Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Upgrading intl on partners Hawaiian, Air Pacific, etc. with AA instruments

Old Oct 23, 2011, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles

Hi, I know with QF it's not possible to upgrade using stickies from economy to business from Australia to the US, but is it possible with the other airlines? I'm wondering if I get a flight from Aus to Hawaii or LAX if that's possible. I'd have to then get a flight East but that's not as big a concern. Flights out of Aus have become so much more lately. I can't stay economy either.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
No, you can only use AA miles to upgrade AA metal, or BA from full Y. No reciprocal upgrades otherwise within OW (interestingly, CX Asiamiles can upgrade AA flights from Y/B/H, but CX doesn't return the favor).
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brenc3
No, you can only use AA miles to upgrade AA metal, or BA from full Y. No reciprocal upgrades otherwise within OW (interestingly, CX Asiamiles can upgrade AA flights from Y/B/H, but CX doesn't return the favor).
Thanks... I had a feeling....
The good thing is that I didn't realize I had more choices. After my last QF nightmare, I'm looking for alternatives...
Thanks again!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 5:23 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by brenc3
Almost right. Here's the info from AA: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...&title=upgrade
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Almost right. Here's the info from AA: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...&title=upgrade
Thanks, Iberia doesn't come to Aus... oh well!
Thanks for the link!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 6:04 am

Programs: AA MM Gold Hilton HHonors
Air Pacific will allow upgrades for a fee at checkin time, if available, on award tickets from AA. If interested, you could call Air Pacific for details.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pgmrldy
Air Pacific will allow upgrades for a fee at checkin time, if available, on award tickets from AA. If interested, you could call Air Pacific for details.
awesome news! So I get a regular award ticket with them and then at check in (if available) get upgraded (with miles) to a higher class?
Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by veganmacrochick
awesome news! So I get a regular award ticket with them and then at check in (if available) get upgraded (with miles) to a higher class?
Thanks
No, for cash. As previously stated AA miles can only be used to upgrade AA operated flights with the exception of full-fare flights on BA and IB.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
No, for cash. As previously stated AA miles can only be used to upgrade AA operated flights with the exception of full-fare flights on BA and IB.
ah... ok, so get a ticket with miles then upgrade with cash?
nah... I'd rather just use miles all the way....
Thanks for the info!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Thanks for the info!
This is all based on availability. If there is space available in J Air Pacific frequently offers cash buy ups at check in, similar to the LFBU sometimes offered on AA. There may or may not be award space available on your preferred route for a pure mileage booking as well, even if J has revenue availability the day of flight and buy ups are offered.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the info!
As BrewerSEA notes, you may not always have that option. It is entirely possible that J award seats won't be available and someone would have to settle for Y. But, on departure day, for any number of reasons, they may offer buy-ups to J that would work even for those on an award ticket.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikelat
As BrewerSEA notes, you may not always have that option. It is entirely possible that J award seats won't be available and someone would have to settle for Y. But, on departure day, for any number of reasons, they may offer buy-ups to J that would work even for those on an award ticket.
It is a point. Just saying I have more miles than cash to play with. I have no idea what an upgrade from the US to Aus could possibly cost in $
not to mention, it's also then a risk of getting stuck in economy. But, better than not going sometimes I suppose....
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
In my experience,it is as BrewerSEA says. FJ offers counter upgrades on their longhaul (LAX-NAN or return) flights to Tabua Class for US $750. Too bad - they used to offer them USD 750 LAX-NAN, and the return in FJD (the FJD is about $1.75 to one USD.)

NAN-SYD (or - BNE or -MEL) would be additional dollars, but I don't recall what they ask.

Of course, this depends on availability, but it's never failed for me, even on AA codeshares.

Originally Posted by pgmrldy
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
In my experience,it is as BrewerSEA says. FJ offers counter upgrades on their longhaul (LAX-NAN or return) flights to Tabua Class for US $750. Too bad - they used to offer them USD 750 LAX-NAN, and the return in FJD (the FJD is about $1.75 to one USD.)

NAN-SYD (or - BNE or -MEL) would be additional dollars, but I don't recall what they ask.

Of course, this depends on availability, but it's never failed for me, even on AA codeshares.
Thanks JDiver, $750 to go to business class would be worth it!
I do suppose last minute there should be availability....
Anyway, not sure when I'm going anywhere but would be nice to go in Dec/Jan
I'll ask more questions shortly

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.