Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways Merger Rumors Resurfacing...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by metsfan1962
Why the heck would AA want an incompatible fleet of Airbusses and top-of- the-payscale disgruntled Useless Airways (East and West) employees who can’t even agree on seniority within their own incompetently-led corporate structure?
Fleet differences receive way more significance than they deserve around here. US flying Airbi is far from a deal breaker, not to mention US has a young, desirable fleet of Airbi. Look at the DL/NW merger as a prime example of this.

That being said, I think the chances of this hook-up happening are slim and none, and slim just left the building.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Fleet differences receive way more significance than they deserve around here.
AA purposely went through a fleet alignment program. Presumably, they did this for a reason. That doesn't mean they should never consider buying an airline that has different planes. It also doesn't mean that this community overemphasizes the point, since AA themselves emphasized the point.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by emma dog
Meh. So very unlikely for 1,000,000 reasons. US is line a pregnant whore looking to name the baby daddy.
Said crudely but right on point. USAir would bring virtually nothing to AA other than more labor relation problems, a mismatched fleet, no real International prescense, and even more flights on an already overcapacity East Coast. Yes, this lady is going to have a hard time from a daddy.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:50 pm

From a union perspective, a merger could never work. From a route network perspective, there would be a lot of overlap, but personally would enjoy the flights to MYR, SAV & CHS. I don't know about PHX, US has a lot of space there, and it's a good market--but a hub for AA? I can't think of any reason for it.

I have flown US a number of times this year, and it is really two airlines. The East Coast staff (former US Air) remains professional and courteous, and an anethema to the complete train wreck of the legacy HP holdovers--that are driving the train.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
As bad as US is, as a CLT resident I would likely be screwed in a US-AA merger as I try to cover the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast states in my Zone:

1) Possible loss of easy Star Alliance access in favor of SkyTeam (hello, DL) or OneWorld
2) Loss of direct flights (more time away from family), as I would likely be forced to connect via ATL (DL), BNA (Southwest), or IAD (UAL)...assuming AA doesn't keep CLT as a Southeast hub to challenge DL. If AA doesn't keep DL as a hub, AA is completely worthless to me if I am flying to the southeast, right?

On the plus side, access to a better frequent flyer program on DL, better first class product on DL, better customer service...interesting to ponder what might be different.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Fleet differences receive way more significance than they deserve around here. US flying Airbi is far from a deal breaker, not to mention US has a young, desirable fleet of Airbi. Look at the DL/NW merger as a prime example of this.
Their airbus fleet isn't all that young. Their A320s are 11.2 yrs old and their 319s are 8.9 years old. souce

Originally Posted by glenngpr
From a union perspective, a merger could never work. From a route network perspective, there would be a lot of overlap, but personally would enjoy the flights to MYR, SAV & CHS. I don't know about PHX, US has a lot of space there, and it's a good market--but a hub for AA? I can't think of any reason for it.
US is in deep doo-doo. CLT is not a worthwhile hub. The O&D traffic is incredibly weak (#36!!!!) compared to other US airports. It's all connecting passengers. In fact, STL has 25% more O&D traffic and it couldn't maintain a hub. TPA has 2x the O&D traffic of CLT and you don't see a whole lot of flights by anyone other than WN that are to non-hub airports. US also doesn't have rights to any unique routes that AA would have a need to purchase.

Shuttle is not an issue anymore either. 9/11 and Amtrak have really broken the back of the shuttle's value. The Boston routes might have some value, but I don't know.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
CLT is not a worthwhile hub. The O&D traffic is incredibly weak (#36!!!!) compared to other US airports.
I'm not disagreeing with your hypothesis or your facts, but I could learn something: can you cite a source for this O&D ranking (or percentage)?
Old Nov 14, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
CLT is not a worthwhile hub. The O&D traffic is incredibly weak (#36!!!!) compared to other US airports. It's all connecting passengers. In fact, STL has 25% more O&D traffic and it couldn't maintain a hub. TPA has 2x the O&D traffic of CLT and you don't see a whole lot of flights by anyone other than WN that are to non-hub airports. US also doesn't have rights to any unique routes that AA would have a need to purchase.
I dunno. I hear all the time how "not worthwhile" CLT is. While I agree that US is likely on life support and "not worthwhile", the same cannot be said of CLT. Check the premiums that US commands on direct flights here. As we say in CLT, "Bless your heart."

Safe Travels

Last edited by GTITAN; Nov 14, 2009 at 3:15 pm Reason: precision of quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Their airbus fleet isn't all that young. Their A320s are 11.2 yrs old and their 319s are 8.9 years old. souce
Which means nothing if you aren't using a point of reference. What's the average age of AA's MD80/757 fleet? The last 757 was delivered in 2001 or so and the last MD80 IIRC, was delivered at the end of 1999 to TW.

Nevermind the fact that US's 330s are quite young as well - the oldest having been delivered in 2006.

That doesn't mean they should never consider buying an airline that has different planes.
That's my point though - some people seem to be claiming AA would never go for the tie-up because of fleet differences, and I would disagree with that.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 3:06 pm

USeless Airways is actually the prime example of the American Aviation Industry. AA merging with that is like taking Mr. Bush to Cuba.

Deregulation on another level might help: Foreign ownership. American protectionism has it's price.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
CLT is not a worthwhile hub.
CLT may not be a great hub for the airline, but from a traveler's perspective it's a great hub. A prime reason I fly US so often is that it's a much better option than connecting through ATL on DL or IAD on UA, and I'd happily choose it over DFW too.

Likewise, their Airbii with fresh interiors are in fine shape too. Sure, their domestic first class and international business class still lags the others, but while it could be better it's not the pits hell either (as some try to describe it).

If a US/AA merger meant more ORD/DFW rather than CLT and losing Star Alliance membership, I'd rather stick with flying US as it is now.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 3:36 pm
EAL
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Virgin America Elevate
Originally Posted by twa777
CLT may not be a great hub for the airline, but from a traveler's perspective it's a great hub.
I feel the same about PHL...I'd much rather connect in PHL than IAD, JFK, ATL, ORD, EWR, etc. I think a US/AA merger would probably mean the end of a hub in both PHL and CLT...if that would happen, I agree with you...I'd rather keep US as it is now. Although, I do believe an airline would pick up some of the PHL routes...I'm sure there is some good O&D traffic there.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
USAir would bring virtually nothing to AA other than more labor relation problems, a mismatched fleet, no real International prescense, and even more flights on an already overcapacity East Coast.
You forgot to mention Doug--the worst part of US Air.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by twa777
If a US/AA merger meant more ORD/DFW rather than CLT and losing Star Alliance membership, I'd rather stick with flying US as it is now.
I hate to break it to you but neither of those are viable options IMO. US going Ch 7, and you having to pick an alternate solution is probably a more likely outcome. The only thing I can see AA and the other airlines doing is picking up some gates and routes as a result of a US Ch 7 BK. So if you want to stay with *A then it will probably be UA via IAD for you.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I hate to break it to you but neither of those are viable options IMO. US going Ch 7, and you having to pick an alternate solution is probably a more likely outcome. The only thing I can see AA and the other airlines doing is picking up some gates and routes as a result of a US Ch 7 BK. So if you want to stay with *A then it will probably be UA via IAD for you.
Well don't forget via CLE, IAH and/or EWR. CO is *A too as is AC via YYZ.

Safe Travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.