Cancelling Flight booked with Miles

Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Cancelling Flight booked with Miles

I need to cancel a flight I booked with miles. STL-DFW-PHX R/T. Will those miles re-post to my account? Is there a penalty? Is it done online or do I need to speak to a human? Will Gold Status affect the outcome?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
You may change your flight at no cost to another date assuming inventory is still available, as long as it is within a year.

If you are on a sAAver award, there is a $150 fee to redeposit the miles.

If on AAnytime, there is no fee.

As stated here:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...servations.jsp
Under "Changing Flight Award Tickets" and "Reinstating Award Tickets"

Your best option will be to keep the flight until the final day before cancelling. If AA changes the flight times or if there is a significant delay or cancellation, you have grounds to ask for your miles back without a redeposit fee.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by Xero
You may change your flight at no cost to another date assuming inventory is still available, as long as it is within a year.

If you are on a sAAver award, there is a $150 fee to redeposit the miles.

If on AAnytime, there is no fee.

As stated here:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...servations.jsp
Under "Changing Flight Award Tickets" and "Reinstating Award Tickets"

Your best option will be to keep the flight until the final day before cancelling. If AA changes the flight times or if there is a significant delay or cancellation, you have grounds to ask for your miles back without a redeposit fee.
I believe there is still a $150 re-deposit fee regardless if the award is MileSAAver or AAnytime*. AAnytime awards simply are more flexible (i.e., you can change origin and destination, change times and dates, etc.)

*Waived for EXP members
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
just 1 pax?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by miamigrad
I believe there is still a $150 re-deposit fee regardless if the award is MileSAAver or AAnytime*. AAnytime awards simply are more flexible (i.e., you can change origin and destination, change times and dates, etc.)

*Waived for EXP members
You are right. AAnytime is treated as full fare for many things, like Priority AAccess and 2 free bags. So I thought you could redeposit for no fee.

I called AA up. For AAnytime, you can change the award all you want, including origin an destination for no charge, however.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, US Airways, SWA
I suggest that you look at your email confirmation and determine the date that you booked the flight. Save that email, it contains the date of the booking, the Record Locator and the Ticket Number. You have 1 year from date of booking to complete that itinerary. An itinerary is a start and end point on the outbound leg, and another start and end point on the return leg. All intermediate cities can be changed. The actual airlines flown must stay the same I believe. The Record Locator along with flight date are a quick way for an agent to look up your reservation. However, after you cancel your flight, the Record Locator will eventually become unusable for agents looking up your reservation. So save the ticket number -- your original itinerary can always be looked up by the ticket number. A good agent can also find it from your Aadvantage account but that takes longer. Call Award reservations or regular reservations and cancel your flight. If you do not intend to use that flight, pay $150 to redeposit your miles using an AA affiliated credit card. If you do intend to take that itinerary, rebook it using an agent. You can do it online and put it on hold, then call Aadvantage reservations and have them match the held flights to your old Record Locator.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
As EXP, is the $150 fee waiver to cancel an award, issued just for the EXP member traveling, or can it be passed along for an award for any other passenger as long as the miles were issued from the EXP's account? (i.e., issuing an award from my account for my wife who has no status)

How about for an award issued for a travelling EXP from a Non-EXP account (i.e., issuing an award for me EXP from my wife's account who has no status).
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
As EXP, is the $150 fee waiver to cancel an award, issued just for the EXP member traveling, or can it be passed along for an award for any other passenger as long as the miles were issued from the EXP's account? (i.e., issuing an award from my account for my wife who has no status)

How about for an award issued for a travelling EXP from a Non-EXP account (i.e., issuing an award for me EXP from my wife's account who has no status).
As long as the miles are coming out of the EXP's account, there is no fee to reinstate the miles.

This waiver only applies if the miles come from the account of the EXP, so reinstating your wife's miles, even if they are for you, an EXP, the fee still applies.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Milesaver Awards can also be changed without charge. (Assuming departure and destination remain the same.)
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:05 pm

sorry about hijacking your thread but i have the same situation with star alliance have a business award to asia in october but i may have to cancel that, what is the redeposit rule for them? is it the same as one world?
Thanks for any info and once again a apologise for being bit out of context.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
You need to ask your question in the appropriate airline's Forum - we have no clue here, particularly as you do not mention which airline's miles you are using for your award. (It's not even the same for all oneworld airlines, never mind Star.)

Again, go to the issuing airline's forum and inquire there.

/Moderator

Originally Posted by saatx
sorry about hijacking your thread but i have the same situation with star alliance have a business award to asia in october but i may have to cancel that, what is the redeposit rule for them? is it the same as one world?
Thanks for any info and once again a apologise for being bit out of context.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.