Wiki Posts
Search

Question about AA / TSA at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Primary: AA & Marriott; Also Hilton, JetBlue and United
Question about AA / TSA at SFO

I guess I should know this already, but I don't. Did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. If you know where this is previously asked and answered, all search help is appreciated.

Flying Monday morning to DFW. I'm in F and my mother and her boyfriend are on the same flight in Y. Clearly I can use the F security lane, but if my mother and her boyfriend are traveling with me, can they go through the F security lane too, so long as they're with me?

They are on a different PNR than me.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 206013671
I guess I should know this already, but I don't. Did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. If you know where this is previously asked and answered, all search help is appreciated.

Flying Monday morning to DFW. I'm in F and my mother and her boyfriend are on the same flight in Y. Clearly I can use the F security lane, but if my mother and her boyfriend are traveling with me, can they go through the F security lane too, so long as they're with me?

SFO Priority AAccess Security is generally pretty quick. As long as you spell out to the person there that your mother and her boyfriend are with you then you guys should be fine. Often, there's nobody even checking (but I suppose on Monday morning there probably would be). Also, if your mother/her boyfriend are elite/flying on AAnytime award tickets, Priority AAccess is included
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:44 am

I've seen this happen a lot. Just hand over the boarding passes together and if they question, say they are flying with you. As irksome as it may be to some flyers (such as myself) who have to wait behind families where only one is elite, the truth is, this does happen and is probably okay by AA standards, so take advantage of it.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:49 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I would just say "These two are with me" and I'm sure they will let them through.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by All American Flyer
SFO Priority AAccess Security is generally pretty quick.
You shouldn't have a problem using the Priority AAccess line. Agree that SFO security is usually pretty quick, although not as quick as it used to be now that AC has started using the AA pier of gates. At 6:05a this past Tuesday morning, there was a line back to the doors just to enter the non-Priority lane.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
You shouldn't have a problem using the Priority AAccess line. Agree that SFO security is usually pretty quick, although not as quick as it used to be now that AC has started using the AA pier of gates. At 6:05a this past Tuesday morning, there was a line back to the doors just to enter the non-Priority lane.

It's still a 1000 times better then the UA side but ya just say your mother and her boyfriend are travelling with you and you should be fine. The easiest way is to group all 3 bp together for the Priority Access checker and put your PA bp on top.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
The easiest way is to group all 3 bp together for the Priority Access checker and put your PA bp on top.
Agree. The checker is not even going to look closely at the 2nd and 3rd BPs or even care.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Put all three BPs together with yours on top and just flash yours to the non-TSA security guy who secures (sic) the Priority Access lane.

BM
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
To be clear, it's the person standing in front of the PriorityAAccess security line that guards entry to the line. They usually wear a maroon colored uniform. The person at the front of the line wearing the blue colored TSA uniform that checks your ID does not care what class of service pax are in.

I've never handed my bp over to the PriorityAAccess guard. Just quickly show them yours and say "the two people behind me are with me."
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I've often used the regular line, because there are more open scanners there... you should look over at the line and how fast it's moving before deciding to go thru the Priority Access security line.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. I fly through the SFO Priority Access lane a few times per month, but never with other passengers. They're not elites, so this will make our trip through security a little easier.

I figured this would be the case, but you all have confirmed I likely have nothing to worry about.

Thanks to all!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, HH, *wood
just curious

Are you also planning to board the plane with them? I don't see why not, since it's pretty much the same scenario.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAX Gambit
Are you also planning to board the plane with them? I don't see why not, since it's pretty much the same scenario.
You mean will they board with me? Yes, I intend to try that too. I figure I'd have luck with that scenario since I see it periodically. Just didn't know how the TSA was likely to react.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
You mean will they board with me? Yes, I intend to try that too. I figure I'd have luck with that scenario since I see it periodically. Just didn't know how the TSA was likely to react.
Once again, the person in the maroon uniform at the head of the line checking to see if you are in the right line is not TSA. The person in a blue uniform who looks at your boarding pass and ID to make sure the name on the ID matches the name on the BP and that the picture matches you doesn't care what line you are in.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
International Lines

And depending on the time of day you may find the international gates (in the intl terminal) much faster. Though at times they are the worst. And with family tough to run around. But an option if you are in a hurry and taking Bart or using the garage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.