Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by JumboD
The Amex is also a great card for families who don't all have the same primary air carrier. My brother and I (along with two others) got the Amex Plat for this reason. I flew AA, he flew DL and the others (until the merger) flew NW. So for a total of $675 we each got access to the lounge of our choice airline.

This new card would be alright if the annual fee was halved or if the EQM came earlier in the spending. As someone who usually approaches 40k BIS miles each year, the 10k would be nice, but I don't know I'd pay that kind of money for it.

I feel as though there should be a discount for elite members, not just out of self interest (since I am one) but because most of the benefits are already included for those members. All we're getting is the lounge access (already have that via Amex), the concierge service and the extra EQM. But I already wait in the short lines, get free checked bags, board at the beginning and have no mileage cap on my other Citi cards. This card basically gives you GLD minus the upgrades and second free checked bag.

However, if people report back here that the concierge service is head and shoulders above Amex then maybe it would be worth it. Hopefully Amex decides to up their game by allowing the transfer of MR points to AAdvantage miles.
Ditto. This card basically is non-flight GOLD elite status + Admirals Club membership. As a LT Gold, it is not worth it to me and wouldn't be unless I were right at 40k EQM per year, which I'm not.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:18 am

The Amex is also a great card for families who don't all have the same primary air carrier. My brother and I (along with two others) got the Amex Plat for this reason. I flew AA, he flew DL and the others (until the merger) flew NW. So for a total of $675 we each got access to the lounge of our choice airline.

This new card would be alright if the annual fee was halved or if the EQM came earlier in the spending. As someone who usually approaches 40k BIS miles each year, the 10k would be nice, but I don't know I'd pay that kind of money for it.

I feel as though there should be a discount for elite members, not just out of self interest (since I am one) but because most of the benefits are already included for those members. All we're getting is the lounge access (already have that via Amex), the concierge service and the extra EQM. But I already wait in the short lines, get free checked bags, board at the beginning and have no mileage cap on my other Citi cards. This card basically gives you GLD minus the upgrades and second free checked bag.

However, if people report back here that the concierge service is head and shoulders above Amex then maybe it would be worth it. Hopefully Amex decides to up their game by allowing the transfer of MR points to AAdvantage miles.
Is there any reason to believe this concierge service is any different than the service that already comes with the Citi branded cards?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
"With the Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® credit card, you and up to eight additional people in your reservation can each save up to $50 on round-trip travel (baggage charge amount is subject to change)."

How can you have that many people on an AA reservation .
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Link on the AA website: https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/citiexecutive.jsp

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
This should be more grist for the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...r-program.html thread
I fail to see the connection given that the perk is EQMs, not MM miles.
Obviously you haven't been following that thread, if you think that a 'connection' is required.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:39 am

I would wonder about the concierge too. I would think, at least on the surface, that based on length of time doing this and relationships forged, Amex should have a legs up on restaurant reservations, etc. There have been a few times where I couldn't get myself into a restaurant that Amex squeezed me into, particularly hot spots in big cities. Or helped make special requests at hotels, particularly those within FHR. Though its status has declined, I think Amex Plat calling anyone may still get more respect than Citi. In terms of responsiveness, personal attention and so on, that would be easier to match.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
If they're going to top it with $450 in annual fees, the least they could do is add an EMV chip to it. Why should I pay more when I can get a card that's more secure for a lower annual fee?
Don't get hysterical, its going have your precious chip
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
Don't get hysterical, its going have your precious chip
My bad, I didn't see page 3. ^

But it'd be nice if the EMV functionality was promoted more visibly to stand out from other cards; hard to tell if the benefit isn't shown, especially when the main target for this card seems to be for Citi's and AA's globe-trotting clientele.

