Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

buyAAMiles / giftAAMiles Bonus for November 2010 - 2K bonus / 6K purchased

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

buyAAMiles / giftAAMiles Bonus for November 2010 - 2K bonus / 6K purchased

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:47 pm

IME, the bonuses tend to post within a couple of weeks at the most.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:23 pm

If anyone's still wondering - miles purchased from an airline DO count as 3X rewards on Am Ex Premier Rewards cards.

It sounds like any purchase directly from an airline counts.

It might sweeten the pot a little if you need 3x MR instead of 1x AA.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Offer extended till December 31st

Post title says it all
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG, Hertz Gold
An Extra 20,000 miles? Really?

I received an e-mail from AAdvantage and it said this:

"Don't quite have enough miles to book your travel now? When you buy the miles you need, you'll earn a special bonus — for every 6,000 miles you purchase, you'll earn 2,000 bonus miles, up to 20,000 bonus miles!"

I am thinking about buying the 60,000 miles for $1,500 because I think it's a pretty good deal. I fly as often as I can but I believe it would cost quite a bit more than $1,500 to earn 60,000 miles.

My question is this, if I buy the 60,000 miles does that mean I will actually receive 80,000 miles?

I have tried to find out if there is some sort of catch to this but I haven't found one. Is there a catch to this offer? Am I missing something here?

Thanks, and sorry if this seems like a profoundly stupid question that I am asking.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I don't think there's a catch.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum (2.4MM), DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Platinum (Lifetime), Hilton Gold
I think the 20,000 miles bonus ended on Nov 30, but if it didn't for whatever reason, don't forget the taxes and fees over and beyond the $1500.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
No catch. However, all this does is reduce the absurdly exorbitant cost to a highly (but less absurdly) exorbitant cost. Unless you need a few miles to top up your account for an award, you want a high-value award like an international upgrade and you're sure it will be available, or there's some other special situation, buying miles is usually not a cost-effective way to get them.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:11 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by CO_Bulkhead
I think the 20,000 miles bonus ended on Nov 30, but if it didn't for whatever reason, don't forget the taxes and fees over and beyond the $1500.
AA extended the offer till the end of the year.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jagoffee
AA extended the offer till the end of the year.
How generous of them!!

Unless your plan is to immediately monetize those 80,000 miles (along with other miles) into a J/F ticket you were otherwise about to buy with your own cash, then it still seems like a pretty bad deal.

With no immediate purpose, I'd maybe pay $750 or so (in 2010 dollars) for 80,000 miles to be potentially used later. Some FT'ers would probably go a little higher...maybe up to a grand or so if you have some idea of a 2011 need for them.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
How generous of them!!

Unless your plan is to immediately monetize those 80,000 miles (along with other miles) into a J/F ticket you were otherwise about to buy with your own cash, then it still seems like a pretty bad deal.

With no immediate purpose, I'd maybe pay $750 or so (in 2010 dollars) for 80,000 miles to be potentially used later. Some FT'ers would probably go a little higher...maybe up to a grand or so if you have some idea of a 2011 need for them.
There are certainly plenty of people on this board who "pay" 2c/mile all the time, but not using a cashback credit card and using a Citi AA card instead, no? So this is just a way to accumulate AA miles instead of the Citi cards, as essentially the same price.

See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ice-miles.html

One is money out of pocket, and one is money not-into-pocket, but they really aren't different.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:10 am

Do these count towards EQM?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by drozek
Do these count towards EQM?
No.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
There are certainly plenty of people on this board who "pay" 2c/mile all the time, but not using a cashback credit card and using a Citi AA card instead, no? So this is just a way to accumulate AA miles instead of the Citi cards, as essentially the same price.

See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ice-miles.html

One is money out of pocket, and one is money not-into-pocket, but they really aren't different.
I agree with you on that...I admit I don't get the value prop of using a Citi AA card as a primary-spend card. The travel "currency" I get the most value out of (and most importantly, value where each point has a short lifespan in my account) is SPG. So I mostly use their card...

I have a couple airline cards because of attractive upfront promotional terms. Signup bonuses, threshold bonuses, etc.

Question for you: what's your favorite 2% cashback card? I would probably pick that one up. Closest thing I have is a Citi TYP card that functions as a reasonable proxy for about a 3% cashback card due to built-up flight points under earlier promos, but that won't last forever... It's also not a straight-rebate card: it requires me to use Expedia to buy one of my normal airline tickets every once in a while to monetize home-grown points.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I agree with you on that...I admit I don't get the value prop of using a Citi AA card as a primary-spend card. The travel "currency" I get the most value out of (and most importantly, value where each point has a short lifespan in my account) is SPG. So I mostly use their card...

I have a couple airline cards because of attractive upfront promotional terms. Signup bonuses, threshold bonuses, etc.

Question for you: what's your favorite 2% cashback card? I would probably pick that one up. Closest thing I have is a Citi TYP card that functions as a reasonable proxy for about a 3% cashback card due to built-up flight points under earlier promos, but that won't last forever... It's also not a straight-rebate card: it requires me to use Expedia to buy one of my normal airline tickets every once in a while to monetize home-grown points.
Yes - SPG is the best, and, of course, there's status on top of the 1.25 miles (plus potential transfer bonuses and flexibility).

On the 2%, I've got two Schwab cards, and they're great, but no longer available. But no Forex fees, and 2% just ACH'd to any account each month. Also no annual fee.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:33 am

buying miles on current promo.

Just wanna throw this question out there. Is buying 60000 AA miles for $1500 worth it? There will be 20000 bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.