Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to lock in AA Gold?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Time to lock in AA Gold?

I have a 2 1/2 week trip planned to Europe in 3 weeks with my family of 4. Traveling on AA via award tickets in coach (DFW-NWK/JFK-CDG)(MXP-JFK/NWK-DFW).

I am so close to AA lifetime Gold that I can taste it:

761,000 AA miles
180,000 Starpoint, will convert to 225,000 AA miles
14,000 short of 1 million

I could share the 19,000 from my wife for $140.

Should I try to do this before the trip? Starwood says it takes up to 2 weeks for the transfer.
Or should I continue to be patient to see if AA offers another Starwood transfer bonus?
Old May 20, 2011, 5:52 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by newhousejim
I have a 2 1/2 week trip planned to Europe in 3 weeks with my family of 4. Traveling on AA via award tickets in coach (DFW-NWK/JFK-CDG)(MXP-JFK/NWK-DFW).

I am so close to AA lifetime Gold that I can taste it:

761,000 AA miles
180,000 Starpoint, will convert to 225,000 AA miles
14,000 short of 1 million

I could share the 19,000 from my wife for $140.

Should I try to do this before the trip? Starwood says it takes up to 2 weeks for the transfer.
Or should I continue to be patient to see if AA offers another Starwood transfer bonus?
180k in Starpoints is a lot of points. I suppose it depends on how loyal you are to AA/OW. With the upcoming changes to the MM programme, you may want to do all of this, but MM status is "for the life of the AAdvantage program." That means that if AA were to revoke the programme at a later date, then you would lose this status. YMMV.

For me, I am about 15k short of 1MM. I can xfer Starpoints at HH points and make a dent on the road to 2MM, but I prefer to keep them where they are at unless there is a ridiculous xfer bonus like the one SPG had last spring.

Anyway, good luck.
Old May 20, 2011, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
AA has indicated that any changes to the MM program will come with notice, so I wouldn't rush into this unless you want GLD benefits for this specific trip. You'd get J/F check-in, earlier boarding, and access to preferred Y seats (but no exit row if your family includes kids under 15).

If you wait, the closer you get and the more you accumulate naturally, means the fewer SPG points you'd need to convert or the fewer miles you'd have to pay to transfer from the family accounts.

(By the way, the code for Newark Airport is EWR; NWK is the Newark Penn train station.)
Old May 20, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA platinum, SPG Gold
xfer bonus ?

Forgive my ignorance- what special transfer bonus did SPG have for AA miles last year? How did I miss that? How did you find out?
Old May 20, 2011, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
180,000 SPG is a lot to burn just to make Gold. How often do you fly AA?

Regarding it taking 2 weeks to transfer I've never had an SPG transfer take even half that long. But I guess they just say that so people don't bother them after a few days. Anyway, at the very least I'd wait to see what AA announces regarding changes to the program. If you still feel LT Gold is the way to go you'll have sufficient time to get the miles posted.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by whenzuc
Forgive my ignorance- what special transfer bonus did SPG have for AA miles last year? How did I miss that? How did you find out?
It was essentially a 35% bonus. If you are signed up to receive emails from AA you would likely have gotten it...or you could have discussed it here in the thread I linked to.
Old May 21, 2011, 9:46 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by whenzuc
Ditto what broadwayblue said. I guess you just need to follow FT more closely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.