More SFO / San Francisco cuts: AA closes pilot base

Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plat., PG Ambassador Plat.,
Originally Posted by igopogo
I'm in SFO and I'm wondering why I would want it to be a hub? Wouldn't that mean I'd pay hub fares for every flight? Also, as a mileage runner, I consider longer itineraries to be a bonus.
I, too, agree on that. When it comes to MR, there is nothing better than an additional leg (e.g., SFO-LAX-JFK) without paying higher fare...(well, not include the tax and fees).
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:36 pm

Programs: AAEXP 2MM, UA 0.9MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by raucous
And by the way, for you SFO-haters out there, I second someone's comment earlier that it's tiring to hear the negativity from you all. This thread was clearly titled SFO, so if you don't want to listen in our conversation about painful changes to the airline we love and rely on, just don't click on the thread please. Recognize we are largely still trying to stay with AA and that in its own small way helps makes the airline better and viable for all of us, even those who don't live in the Bay Area.
Agreed. I am interested in AA's ongoing cutbacks (not only at SFO), even though I don't live there. SFO is a significant destination for business and leisure travel, and certain predictable negative commentary is indeed tiresome.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
When I look at a lot of award travel that requires me to do silly things like SFO->DFW->ORD->NRT, I'd definitely rather SFO be a hub. Granted, there are better routes if I book further out, but having direct flights if booked within 3-4 months, that would be wonderful.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by planetcub
I, too, agree on that. When it comes to MR, there is nothing better than an additional leg (e.g., SFO-LAX-JFK) without paying higher fare...(well, not include the tax and fees).
A hub does not mean expensive fares, it's competition. LAX for example is an AA hub, but there is a lot of competition so the fares are cheap. Fares are expensive only if one carrier has a monopoly on the route.

I'm fine with AA's SFO service. Also, SJC has early and late night flights for connections so sometimes I make my way down there. I've also flown SFO-LAX-SAN many times. AA does try to compete on this route because often they match the fares of its competitors. The only hole is SFO-SNA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.