Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:47 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before...

For the 15k miles bonus with the Citibank (middle tier) checking account, the current T&C states:

$15,000 in combined average monthly balances in eligible linked deposits, retirement accounts, loans and lines of credit, credit cards, mortgages and investment accounts

So, if I currently have 25k in credit card lines, would I meet the requirements by simply depositing $100 or any small amount, and meet the other requirements (debit purchase + bill pay) -- Would I be eligible for the 15k miles bonus? Or, would I need to deposit $15,000 in funds?

I did notice the T&C under numeral 8 indicates the lines of credit will no longer be contributing to the 15k combined as of 1/1/2015. Would I also be able to open this account with that $100, meet the other requirements, and close the account before 12/31/14 without any other closing fees? I didn't see any fees in the T&C, so just wanted to make sure.

EDIT: I meant to say, would I be both eligible for the 15k bonus and waiver of the monthly fee using the $100 and line of credit of 25k as my combined 15k....

Thanks for any and all input!

Last edited by y00y; Sep 17, 2014 at 10:55 pm
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:33 am

so the new offer is only for Citi AA card members also? I just cancelled earlier this year.........FML
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AMEX MR
In the T&C it says for AA credit card members only.

How is BankDirect in comparison to this. Pros/Cons? It seems you can earn more miles with Bank Direct.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AMEX MR
Is this deal still around? Do I need to apply for the Visa to get this deal? How does this compare to Bank Direct?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, AA GLD, Hyatt PLT, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Starbucks Gold
Miles posted but had to poke them

Opened an account on the phone using code DON42OQL3X on May 19. Completed the requirements on July 2. Had to call multiple times and given excuses as to why the miles had not been deposited. Finally open an "investigation" to get the miles. Received an email the same day as the investigation started that they miles would post. They were in my account the next day (11/2/14). 30K
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone seen a 50k offer recently?

Got the 30k one, but wondering if its worth it to wait.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:45 pm

Anybody got a promo code that has an expiry after the 31st of December 2014? PM me if you do, people had success in the past calling up and asking for the offer to be added to their account.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Anybody got a promo code that has an expiry after the 31st of December 2014? PM me if you do, people had success in the past calling up and asking for the offer to be added to their account.
I just called and opened an account. I used the code I found on your website DWBXLFT7VF. The agent was not able to pull anything up but after a couple of she must have found the offer somehow. She asked if it was the 30k AA offer and then proceeded to add it to my account.

The online application did not work whatsoever for me. I had to call to get this taken care of.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1M Miles
I just yesterday got the Citibank 50,000 mile offer to open a checking account. Going from memory the requirements were pay a qualifying bill with it 2 months in a row (not my Citibank cards, apparently - still need to see what type of bill they mean), and take out $1000 using the debit card. Seems like a no-brainer for 50000 miles. Plus I'm mostly in a credit union and often have trouble using the ATMs without a fee. So I think I'll do it unless there is some big catch I don't know about.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LifetimeGold
I just yesterday got the Citibank 50,000 mile offer to open a checking account. Going from memory the requirements were pay a qualifying bill with it 2 months in a row (not my Citibank cards, apparently - still need to see what type of bill they mean), and take out $1000 using the debit card. Seems like a no-brainer for 50000 miles. Plus I'm mostly in a credit union and often have trouble using the ATMs without a fee. So I think I'll do it unless there is some big catch I don't know about.
Citi will likely send you a 1099 showing the 50k miles "valued" at up to $0.025 each, so be warned that you might have as much as $1,250 of taxable income you weren't expecting. Of course, you can always argue the value with the IRS. My advice is to stick with credit card offers where the miles are not income.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1M Miles
Holy crap, really? You'd think they'd put that in the literature somewhere.

Thanks for the hint!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by dcflyer10
Is this deal still around? Do I need to apply for the Visa to get this deal? How does this compare to Bank Direct?
There is a new version of this offer, so, yes, it is still around.

Bank Direct offers 100 miles per month per 1000 in deposits, up to 50K in deposits... so 5000 points per month. In 6 months you would have 30,000 miles, not counting the sign up bonuses, the referral bonus (if some nice FTer refers you), and the bill pay and direct deposit bonuses. Bank Direct costs $12 per month.

The Money Market accounts at Bank Direct earn the same sign up bonuses, but only half the miles per month, and a meager interest rate that might give you a few pennies here and there.

So in 6 months, the Citi Gold account, funded with less than 50K or other requirements, would be 0,0,30,30,30,30=$120 It would be free if you have 50K or more... or meet the other requirements with a loan, etc. Bank Direct would cost less ($12 x6 =$72)and net about the same amount of points, depending on how much you deposited. I can't remember the exact sign up bonuses, but you get points for opening the account and the direct deposit, and bill pay.

I am not planning on swapping one for the other. I got the Citi offer, and might go ahead and apply, in addition to Bank Direct. I'm not closing my Bank Direct account. I like my Bank Direct miles coming in month after month, yet with 100% liquidity for my funds. You'd get the most bang for your buck by opening the Citi, then closing it when the points post, and opening a Bank Direct account with all the sign up goodies. Then, what the heck, go open a Fidelity account when you're done with Citi and Bank Direct.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:22 am
formerly gohima

Anyone have any luck flipping the ~$700 in debit card spend using venmo? Debit card transaction incur zero fees and the receiver can have the money in their account bd+1

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Citi will likely send you a 1099 showing the 50k miles "valued" at up to $0.025 each, so be warned that you might have as much as $1,250 of taxable income you weren't expecting. Of course, you can always argue the value with the IRS. My advice is to stick with credit card offers where the miles are not income.
I was under the impression that these 1099's are precautionary and the IRS has no interest in trying to value and tax airlines miles at this time. Has something changed?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:34 am

Got this offer yesterday. Sounds pretty simple to get the bonus miles.
Questions:
1. Does qualifying bill payment need to be any certain amount?
2. OK to close checking account right after miles post?

For those wondering the code still is DWBXLFT7VF. 30k bonus miles. Expires 3/31/15
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lizs
Got this offer yesterday. Sounds pretty simple to get the bonus miles.
Questions:
1. Does qualifying bill payment need to be any certain amount?
2. OK to close checking account right after miles post?

For those wondering the code still is DWBXLFT7VF. 30k bonus miles. Expires 3/31/15
Regarding the bill payments: I sent $20 once and $25 once to cover meal tabs a friend picked up for me. Although I haven't received my miles yet, I have two written confirmations that I met the requirments.

As for timing to close, I don't see why not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.