Wiki Posts
Search

Mile+Copay waitlist and Airport Upgrade waitlist

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Mile+Copay waitlist and Airport Upgrade waitlist

Are they the same thing or different? My international return flight which I requested Mile+Copay upgrade back in April is departing in 2 days and the upgrade has yet been cleared. I read on flyertalk that the priority of int'l mile+copay upgrade is base on check-in time and status so I was planning to go to the airport 24 hours prior departure to check-in and ask to be placed on airport waitlist. However, I called platinum desk, aagent told me there's no need to go to the airport and request for waitlist since I'm already on the waitlist since April. Is that true? Or is the aagent talking about different waitlist other than airport waitlist?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
The airport upgrade waitlist is the PALL list. This list includes people waiting for upgrades, seat assignments, standby, non-rev travel, and other things. See the FlyerGuide wiki entry for the PALL list for more detail on the list and what goes on it. People are not automatically added to the airport upgrade waitlist when requesting a miles+copay redemption, you have to be added manually. Also, the check-in time is what orders you for non-sticker upgrades, but you don't have to be added to the waitlist when you check in--checking in merely sets your check-in time, so when you're added to the list that's how you're ordered. You could wait until you are in the AC to add yourself to the list.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:35 am
Original Poster

You mean I can go to the airport even months before the flight to request to be added to waitlist? or is there a minimum wait time until I can actually request one?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Hi5z
You mean I can go to the airport even months before the flight to request to be added to waitlist? or is there a minimum wait time until I can actually request one?
There's no point to being on the airport upgrade waitlist until the flight goes to the gate.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:53 am
Original Poster

So when does the flight usually go to the gate? 24 hours prior departure?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:58 am

I mean literally when there's a GA working your flight. That's when the airport upgrade waitlist is worked. Do OLCI as soon as possible, then show up to the airport at least an hour early and ask to be placed on the airport upgrade waitlist then. If OLCI fails, you can try calling web services for help, but if that doesn't work I usually schlep out to the airport ASAP and use a kiosk, which usually works for me. Good luck!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

I don't think I can do OLCI in another country, I couldn't even do OLCI when I was in the US 10 days ago...
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Maybe you could advise me the best way to get on priority list of waitlist. My flight will be leaving from PVG to LGA on the 27th at 4:10pm. Should I go to airport at 4:10pm on the 26th and check-in plus request waitlist? But I doubt aagent will work on my flight on the 26th a day before departure
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:28 pm

OLCI works in another country in theory, but it can be erratic in practice. As I stated, if it doesn't work, you can call web services for help and maybe they can help you get checked in, or you can schlep out to the airport and try your hand at a kiosk. And remember, check-in time determines the order you're placed on the PALL list, not the time you're added to the list--you can check in on the 26th and still ask to be added to the list when you arrive at PVG the following day.

In your case, I'd try OLCI, and Skype web services if that doesn't work; if that fails too I'd swing out to the airport as close to the 24 hour mark as possible and check in with a kiosk. Once you have BPs, go enjoy the rest of your day and when you arrive the following day be sure to ask to be placed on the airport upgrade waitlist for a miles+copay redemption. Of course I would also have an EF alert set up for C inventory so I could call ASAP and request the upgrade immediately if C were to show up, which would obviate all of this if that occurs before the 24 hour mark. Hope this helps!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

It seems I may be able to do OLCI, however the website stats OLCI is not available to passengers who require a visa for their travel. That's reason why I couldn't OLCI for my departure flight. Now I wonder if that would not apply to my return flight since I hold a US Passport which does not require visa to enter US.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:20 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hi5z
It seems I may be able to do OLCI, however the website stats OLCI is not available to passengers who require a visa for their travel. That's reason why I couldn't OLCI for my departure flight. Now I wonder if that would not apply to my return flight since I hold a US Passport which does not require visa to enter US.
As mentioned, it will work, in theory. We went to China last year. No OLCI outbound since they needed to check the Visa. OLCI worked on the return.

Cheers.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:15 am
Original Poster

THX! I'll see how it goes. OLCI in 2 hours, hopefully there's such option
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
And a Skype or other VOIP account is very helpful in the case you need to call in to USA Webservices or other AA help. I've used my company's VOIP/Messenger to call AA in the US a day before my international departure in order to resolve certain issues. Nice & free that way!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:52 am
Original Poster

I have international landline plan but web service closes 2am CDT but my flight leaves 5:10am CDT(or 4:10pm CST) so even if I couldn't do OLCI the web serivice will be closed by then.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Interesting to hear that web services can check you in even when OLCI or kiosk doesn't work. I will have to try calling them next time before I fly international as neither OLCI nor airport kiosk works for me, even to places that do not require a Visa.

Fortunately I have not had to go on an airport upgrade list as an EXP (meaning eVIPs cleared at least T-24) on any of my international flights,
I think this is an important point for PLT/GLDs who want to use miles+copay to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.