FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1217005-aa-gift-cards-save-10-costco-only-remaining-supply-left-phasing-out.html)

cwpfly May 18, 2011 8:13 pm

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Just got back from Costco and they had $300 AA gift cards for $269.99. From the signage it appears to have a limit of 8 cards per transaction. Hard to get a 10% guaranteed return anywhere right now, but for AA folks this is a good deal. :)

Edited to add: Costco location = Pentagon City, VA.

---------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR NOTE:

To be certain of availability, please call your Costco of choice and ask them to check the inventory for Item #576515.

Full terms and conditions of AA Gift Cards can be found here: https://giftcards.aa.com/terms.jsp

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What can I use my gift cards for? Are there any restrictions?
A:
- Gift Cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American EagleŽ and the AmericanConnectionŽ carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands.
- AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworldŽ partner or AA Codeshare flight.
- They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline.
- Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Q: Do gift cards expire?
A: No.

Q: Where can I use my AA gift cards?
A: Gift Cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Q: Is there a limit to how many gift cards I can use at a time?
A: Up to eight gift cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

Q: Can I use my gift card for the full all-in cost of my flight or just the base fare?
A: Gift Cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation.

Q: Is there anything I can't use them for?
A: Yes. Here's a partial list of INELIGIBLE products/services: upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantageŽ award travel; AmericanAirlines Vacations SM or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Q: What if I lose my gift card?
A: Sorry; you're out of luck. Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

/JY1024, AA forum co-moderator

chanp May 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by cwpfly (Post 16411675)
Just got back from Costco and they had $300 AA gift cards for $269.99. From the signage it appears to have a limit of 8 cards per transaction. Hard to get a 10% guaranteed return anywhere right now, but for AA folks this is a good deal. :)

Dont see them online, will check my local ones this weekend.

barelyelite May 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by cwpfly (Post 16411675)

Thanks for the heads up! Will make my way to Pentagon City this weekend.

Ross0 May 18, 2011 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by barelyelite (Post 16411751)
Thanks for the heads up! Will make my way to Pentagon City this weekend.

+1. Will try to get to Pentagon City Costco before heading to DCA on Sat.

biggreen May 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Is sales tax charged on gift card purchases? If so it could kill most of the savings depending on what city/state you're shopping in.

wrose99 May 18, 2011 9:25 pm

If someone finds these, please let us know the Costco item number, that is often useful in finding stores that carry an item. Thanks.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin May 18, 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by biggreen (Post 16411933)
Is sales tax charged on gift card purchases? If so it could kill most of the savings depending on what city/state you're shopping in.

Do they normally charge sales tax on gift cards?

living near shamu May 18, 2011 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin (Post 16412001)

I've never heard of anyone charging sales tax on GC because they're not the end product.

Robt760 May 18, 2011 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin (Post 16412001)

If it were British Airways, they would find a way to charge a tax/surcharge.

Microwave May 18, 2011 10:35 pm

If these are spotted anywhere in the Seattle area, please do post. :) I'll be stateside for at least the next 3 weeks and would love to pick up a few of these.

blase May 19, 2011 12:12 am

I'll investigate the Costco in the Schaumburg, IL area tomorrow!! This could be huge! :)

wdogg May 19, 2011 1:30 am

anyone know if they are doing these in CA?

ScreenGuy May 19, 2011 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 16412285)
If these are spotted anywhere in the Seattle area, please do post. :) I'll be stateside for at least the next 3 weeks and would love to pick up a few of these.

Be careful with giftcard terms and conditions... The itinerary can't begin outside the US (and possibly USVI, etc. but definitely not LHR!)

beckoa May 19, 2011 1:41 am

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.1067 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Damn... Know that AS was thinking about this...but was prob going to cost AS too much... All I can say is WoW.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin May 19, 2011 7:29 am

Originally Posted by wdogg (Post 16412816)
anyone know if they are doing these in CA?

I would really like to know this. I suppose I could go to my local Costco, but it's such a madhouse, I'd only like to go if I absolutely have to. :D