Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to earn miles for AA in a short period of time?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Smile How to earn miles for AA in a short period of time?

I'm new to this forum and learned the hard way about asking questions about swapping/sharing miles (post was deleted).

Anyway, what's the best way to earn miles or obtain miles in the fastest way and most affordable? I'm trying to earn enough miles for a trip and don't feel like paying American $475 for 19k miles.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:46 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by tom911
still would lag by a month though (Citi Advantage). You get a credit card and would have to wait for the first statement to post (after spending atleast $750)
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Other than flying, I've found the fastest way to get miles is a hotel partner points to miles transfer. I've typically found these miles post in a week or under.

All the other options I can think of, eshopping, etc can take upwards of 8 to 10 weeks to post.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
AA Dining posts in about a week. Great program to earn miles for just eating at a local restaurant, bar, cafe, or even a fast food joint. I've gotten so used to this that I now ONLY eat at places that participate in this program.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
I recommend the OP spend some time reading this forum. The info being sought is already here (and has been asked about multiple times).

For example, had the OP started with this sticky thread at the top of the forum, she'd have found a link to just what she is seeking...
"Help - I need xxx miles" consolidated thread ... and probably much more.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by wvillagegirl
I'm new to this forum and learned the hard way about asking questions about swapping/sharing miles (post was deleted).

Anyway, what's the best way to earn miles or obtain miles in the fastest way and most affordable? I'm trying to earn enough miles for a trip and don't feel like paying American $475 for 19k miles.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!
It is one thing to be a couple of thousand miles short for a trip, it is another to be 19K short. Before you start rushing around to earn more miles, have you checked the price of simply buying the ticket for this trip. Sometimes it is both easier and cheaper to buy the ticket.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:58 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
I recommend the OP spend some time reading this forum. The info being sought is already here (and has been asked about multiple times).

For example, had the OP started with this sticky thread at the top of the forum, she'd have found a link to just what she is seeking...
"Help - I need xxx miles" consolidated thread ... and probably much more.
The OP can also check out the wiki at:
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...r_Mileage_(AA)

...and I agree with bdemaria, too!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by dstan
The OP can also check out the wiki at:
Yes! The wiki is another great source of information.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded and offered advice.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Co Gold
One option would be to open a Citi AA card, then call Citi and ask them to change your closing date to a few day from when you call. Then quickly spend $750. The miles should post a day or two after the statement closes.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kebosabi
AA Dining posts in about a week. Great program to earn miles for just eating at a local restaurant, bar, cafe, or even a fast food joint. I've gotten so used to this that I now ONLY eat at places that participate in this program.
19K worth of dining in a short time? If OP chooses this course, they would need to earn enough for a bigger seat in front.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by gemac
19K worth of dining in a short time? If OP chooses this course, they would need to earn enough for a bigger seat in front.
Oops, I didn't catch that "need 19k miles" part...my bad.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Buy Gift Cards/Certificates, and you can easily crank that. Well, I could, but I already have elite dining and flying status, and pick the right promos, so...

Steve
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wvillagegirl
If you're new to this forum, then surely you read the thread titled "Newcomers to this forum: PLEASE READ FIRST" that is at the top of every page. In it, it tells you that we expect you to try to find the answer to your question first, and only start up a new thread if that search is unsuccessful. One of the resources it suggests to find information is "Unofficial User's Guide" sticky at the top of every page. This contains links to all of this forum's "Master Threads", where we keep all the answers to frequently asked questions. Not surprisingly, your question is one of those, and the answers are contained in the ""Help, I need xxx Miles" and "by xxx" (consolidated)" thread listed there. See how easy? Three clicks and perhaps 10 minutes of reading would not only have taken you to all the answers you have gotten in this thread, but to many more that might have suited your needs better. Not only that, but you would have learned how to answer most of your questions for yourself, and would have learned that there are answers available here to questions that you never even knew enough to ask.
I strongly suggest that to get maximum benefit out of this forum and to significantly improve your flying experience, you become familiar with the valuable resources here and learn how to use them to answer your questions. If you can't seem to get the answer from AA.com, the Unofficial User's Guide, the Wiki, or search, feel free to post your question and the members here will do their best to provide an answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.