for over 10 years, I passed them to a friend. The t&cs do not indicate they are not transferable.

ksucats Jan 23, 2012 11:52 am

I got a couple last year from my coke rewards. I decided to buy a membership before I used them. They expire at the end of this year.

FWAAA Jan 23, 2012 12:00 pm

Perhaps free ones that came in the mail are transferable, but the one-day passes that AA sells online have extensive Ts&Cs, including this one:

Day pass is non-refundable, non-changeable, non-transferable, and valid only on date of visit
Buy day passes from someone on eBay at your own risk.

laxconnorw Jan 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 17867887)
I generally assume the worst: that they were liberated by an employee (or former employee). I haven't looked, but I suspect that legitimately-obtained Admirals Club day passes are non-transferrable.

You can 'buy' them for 300 points on Business ExtrAA. They do not have any passenger's name on them and expire after one year.

AC AAngels also get a limited amount each month to give to friends and family. Same T&Cs. Just about none. Except that they expire.

FWAAA Jan 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by laxconnorw (Post 17871777)
You can 'buy' them for 300 points on Business ExtrAA. They do not have any passenger's name on them and expire after one year.

Does AA permit them to be sold on eBay or Craigslist? I doubt it.

AC AAngels also get a limited amount each month to give to friends and family. Same T&Cs. Just about none. Except that they expire.

I'm certain that AA does not permit these to be sold by the employees.

NPF Jan 23, 2012 2:52 pm

They are sold in bulk to some corporations.

Sometimes employees resell theirs, legal or not.

JDiver Jan 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Most EXP and Plats get lounge access on international oneworld flights, including Admirals Clubs (and Flagship Lounges where appropriate). Neither status members nor Admirals Club members generally get passes per se, but AA often offers a pass as a promotion, and as has been stated above, others are also available.

The best way for those without a promo or gift pass to get them is to pay $50 for a one day Club pass - that allows admission to multiple Clubs during one day. You can read more about them, including terms and conditions, here.

Purchasing passes from Craig's List or eBay could be problematic if the passes have restrictions and those are violated.

Originally Posted by Forklift Steve (Post 17867851)
I have seen these for sale online etc. and am wondering where they come from?
Do the EXP, gold members and the like get them for free?
Do you get passes with each mileage level obtained to share with friends or family?
Or are they given out by to whomever by American Airlines employees?
I've done some searching and read many older posts that mention they are no longer accepted, is that still correct?
Considering buying a pair and trying to get the best information I can.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

laxconnorw Jan 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 17871815)
Does AA permit them to be sold on eBay or Craigslist? I doubt it.

I'm certain that AA does not permit these to be sold by the employees.

I never said that the ones AAngels gave out were for sale, nor the ones that one can retrieve from Business ExtrAA.

I am sure that any AC Day Pass you receive, however you receive it, is not for sale via EBay or CraigsList or a Flea Market. There are no Terms & Conditions printed on them. But, common sense would be that they are not for sale.

FYI - AC Day Passes have serial numbers on them, so in essence, if someone was selling them, the Day Passes could be tracked to original source and the person selling them, if violating T&Cs, (presumably, yes), could be in a world of trouble.

Forklift Steve Jan 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Thank you that is a most helpful tip.
What would the value be roughly on 1200 points?
I have two friends that are pretty well burdened with AA points and I know they would probably trade & give me the passes.
However I would want to pay them something reasonable.
Not to be cheap but probably not $200.00 for (4) passes.
If that were the case I could just buy the day pass as suggested by others.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jan 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Forklift Steve (Post 17881468)
I have two friends that are pretty well burdened with AA points and I know they would probably trade & give me the passes.

I've read 10 cents a point thrown around.

gemac Jan 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Forklift Steve (Post 17881468)

There is a difference between AA miles and BusinessExtrAA points.