Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

Besides, why pay 3% forex fee when you can have cards that charges 0%? Unless you are willing to be the sucker to pay the fee just to add a few more miles to your AA account. i.e. for every 100 miles earned via foreign transactions, you are paying $3 for that privilege - that is 3 penny per mile cost! Meanwhile you can use a host of Chase cards to earn UA or BA miles (or hotel points) with 0% forex fee. And if your main spending outside US is hotel and dining, you would earn TWO miles instead of one, with the Chase cards...

I wonder when Citi would wake up and start to improve the AAdvantage cards earning in category spend, as well as offering a 0% forex card.
Thinking outside one's box might help here. For instance, my company reimburses for all forex charges related to "business eligible" purchases abroad. Therefore, I have no forex fee - and enjoy the mileage from foreign spending without limit.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ritz
Thinking outside one's box might help here. For instance, my company reimburses for all forex charges related to "business eligible" purchases abroad. Therefore, I have no forex fee - and enjoy the mileage from foreign spending without limit.
It is good this works for you because your forex fee is reimbursed. However I can bet you $1 for doughnut that is not the majority of people here.

Because of the forex fee, the CHIP and PIN discussion on this card is kind of silly to me especially when this is not even the real CHIP that requires a PIN, but a convenient payment RFID chip... That is my point.

Also talk about thinking out of box, dont wed oneself to one single program and put all one's earning into one single program. It is better to have meaningful balances across alliances, even the Skypesos sometimes can prove to be useful!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2.9MM, Amex Plat, CO Silv, HH Gld, SPG Gld, Hyatt Plat, IC Amb, and... Starbucks Gold (wow!)
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Yes, the card with the Chip + Signature exists.. I have one in my wallet right now.
This was very helpful -- thanks. I called Citi, spoke with a different CSR and am waiting for a new card, which will hopefully feature the GCC chip. Thanks again.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Happy
It is good this works for you because your forex fee is reimbursed. However I can bet you $1 for doughnut that is not the majority of people here.

Because of the forex fee, the CHIP and PIN discussion on this card is kind of silly to me especially when this is not even the real CHIP that requires a PIN, but a convenient payment RFID chip... That is my point.
1) There are no forex fees with the "Executive" card, which is the one this thread is talking about. 0% forex fees are a very significant part of why I got this card, and one reason I might keep it if the the miles counting for lifetime status comes in December as planned
2) It's not RFID; it's a older-style smartcard with contacts.

Originally Posted by kebosabi
I don't plan to spend more than $12,166.67 outside of the US, so I'm better off sticking with the vanilla Citicard.
Assuming the other benefits (mainly lifetime miles through December, and AC membership) aren't worth whatever the difference is; for me, I just need to save $15 in forex fees (difference between $350 AC membership renewal and $85) to be worth it by your math; I paid about $110 in forex fees last year, all unreimbursed.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA PLT
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Of course there's a chance. I suggested to the AAdvantage program that going forward they and Citi are going to need to do a better job of targetting benefits to the typical customer for this type of card, who is an AA frequent flyer who doesn't need most of the benefits other than perhaps the added eqms -and while they may need lounge access usually can get it cheaper because of their status than what it costs with this card. Some of the ideas I passed on include:
* Linking the amount of credit card related eqms that could be earned to the amount of miles flown on AA in any given qualifying year.
* Extending the luggage and priority boarding benefits to tickets purchased for others by the cardholder.
* Allowing AA Elites the same reduced fees for purchasing AC access for spouse or s.o. that they would otherwise get.
I'd like to tag Million Miler Eligible miles onto that list. For a $450 annual fee, what's the harm in extending those benefits?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Got my 10K EQM bonus for 2012 today! A very pleasant surprise!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: AA-EXP Hilton Honors-PLT Admirals Club
Chase UA

I see chase has a new product that offers a lot of the same benefits but also includes 1.5 miles for every dollars spent on everyday purchases. I wonder if citi will eventually match
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by valuepac
I see chase has a new product that offers a lot of the same benefits but also includes 1.5 miles for every dollars spent on everyday purchases. I wonder if citi will eventually match
Pretty different animal, no? That's UA, for starters.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by valuepac
The only card that UA offers that's similar to the AA Exec MC is the Presidential Plus card. You do not get 1.5 miles per dollar spent on everyday purchases on that one.

Originally Posted by josephstern
Pretty different animal, no? That's UA, for starters.
Indeed.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
The only card that UA offers that's similar to the AA Exec MC is the Presidential Plus card. You do not get 1.5 miles per dollar spent on everyday purchases on that one.
The PP card is gone now, the United Club card has taken its place (1.5 miles/$ on everyday purchases). The AF is lower (450 vs 395), you get elite status with Hyatt and Avis, along with some other benefits. Obviously if you can choose between UAL or AA, the new club card would be the better deal.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I have both cards

Originally Posted by longhorn11
The PP card is gone now, the United Club card has taken its place (1.5 miles/$ on everyday purchases). The AF is lower (450 vs 395), you get elite status with Hyatt and Avis, along with some other benefits. Obviously if you can choose between UAL or AA, the new club card would be the better deal.
The AA was a convertion from my citi aadavantage card. the UA was a letter I received with free first year. UA is my secondary airline, and I want to try their product. OVerall, both are about equal, except UA is cheaper and comes with Elite status on Hyatt and Avis, AA only has the lifetime miles and cost. I will have a decision to make regarding my AA card if there is no other added value to it and they decide to eliminate the lifetime miles perk, as it is cheaper to keep the regular citi aadvantage card and a separate AC membership vs keeping the card for another year. I will keep the UA card, no problem there.

Last edited by arollins; Mar 29, 2012 at 5:45 am Reason: .
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by longhorn11
The Presidential Plus is still there, just changed name to United MileagePlus Presidential Plus, still a MC. And there is a new card call United MileagePlus Club Card, a Visa, that has a 1.5miles/$. The PP card is not taking new application now.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: 2MM by 2013 AA
I'am loving the card, not only no forex fee, but the MM ......

Already really close to 2MM that is lifetime PLAT, and in top of that thanks to the 10k bonus EQM I'm EXP for the first time, been able to call and have someone answer the phone right away its priceless, booking RTW tickets with EXP agents, its much better, I used to call before and most of the times they did not had any idea what I was talking about, (had to go get a supervisor)

also the conversion from foreign currency to USD its much better, I have used it in many places, and always get a better exchange rate, example (china, HK, Spain, France, UK, Peru)

also the customer service its a little bit better, I still call the same 1800 number, but somehow they are aware its a black card, and they try to be nicer and friendlier.

those are my 2 cents.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcaem

also the conversion from foreign currency to USD its much better, I have used it in many places, and always get a better exchange rate, example (china, HK, Spain, France, UK, Peru)
Would you have any specific numbers on this. Seems like a nice "perk."
Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: 2MM by 2013 AA
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Would you have any specific numbers on this. Seems like a nice "perk."
its only a couple of pennies, but it does make a difference, especially if you are in europe, where there is always a fee to exchange USD to Euros, and it changes every day, and at the end of your trip you are not left over with money that you have no use for....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.