Adding an option for built-in PayPass would be nice to rival US Bank FlexPerks card.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jul 18, 2011 at 10:53 am
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by tondoleo
Thus, the additional cardholder when traveling by their lonesome cannot access the AC. Unless they use their trusty Amex Plat.
True, which is why I like Amex better as it stands. However, keep in mind that with Amex you pay for additional cardholders, whereas with this you don't appear to. That said, three additional cardholders are only $175, so it's less than $60/yr for each to have their own AA/DL club access.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by faloppi
I would wonder about the concierge too. I would think, at least on the surface, that based on length of time doing this and relationships forged, Amex should have a legs up on restaurant reservations, etc. There have been a few times where I couldn't get myself into a restaurant that Amex squeezed me into, particularly hot spots in big cities. Or helped make special requests at hotels, particularly those within FHR. Though its status has declined, I think Amex Plat calling anyone may still get more respect than Citi. In terms of responsiveness, personal attention and so on, that would be easier to match.
The other one Amex Plat almost certainly has Citi beat on is consumer protection: nobody is better when it comes to disputes or extended warranties.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Ross0
Is there any reason to believe this concierge service is any different than the service that already comes with the Citi branded cards?
I've never had a Citi branded card that comes with this, my only cards currently are Amex Plat, a few Citi AA cards and the SPG Amex. Therefore I really don't know. I sort of assumed that, unlike Amex, Citi would outsource this to one of the big concierge service providers which could be a good thing (if they do it really well) and could be a bad thing (a lot more members to look after).

Either way, that really isn't why I keep Amex; it's the AC access (already discussed why Amex is better for me on that front) and the consumer protection (if I have to buy something where I see some risk).

Were the AC to drop Amex now (as CO did), then I'd probably switch.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:34 am

True, which is why I like Amex better as it stands. However, keep in mind that with Amex you pay for additional cardholders, whereas with this you don't appear to. That said, three additional cardholders are only $175, so it's less than $60/yr for each to have their own AA/DL club access.
The additional cardholders also get Priority Pass.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by tondoleo
The additional cardholders also get Priority Pass.
Right, forgot about that! That reminds me, have to look into actually activating that...

I think that, in general, the ONLY reason to get this card is if you are consistently 10k away from the next elite tier up. Non-elites probably travel infrequently enough that the benefits don't justify the costs and there aren't enough benefits that elites aren't already entitled to to justify the cost.

Now, if it were like DL, where you had multiple opportunities to get bonus EQM and could get 10k immediately and another 30k by spending 60k (would have to combine work and personal purchases on one card), then it's a better looking deal.

I don't advocate AA offering that generous a bonus, so as not to overfill the elite ranks too much. Then again I don't really care about a bunch of PLTs who fly 15k/yr, as they won't provide much competition for anything and won't even understand the benefits. I would advocate that no more than, say, 10k of the bonus EQM may count towards EXP (since you're talking about a lot of SWUs floating around, which impact upgrade award availability for everyone).

Last edited by JumboD; Jul 18, 2011 at 11:49 am
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I'd bet this card will eventually have some pretty hefty signup bonuses (ala Chase's 100K limited time offer [now expired] for the BA card) down the road given the high annual charge and the low signup bonus now re: past Citi offers.

Also AC "access" is very different from AC membership and believe me, the AAngels I've spoken with know the difference...they value the AC members much more than the Amex Platinums...at least the AAngels I've asked about this. I doubt they are going to do proactive rebooking / trip disruption IRROPS work for someone using this card vs full-fledged members.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by goldengate
Also AC "access" is very different from AC membership and believe me, the AAngels I've spoken with know the difference...they value the AC members much more than the Amex Platinums...at least the AAngels I've asked about this. I doubt they are going to do proactive rebooking / trip disruption IRROPS work for someone using this card vs full-fledged members.
Unless of course, AAgents are trained to learn that unlike AMEX Platinum, this is a co-branded card with AA and Citibank so in a way, the "AC renewal fee is automatically built-in to that card."
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
I don't advocate AA offering that generous a bonus, so as not to overfill the elite ranks too much. Then again I don't really care about a bunch of PLTs who fly 15k/yr, as they won't provide much competition for anything and won't even understand the benefits. I would advocate that no more than, say, 10k of the bonus EQM may count towards EXP (since you're talking about a lot of SWUs floating around, which impact upgrade award availability for everyone).
I don't know of anyone who is a PLT that only flies 15K/yr. Maybe you are referring to GLDs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.