Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport "Country of Issuance" ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Passport "Country of Issuance" ?

On aa.com I am filling out advanced passenger info for travel abroad and it asks for Country of Issuance and Passport Nationality. I have a US passport that was issued at the US Embassy in Paris. I am sure I am over thinking this but technically a US embassy is on american soil no matter where it is in the world. So is my Country of Issuance France or USA? I know my passport nationality is USA.

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Look inside, on the info page it will state the country of issuance.

Last edited by bdemaria; Dec 27, 2010 at 3:11 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by MorganB
On aa.com I am filling out advanced passenger info for travel abroad and it asks for Country of Issuance and Passport Nationality. I have a US passport that was issued at the US Embassy in Paris. I am sure I am over thinking this but technically a US embassy is on american soil no matter where it is in the world. So is my Country of Issuance France or USA? I know my passport nationality is USA.

Thanks!
Country of Issuance: France
Citizenship: US
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by MorganB

Thanks!
More specifically, on the your passport look for the field that states Authority, immediately across from date of issue. Whatever it says there is what AA.com is looking for.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by AMR747
Country of Issuance: France
Citizenship: US
This is incorrect.

Country of issuance is what country made the passport. So, the answer is: US, US.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:04 pm

Because a passport is a travel document - not a proof of citizenship (though it may state a nationality in the passport).

E.g. some countries provide passports for residents even if they are not citizens - if these people can not obtain a passport from their country of citizenship or if they are stateless.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by emma dog
This is incorrect.

Country of issuance is what country made the passport. So, the answer is: US, US.
Not necessarily.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
"Because a passport is a travel document - not a proof of citizenship (though it may state a nationality in the passport)."-I humbly correct Erik123. He believes what many do... BUT a United States Passport IS absolute PROOF OF US CITIZENSHIP!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Was it made on-premises at the embassy, or did you apply for and collect it there, with the physical document being printed somewhere in the United States? It should state that on the inside cover, as another poster mentioned.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold
If it is a US Passport the Country of Issuance is always the United States. The nationality is listed on the passport. It is right below the Given Name on a US Passport
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A passport can be issued by a country to persons who are not ordinary citizens of the country issuing the passport for a foreign citizen -- and that is indeed a large part of why the requested information is what it is.

For US citizens using a US passport, the country of issuance for a US passport is the same as the country of citizenship -- even for emergency replacement passports issued by US embassies/consulates on premises of such US facilities on foreign soil. If there are still any current exceptions to that when it comes to US passports, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 27, 2010 at 3:36 pm
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by 1st Cav Vet
"BUT a United States Passport IS absolute PROOF OF US CITIZENSHIP!
Not wishing to go off-topic, but until challenged in court last year this wasn't the case in Texas. The state started requiring proof of immigration status for driving licence renewal and refused to accept a US passport as proof of US citizenship unless it listed the US as country of birth. This absurd ruling caused major problems for immigrants who has acquired their citizenship through their parents while minors, since they had no documentation beyond a US passport.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by 1st Cav Vet
"Because a passport is a travel document - not a proof of citizenship (though it may state a nationality in the passport)."-I humbly correct Erik123. He believes what many do... BUT a United States Passport IS absolute PROOF OF US CITIZENSHIP!
True, but I found out when I was young that most Americans don't accept US Passport or even a birth certificate as a proof to be an American

Get this: when I tried to open my very first bank account when I was 13, the bank told me I needed something "more universally accepted" like a driver license.

I just said okay, walked out the door, crossed the street and opened up an account with BofA that day. I have been with them ever since
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Not wishing to go off-topic, but until challenged in court last year this wasn't the case in Texas. The state started requiring proof of immigration status for driving licence renewal and refused to accept a US passport as proof of US citizenship unless it listed the US as country of birth. This absurd ruling caused major problems for immigrants who has acquired their citizenship through their parents while minors, since they had no documentation beyond a US passport.
It also caused headaches for natural-born US citizens who were born outside of the US. Doesn't the number of natural-born US citizens born abroad far exceed the numbers for previously non-US persons who acquired US citizenship through their parents while minors?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:05 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Too many overthinking this along with MorganB

As the OPs query has been answered and the stray tendrils that have swayed away from the topic have so little to do with AA the thread will be closed. Further suggest that those who wish to pursue further can feel free start a thread in OMNI.

~moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.