Standby Policy and Check Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2010, 6:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Standby Policy and Check Baggage

I apologize if I missed the discussion.

I am told that effective Feb 4, 2010 you cannot standby for a different flight if you have checked baggage.

Does anyone have reasons for this policy change?

THANKS
Old Mar 6, 2010, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alhcfp
I apologize if I missed the discussion.

I am told that effective Feb 4, 2010 you cannot standby for a different flight if you have checked baggage.

Does anyone have reasons for this policy change?

THANKS
By whom were you told this?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, Marriott Silver
Because they want you on the same flight as your bags (security). I tried to take an earlier connecting flight in DEN several weeks ago (on UA) and they told me they would need two hours to switch my bags. The GA said I had to fly on the same flight as my bags. I guess it is ok when they put bags on a different flight than you are on if you are not the one that requested the change.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:29 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
I had to leave AC, so I may not have been clear.

New policy states that you must fly with your checked bags. If you check your bag and want to stand-by for earlier flight, or take earlier connecting flight, they will not let you do this. (This was Int'l rule, now it applies to domestic).

In the past, I would take next available DFW-AUS flight and puck up bags later on or next day. This is now a NO-NO.

Only exception is if AA caused you to miss your flight.

I was told this policy change by 3 GA's and confirmed at DFW D AC.

I shoud have clarified this in original post.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Club Gold, HHonors Gold
Good to know..
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM/Lifetime Plat, AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Interesting! I've been told several times (all since 9/11) that I could not be placed on a standby list if I had checked bags. So, I haven't attempted it in the past few years (unless I had only carry-on). Maybe it's been an inconsistent approach and now AA is trying to standardize the process....
Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
This may not be completely kosher, but can the GAs see that you have bags checked?

I thought it was always the case that you could not standby with checked bags, so I don't mention that I have checked bags, and return to the airport later to pick them up. I have done this several times without any problems or a 2nd thought from the GA.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by doctor15
This may not be completely kosher, but can the GAs see that you have bags checked?

I thought it was always the case that you could not standby with checked bags, so I don't mention that I have checked bags, and return to the airport later to pick them up. I have done this several times without any problems or a 2nd thought from the GA.
If you have to return to the airport later to pick up your bags anyhow, what exactly is the benefit of standing by for an earlier flight?

Regards
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alhcfp
I had to leave AC, so I may not have been clear.

New policy states that you must fly with your checked bags. If you check your bag and want to stand-by for earlier flight, or take earlier connecting flight, they will not let you do this. (This was Int'l rule, now it applies to domestic).

In the past, I would take next available DFW-AUS flight and puck up bags later on or next day. This is now a NO-NO.

Only exception is if AA caused you to miss your flight.

I was told this policy change by 3 GA's and confirmed at DFW D AC.

I shoud have clarified this in original post.
Interesting. Couldn't find anything indicating this on AA.com, and Google doesn't turn up any recent TSA rule to this effect, so at this point we don't know how wide-spread this is. If it is system-wide, we should see other reports coming in over the next few weeks.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:19 am

My bag

flew home two hours earlier then I did from Orlando. If I had known I would have gotten on the flight Glad I lock it because it was on the carousel going round and round
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
If you have to return to the airport later to pick up your bags anyhow, what exactly is the benefit of standing by for an earlier flight?
If you live or work close to the airport, the scenarios are infinite. For example, you could have dinner with significant other/family instead of alone at the airport waiting for your late flight, and then pick the bag up before going to bed or the next morning on the way to work.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by doctor15
Yep. The tag numbers are in the PNR.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my experience, bags often fly on earlier flights. When checking bags on itineraries with intentionally long connection times, my bags have arrived before me.

When checking in with a checked bag, and telling the agent I'd like to standby for an earlier flight, the agents have told me that my bags will likely fly the earlier flight whether or not I fly the earlier flight.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hillrider
If you live or work close to the airport, the scenarios are infinite. For example, you could have dinner with significant other/family instead of alone at the airport waiting for your late flight, and then pick the bag up before going to bed or the next morning on the way to work.
Yea, fair enough. I can see how that might work for some folks. For me, I'd prefer to just be done with it, but certainly I could see where this might make sense.

Regards
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
It's nice to get back to my home city and have a decent meal with my SO rather then eating by myself at the ORD food court like normal. After dinner and a few drinks I grab my bags on the way home.

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Yep. The tag numbers are in the PNR.
Interesting.. Does it show on their screen in an obvious place or do they actually have to look carefully to c that? No ga has ever noticed for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.