Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Old May 21, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Yeah, but you can only really pull this off if there are few in front of you who are slow. At LAX, I often find the whole line is like that, and it's hard for me to summon up the courage to bypass 7 people. One or two, maybe, but 7?

Of course, then while I'm waiting, some other bolder Precheck frequent traveler decides he's faster so he skips past 8 (number 8 being me).
My thinking is if the machines are idle and there is a gap, just fill the gap and go. You're not slowing anyone else up and you are increasing the efficiency of the queue by reducing the mean time in queue (Little's Law - something I wish TSA would learn about) by both filling in an idle cycle and also quickly transiting the line (quick in and quick off). If someone objects between you and the checkpoint, politely tell them that they don't have to do all the things they are doing. Frankly, they are usually so pre-occupied with all of that they don't even notice.

I agree that leap-frogging 7 take more chutzpah than 1 or 2 if only the likelihood of getting called out for it is higher.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by JMN57
They are randomly moving people into the Pre line even if they don't have PreCheck.

Of course, this leads to people who have no idea how the program works, taking off their shoes, taking out 3-1-1, computer, taking off jacket and generally slowing down the process. If you are sharp and there is someone dawdling getting ready, pass them, drop your things on the conveyor and walk through the detector. Just make sure you have your S**t together.
Originally Posted by JMN57
My thinking is if the machines are idle and there is a gap, just fill the gap and go. You're not slowing anyone else up and you are increasing the efficiency of the queue by reducing the mean time in queue (Little's Law - something I wish TSA would learn about) by both filling in an idle cycle and also quickly transiting the line (quick in and quick off). If someone objects between you and the checkpoint, politely tell them that they don't have to do all the things they are doing. Frankly, they are usually so pre-occupied with all of that they don't even notice.

I agree that leap-frogging 7 take more chutzpah than 1 or 2 if only the likelihood of getting called out for it is higher.
Once they are in "the Pre line" they do "have PreCheck." Whatever programs you are signed up for in advance, don't ensure that you will "have PreCheck," just as doing and having nothing in advance doesn't mean you won't "have" it.

What you're describing is simply, cutting the line. Not really a big deal, but that's what it is. Even if you're actually "not slowing anyone else up" (which seems unlikely).

Shouldn't we help educate the poor folks, instead? Or, rather, re-re-educate them? For the greater good. "Please leave your shoes on in this lane."
Old May 21, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Max M
Bingo.

Plus even if your boarding pass has Pre-Check printed on it, there's no guarantee that you get it. I've had my boarding pass with Pre-Check printed on it, but have experienced random denials a couple of times after my boarding pass was scanned at the Pre-Check lane.

Pre-Check is very much alive and well--- I used it last week at TUL.
In these situations, where the Pre check logo is on the boarding pass but you got denied, did you happen to scan the BP? If so, was the "3" present? I'm trying to determine if the "3" is still a good indicator if one will get pre check or not.
Old May 22, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GaryD

Shouldn't we help educate the poor folks, instead? Or, rather, re-re-educate them? For the greater good. "Please leave your shoes on in this lane."
My experience is that if you're not wearing the blue uniform, the uneducated will frequently not accept your attempt at education.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is anyone having an issue with Concur and pre-check? Lately flights booked via concur are not automatically printing pre-check on bp. Husband is pre-check via AA and via GE. GE number is in both AA and Concur systems. Last week after mobile checkin the BP did not say pre-check, I called AA, they said the his birthdate was coming across from Concur as xx not 19xx. They fixed all the records and said he should be fine now for all those trips, I double checked birthdate in Concur and it was ok. He deleted the BP for the flight and reloaded it and it was pre-Check.

