Wiki Posts
Search

762 EWR/LAX - Same as JFK flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, LH Senator, TG Gold, AA Platinum
762 EWR/LAX - Same as JFK flights?

When AA119 changes to a 762..will the service be the same as the nonstop flights from JFK? I know there will be no flagship lounge access-Admirals Club access is fine with me. Thanx
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:13 pm

This will be the same service as a two class transcontinental flight. All 39/40 premium seats will be sold as first class.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

thanx for the quick response. I'll rebook via JFK.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:11 am

When EWR-LAX changes to the 762 in July, they are currently selling the tickets as (3) class service. There is a large difference in price when compared to the (2) class service.

When the system first changed the schedule to a 762, you were able to book it as (2) class but now they've changed it to (3) class.

Dave
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by AAPlatinum757
When EWR-LAX changes to the 762 in July, they are currently selling the tickets as (3) class service. There is a large difference in price when compared to the (2) class service.

When the system first changed the schedule to a 762, you were able to book it as (2) class but now they've changed it to (3) class.

Dave
Looks like pricing may not have been fully adjusted yet, so if I were you, and you're planning to book F or J, I'd jump on the EWR flight now. YUP fares are about $800 o/w and the F fare is under $1,900 o/w. Maybe they are basing this on the two class prices, or maybe there is just that much less demand for the service?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by JumboD
Looks like pricing may not have been fully adjusted yet, so if I were you, and you're planning to book F or J, I'd jump on the EWR flight now. YUP fares are about $800 o/w and the F fare is under $1,900 o/w. Maybe they are basing this on the two class prices, or maybe there is just that much less demand for the service?
Are you implying that $1,900 o/w is a good deal, or is my sarcasm detector not working well today?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG, National Exec
Originally Posted by schriste
Are you implying that $1,900 o/w is a good deal, or is my sarcasm detector not working well today?
Compared to LAX/JFK it is a few hundred cheaper...
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by sinner7
Compared to LAX/JFK it is a few hundred cheaper...
OK, but a yup fare on CO in the EWR Lax market is about $1,000 round trip... and they fly Business First equiped 752s on that route.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JumboD
I pulled up the fares on Expertflyer -- it does look like they have been adjusted for 3-class service from EWR. The EWR flights (114/119 I think) are in the "must fly" list for the 3-class fares and the "can't fly" for the 2-class fares.

HOWEVER, the fares from EWR do appear cheaper than from JFK. For example, the cheapest business class fare from EWR is ~$1,600 r/t vs. $2,100 from JFK. The 3-class F fare is $3,600 vs. $5,000 r/t. I wouldn't pay $1,400 for access to the flagship lounge...

The EWR fare appears to let you stand by for flights to JFK, at least on the return.

Relative to the 3-class F fare from JFK, yes, it is a good deal (see above). In and of itself, most of us would say it's not good value, not at all.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, but a yup fare on CO in the EWR Lax market is about $1,000 round trip... and they fly Business First equiped 752s on that route.
The YUP (actually a BUP) is only for CO elites. The regular first class fare on CO is $1,600 r/t, about the same as AA J. Even at comparable fares, I would take a CO 757 over an AA 767 in J. I would probably also take a CO 757 over an AA 767 in 3-class F. Especially when you're talking about potentially a $3,000 fare difference, but even fare-neutral. The only benefit to AA 767 F, IMHO, is the celebrity sightings, and you probably won't get as much to EWR. And maybe the Flagship lounge, but it's not really that much better than a CO President's club, if you have access (not included in the fare).

FWIW, CO only has 2-3 flights a day (out of about 7) on the 757.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The YUP (actually a BUP) is only for CO elites.
I don't think that's right. A Y/B fare would only confirm an upgrade for an elite. But a YUP/BUP on CO I believe works just like KUPs and YUPs - coach fares with an upgrade that is part of the fare and not tied to FF status.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sts603
I don't think that's right. A Y/B fare would only confirm an upgrade for an elite. But a YUP/BUP on CO I believe works just like KUPs and YUPs - coach fares with an upgrade that is part of the fare and not tied to FF status.
There really aren't published YUP/BUP fares on CO. Elites can confirm upgrades into first class, with NO capacity controls, when flying on Y or B coach fares. Everyone else has to purchase an F fare. On some routes, CO publishes a slightly discounted first class fare that books into discounted first class "A" inventory, but with fare basis code like BCOUP. They used to be "R" fares but CO recently switched around all its codes in preparation for the entry into Star alliance. But this A fare is a first class fare, and it's rarely more than $50-100 off the full F fare each way. And it's always more expensive than full Y.

Last edited by ijgordon; Jun 10, 2009 at 10:03 am
Old Jun 10, 2009, 4:25 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I used to schedule LAX-EWR last year during the summer and then use a VIP to grab that first class seat. Both Business and First were sold as first, and it would piss a lot of people off when they were sitting in first and thought they were in "business". And on 2 different flights, the FA's didn't help when they said, "Oh, both cabin's are business, not first". You'll have to talk to the airline about a downgrade. I was looking forward to doing it this month and next, but I am indeed out of luck. They're being sold as 3 class aircraft. Maybe that will change. Who knows.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Still Confused

I sent a message to aa and this is the only relevant item in the reply: We show that the 767-200 aircraft will have three classes of service (F/J/Y). She made no mention of the service. I assume this to mean there were be three traditional cabins. Maybe skylady will have some useful input. ijgordon thank you for clearing up the fares.

Last edited by yvrguy; Jun 10, 2009 at 6:51 pm
Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:16 pm

Strictly looking at the crew complement, appears to be operated as a 2 class flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.