Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

AAdvantage Miles for Opening New Citibank Checking Account

I'm copying information from various posts that I found useful

1. So online transfers of funds from other banks (Bank of America) or Fidelity accounts will count as direct deposits - is that correct?
CORRECT

2. To get the 30K AA miles, does the Direct deposits have to be for a certain dollar amount? (I realize that there is a $30 monthly fee for the Gold acct if balance is not $50K)
NO MINIMUM DIRECT DEPOSIT REQUIREMENT

3. How long must the direct deposit funds remain with Citibank?
NO REQUIREMENT - NEEDS TO POST AND AFFECT YOUR BALANCE

4. For the debit purchases of $750, just choose the "credit" option instead of debit option at payment - is that correct?
I CHOSE CREDIT, OTHERS HAVE DONE DEBIT AND GOT MILES

5. Like the idea of purchasing a money order at Walmart (of course, depends on the fee). So has this be acceptable to meet the debit purchase of $750 for the offer?
YES

6. Since there is a long delay in getting the account info, checks, and debit card when opening an account online, should I just go into a branch in person to open such an account - is this an option? If not, does Citibank adjust the "60 day from account opening" if you notify them when the materials are not received for several weeks.

YOU CAN GO TO BRANCH TO OPEN ACCOUNT, TAKE OFFER CODE WITH YOU

Does it require Credit Pull?
No. It's a soft pull. However, you will be denied if your credit reports are frozen.

Easiest ways to meet requirements
One single WM MO to meet the spend requirement, and DD was met by ACH from Amazon Payments.
Print Wikipost

AA Miles For New Citibank Checking Account [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:48 pm

I just opened a Citigold package and completed all the steps online. Even though I have no plan to maintain anywhere near a $50,000 balance I figure since the fees for the first 2 months are waived I should only have to pay the $30 fee 2 or 3 times. I will take my chances that I can get the miles before paying the fee too many times Better than putting aside $6000 for the citibank package in my opinion and worth it for the 5000 extra miles.

I also changed to the American Airlines debit card with a 4000 miles sign up bonus (can do this under service center in the online banking site). Supposedly all debit card fees are waived in the citigold package.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:10 pm

I would like to do this for the CitiGold account, but when I go to the offers page & use code C25A, it says it's for regular checking with 25,000 miles. How do you get to the CitiGold 30k option?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by emeraldtx
I would like to do this for the CitiGold account, but when I go to the offers page & use code C25A, it says it's for regular checking with 25,000 miles. How do you get to the CitiGold 30k option?
Go here, click apply, and then be sure to put in the offer code. You can confirm that it has accepted the offer code by clicking on promotion disclosures.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:54 am

Thanks, got it!
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:28 pm

Can someone help me out with what I did wrong here?

I opened the account just to get the miles. Deposited $8000 and opened the aadvantage citibank mastercard debit for the extra points.

Today, I see a "$65 AA ADVANTAGE" fee on my account. I called up, to ask why, and I was told, that there is a $65 fee just to have my citibank checking account tied to the AAdvantage program!?!?!? Are you KIDDING me?!?!?

So they said, okay, we took the aadvantage off your account, and refunded you the $65.

Did I miss something here? Are these miles costing you all $65 or did I just get the wrong information? Or did I mess up something on my end to cause myself a $65 charge?

I'm hating citibank right now.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BBDDPP

I opened the account just to get the miles. Deposited $8000 and opened the aadvantage citibank mastercard debit for the extra points.

Today, I see a "$65 AA ADVANTAGE" fee on my account. I called up, to ask why, and I was told, that there is a $65 fee just to have my citibank checking account tied to the AAdvantage program!?!?!? Are you KIDDING me?!?!?

So they said, okay, we took the aadvantage off your account, and refunded you the $65.

Did I miss something here? Are these miles costing you all $65 or did I just get the wrong information? Or did I mess up something on my end to cause myself a $65 charge?

I think the $65 is just for the debit card tied to AA, which is optional, but does provide miles.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I think the $65 is just for the debit card tied to AA, which is optional, but does provide miles.
That's exactly what it is. The checking account is free if you maintain certain activity, you can have the Citi Thank You points debit card for free, if you elect to add the AA debit card, there's a $65 annual fee.

--wes
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by BBDDPP

Do you have the citigold or citibank package?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
does this C25A offer still work now that it's March?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by epiding
does this C25A offer still work now that it's March?
Yup.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by josephstern
Yup.
Just tried C25A , worked.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:39 am

Has anyone had any luck getting these miles in past offers without having an AAdvantage credit card?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Has anybody, who closed a Citi bank account earlier, was able to get the AA miles for opening a new Citi bank account? Please let me know. Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: All of em...
After reading through this thread and seeing all the cons and difficulties and haggling necessary to get 25k - 30k miles, I'm passing on this offer.
Initially it looked good but paying $20-$30 a month or keeping a $6k balance is just not worth it for me.

Not to mention, in reading the prior years threads there are numerous people who have had to write letter after letter to still receive zero miles.

The credit card offers have never failed me, so I'm sticking to what I know works.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:57 pm

When does C25A expire? Has anyone confirmed March 31st? I got in on this. My girl wants in. Thanks bros.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.