Today, checked in for flight tomorrow. No pre-check. Called AA and they said there's absolutely nothing they can do after the passenger checks in. I explained that last Sunday, the agent was able to do something that flipped him from not pre-check to pre-check, the agent today said that is not possible.
Old May 25, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Today, checked in for flight tomorrow. No pre-check. Called AA and they said there's absolutely nothing they can do after the passenger checks in. I explained that last Sunday, the agent was able to do something that flipped him from not pre-check to pre-check, the agent today said that is not possible.
I've had it "fixed" at the ticket counter upon arrival to the airport on an occasion or two. Have your husband try that.
Old May 25, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

going to, but frustrated that AA says all future reservations (7 I believe) are fixed, but based on today's experience I don't believe them.
Old May 26, 2014, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talked to a different phone agent today who said his KTN was in his profile, but not on today's ticket, she entered it, resubmitted and now the BP is marked pre-check. But she said, that because he opted in to the program at AA his KTN should not have to be on the ticket and she is puzzled as to why all reservations made thru Concur are not clearing. She opened a ticket with Customer Service and said when they are in tomorrow they will review all his future reservations and what is coming over form Concur and try to figure out why he's having this issue.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Talked to a different phone agent today who said his KTN was in his profile, but not on today's ticket, she entered it, resubmitted and now the BP is marked pre-check. But she said, that because he opted in to the program at AA his KTN should not have to be on the ticket and she is puzzled as to why all reservations made thru Concur are not clearing. She opened a ticket with Customer Service and said when they are in tomorrow they will review all his future reservations and what is coming over form Concur and try to figure out why he's having this issue.
Could it be the way Concur is passing through the name? I've never had an issue with Concur, but my sample size is only 2. However, another travel agent that I used a few months ago to book air travel on my behalf had the ticket in their system issued as FIRSTMIDDLE LAST rather than FIRST MIDDLE LAST. The first name field did have a space between my first and middle name, but both names were within the first name field and not matching the GE data. I was able to call AA reservations and make sure the Secure Flight fields were congruent with the Global Entry data on GOES.

Before checking in, I would always consult the reservation on the AA website and make sure that the Secure Flight information matches everything with GE. That's what will govern whether or not you get Precheck. There's no way to check this from the mobile app, so once you're check-in without precheck, you'd have to call Web Services (800-222-2377) to have them reverse the check-in process, rectify the issue, and try again. If any fields are inconsistent, call AA Reservations to have them correct the Secure Flight fields.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by ckendall
My occasional adult travelling partner (no GE or anything else) seems to get Pre-check regularly when she travels with me (GE).
I traveled PHL-MIA and back recently with my wife. We split up in PHL since she was not pre-check, but they moved her to a precheck line anyway (there were two) so we got through security at about the same time.

When I checked in online for our return, both of our boarding passes said TSA PRECHECK right on them...was a bit surprised (but pleased) that she got it for the return also.
Old May 27, 2014, 6:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I flew with the wife on Delta out of MCO Orlando over the weekend. We had been regularly getting pre-check as seniors + on the last 6 months of flights on numerous airlines. This time even though we were first class no such luck. I tried the TSA pre-line on the chance that as seniors they might let us through - no go. WE then tried the Sky Priority line and it actually merged with the TSA Pre line !!! so no hassels with taking laptops out of the bag.

As luck would have it I rarely check my small roll-on but this time I did and sure enough when I got home it had a note in it saying it was searched and all my medicines were nicely jumbled up. Maybe next time I'll try packing an oxycodone prescription and see if any pills go missing
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
The pre-check line at LAX T4 led to a closed/locked door (Sunday June 1 around 6pm). They let you use the WTMD if you could present a pre-check boarding card, otherwise you're sent to the scanner. A porter said something about a bunch of TSA staff getting fired. They were also referring people from the priority lines to the regular lines since the priority lines were running slower.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
What has happened to the Know Traveler Number box on the AA website.

I went to put in the KTN in my wife's profile and I can't find the box in her profile. I also checked her upcoming reservation and there is no area to enter the KTN either.

Will call the EXP desk to see what is up.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still see it- both on reservations and in profile.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I still see it- both on reservations and in profile.
Moi aussi - me too

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.