Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by cruisr
Thanks. I'm still not getting how does AA get my FF# as there is no where on the app to input it and the CSR said they don't have a field to enter it.
Historically it worked for people with AA credit cards. They would link it by SSN and voila, the miles would post. I was a bit skeptical too but it worked
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Historically it worked for people with AA credit cards. They would link it by SSN and voila, the miles would post. I was a bit skeptical too but it worked
Thank you so much. I knew FT would have an answer even if Citi didn't.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by adschnei
Hmmm I've definitely heard conflicting stories. I suppose its worth the effort to try and wrap things up right away!
I was able to call and confirm I have met the requirements and that when this statement cuts, I have 90 days until I receive my bonus. Crossing my fingers!

I signed up 2/25, completed obligations on 3/11 and it appears my 2nd statement should cut 3/27. So hopefully by 6/25 (or earlier) I receive the 30k!

Is it strange that my 1st statement was issued 2 days after I opened the account on 2/27?

Last edited by adschnei; Mar 13, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by adschnei
Hmmm I've definitely heard conflicting stories. I suppose its worth the effort to try and wrap things up right away!
Just to follow up on this. I sent a message to Citi yesterday and they confirmed that I had satisfied all the requirements after about 6 days. This means that "calendar" month refers to just that, not a rolling 30 day period. I'm still hoping to close the account before any fees kick in, fingers crossed on that one.

Also curiously, the PDF they sent me indicated that the miles would post within 90 days of the last transaction date on which all the requirements were met. This is different from the language on the actual promo which notes 90 days after statement close.

Also, someone else asked if I entered my AA number. There was never opportunity to do this and likely makes sense because it is targeted to Citi AA Card holders (ie: they already have your number). For this reason I would not recommend doing this if you did not receive the offer. I am also slightly suspicious of this, thus have sent another message to Citi so they can confirm the AA number which the miles will post to.

I will report back when the miles post.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:26 pm

Perhaps this is a stupid question... how do I make my initial deposit into a new Citigold account with a credit card? I just received the debit card in the mail and activated it online. I called the Citigold customer service number to ask about funding with a credit card, but he seemed confused. Even after asking a few supervisors, he said none of them had heard about being able to make the initial deposit this way.

Am I missing something? Just wanted to check before HUCA-ing.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by iLikeSteak
Perhaps this is a stupid question... how do I make my initial deposit into a new Citigold account with a credit card? I just received the debit card in the mail and activated it online. I called the Citigold customer service number to ask about funding with a credit card, but he seemed confused. Even after asking a few supervisors, he said none of them had heard about being able to make the initial deposit this way.

Am I missing something? Just wanted to check before HUCA-ing.
It's likely too late. You need to do it when you open the account, preferably in the branch. Also most cards will treat it as a cash advance FYI, I believe Barclays the exception.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:09 pm

Heard back from Citi again, they logged my AA number on the account (at my request, to expedite the miles posting) and mentioned I would see them on my June statement.
Hopefully they post sooner.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
It's likely too late. You need to do it when you open the account, preferably in the branch. Also most cards will treat it as a cash advance FYI, I believe Barclays the exception.
Ah, that's what I was afraid of, thanks. Yes, I was planning to use the Barclays US Airways card.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:17 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by lw7878
I opened my last Citigold in August, 2013 and closed it in March 2014. Am I qualified to open a new one now? Somehow "wait for 2 years" was my impression.

Will the promotion code lizs provided above work for everyone? Not targeted? (Thank you lizs!)

FYI - Last time I received 30,000 AA miles in Dec 2013 and Citi did not send me a 1099 in Jan/Feb 2014.

TIA!
I am in a similar boat. I'd appreciate any comments about this question. Thanks. (I mainly want to open a Citigold again so I get then open a Citi Prestige card at reduced AF and higher bonus miles.)
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by c2d
I am in a similar boat. I'd appreciate any comments about this question. Thanks. (I mainly want to open a Citigold again so I get then open a Citi Prestige card at reduced AF and higher bonus miles.)
I opened my last Citigold in August, 2013 and closed it in March 2014. Am I qualified to open a new one now? Somehow "wait for 2 years" was my impression.

Will the promotion code lizs provided above work for everyone? Not targeted? (Thank you lizs!)

FYI - Last time I received 30,000 AA miles in Dec 2013 and Citi did not send me a 1099 in Jan/Feb 2014.

TIA!

I read elsewhere that the requirement to put some spend on the debit card is what keeps this bonus out of the 1099 zone. Was this the same in your case? Did you have to put spend on the debit card before getting the miles? What I read said that this made it a rebate on the spend as opposed to interest on the cash deposit.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I tried to fund Citigold for a second time with Barclaycard Mastercard and was told it can only be funded by credit card once on initial deposit, is that correct?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:46 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I tried to fund Citigold for a second time with Barclaycard Mastercard and was told it can only be funded by credit card once on initial deposit, is that correct?
Yes, funding by CC is just one time at account opening only.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by thewhitezone
I read elsewhere that the requirement to put some spend on the debit card is what keeps this bonus out of the 1099 zone. Was this the same in your case? Did you have to put spend on the debit card before getting the miles? What I read said that this made it a rebate on the spend as opposed to interest on the cash deposit.
I used their debit card a few times as required by the T&C. After meeting the requirements, I emailed them to confirm. Here is their response.

After reviewing your account I do see that you did meet the requirements of a direct deposit for the first two consecutive months and $750 in purchases [using the debit card]. The bonus miles will be awarded up to 90 days from the statement ending date in which the account qualified [i.e. end of October].

Back then, I used Amazon Payment for the direct deposit. The miles posted on 12/17.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:51 pm

I used their debit card a few times as required by the T&C. After meeting the requirements, I emailed them to confirm. Here is their response.

After reviewing your account I do see that you did meet the requirements of a direct deposit for the first two consecutive months and $750 in purchases [using the debit card]. The bonus miles will be awarded up to 90 days from the statement ending date in which the account qualified [i.e. end of October].

Back then, I used Amazon Payment for the direct deposit. The miles posted on 12/17.
Did you have to follow up at all to get the miles to post?
I'm nervous about having to chase down this bonus, despite having 2 confirmations from Citi that I met the requirements.

The branch manager called me yesterday and said I have $0 in the savings account and asked that I move at least $1 over. So I did. But she then said I failed to meet the requirements as I used the "debit" instead of "credit" option on the card. I told her I contacted Citi who confirmed twice that I met the requirements. She then started questioning as to whether i will be using the account after I get the miles, which I obviously had to lie about.

Not ideal, but after my latest follow up inquiry I'm told the miles will post by Jun 6th.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
Did you have to follow up at all to get the miles to post?
I'm nervous about having to chase down this bonus, despite having 2 confirmations from Citi that I met the requirements.

The branch manager called me yesterday and said I have $0 in the savings account and asked that I move at least $1 over. So I did. But she then said I failed to meet the requirements as I used the "debit" instead of "credit" option on the card. I told her I contacted Citi who confirmed twice that I met the requirements. She then started questioning as to whether i will be using the account after I get the miles, which I obviously had to lie about.

Not ideal, but after my latest follow up inquiry I'm told the miles will post by Jun 6th.
Sorry to hear your experience was not as smooth. Although you have already received verbal confirmation, I'd suggest sending Citi a SM so you can get a written confirmation.

I didn't have to do anything after their response. The miles were posted as promised. But that was almost two years ago. Things might have changed.

Best luck to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.