FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   New aa.com Seat Selection Rules? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/876380-new-aa-com-seat-selection-rules.html)

normcpa Oct 15, 2008 12:24 pm

New aa.com Seat Selection Rules?

I looked in "search" but didn't see anything. I just bought some tickets on aa.com for a trip in January, and when I went to select my seats (as a Lifetime Platinum), I was not allowed to choose an exit row seat. :mad::mad: The chart has been reconfigured and there is a notation that you have to be flying with a B or Y fare to access the exit rows. There are also "preferred seats" blocked off as well.

I was out of the country most of September and this was the first time I booked a flight since getting back.

Has this been discussed here? What's the deal?

This ability to access the exit row has been a very significant factor is my blind allegiance to AA for countless years!

carlitos Oct 15, 2008 12:30 pm

I bought two tickets from MEX-EZE yesterday and was able to secure exit row seats in all 4 flights (aircrafts). From the M80, 767-3 (DFW), 777-2 and 737-800 (MIA). No problem at all and I am only gold.

SethLevy Oct 15, 2008 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by normcpa (Post 10524710)
I looked in "search" but didn't see anything. I just bought some tickets on aa.com for a trip in January, and when I went to select my seats (as a Lifetime Platinum), I was not allowed to choose an exit row seat. :mad::mad: The chart has been reconfigured and there is a notation that you have to be flying with a B or Y fare to access the exit rows. There are also "preferred seats" blocked off as well.

I was out of the country most of September and this was the first time I booked a flight since getting back.

Has this been discussed here? What's the deal?

This ability to access the exit row has been a very significant factor is my blind allegiance to AA for countless years!

Not sure if there has been a change in policy, but today as an EXP, I booked a N fare and was able to reserve the exit row seat without problem.

FWIW, I never liked the fact AA allowed GLD and PLTs to reserve exit row seating in advance. I for one, would be happy if they did restrict this ability to EXPs and those paying full fare.

miamigrad Oct 15, 2008 12:35 pm

I don't know if Lifetime Gold or Lifetime Platinums are excluded, but the concept of "Preferred Seats" has been discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876291
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=seats

Safe travels

justforfun Oct 15, 2008 12:41 pm

That's a pretty significant change if lifetime status no longer gives you access to preferred seating. That doesn't sound right though. But who knows.

To OP, are you sure those seats weren't just already occupied? The new map takes some getting used to.

retirementdreams Oct 15, 2008 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun (Post 10524820)
That's a pretty significant change if lifetime status no longer gives you access to preferred seating. That doesn't sound right though. But who knows.

To OP, are you sure those seats weren't just already occupied? The new map takes some getting used to.

It would certainly be worth a call to try to get it straightened out. It sure doesnt make sense that you are not able to get preferred seating.

passinginterest Oct 15, 2008 12:44 pm

It would appear to all come down to the accuracy of this statement:

"...ured and there is a notation that you have to be flying with a B or Y fare to access the exit rows."

rbessler Oct 15, 2008 12:46 pm

When this happens to me, it is *always* because I purchased the ticket without being logged in or without my AAdvantage number attached. What you're describing is exactly what the seat map would look like if you didn't have elite status. If this is the case, it is easy to add the AAdvantage number.

That statement is accurate if you are not an elite member. Again, my guess is somehow the record is not reflecting the OP's status.

ohioflyer Oct 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by passinginterest (Post 10524833)

"...ured and there is a notation that you have to be flying with a B or Y fare to access the exit rows."

I see no such notation when selecting seats, including exit seats, as a PLT. aa.com has recently added this notation for the "preferred seats":

Preferred seats are available to AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, AAirpass members and all passengers holding tickets with a Y or B booking code.

OP: are you sure that this isn't a case of exit seats already being reserved on your flights?

passinginterest Oct 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by rbessler (Post 10524844)
When this happens to me, it is *always* because I purchased the ticket without being logged in or without my AAdvantage number attached. What you're describing is exactly what the seat map would look like if you didn't have elite status. If this is the case, it is easy to add the AAdvantage number.

That statement is accurate if you are not an elite member. Again, my guess is somehow the record is not reflecting the OP's status.

I bet you have it!

millions Oct 15, 2008 12:49 pm

I just checked my upcoming reservations and am able to select any seat.

The notation on the seat map reads:

** Preferred seats are available to AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, AAirpass members and all passengers holding tickets with a Y or B booking code.

normcpa Oct 15, 2008 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by rbessler (Post 10524844)

I just checked your suggestion, and you are absolutely right! MY BAD!!

Thank goodness for FT. I had held the flights yesterday, and I just clicked on "purchase" (on the "hold" e-mail). Somehow aa.com didn't know who I was, and that caused the problem. I just now went in and picked out the exit row seats with no difficulty.

Thanks for your help! :) :) I can smile again.

badjuju Oct 15, 2008 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by normcpa (Post 10525018)

Thank goodness for FT. I had held the flights yesterday, and I just clicked on "purchase" (on the "hold" e-mail). Somehow aa.com didn't know who I was, and that caused the problem. I just now went in and picked out the exit row seats with no difficulty.

You made me nervous for a second there. Glad it all worked out.

dstan Oct 15, 2008 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by normcpa (Post 10525018)

Glad you got it figured out :) Would you mind updating the OP to indicate that this has been sorted out and that there is, in fact, no change? It'll save others some time.

Deltahater Oct 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by dstan (Post 10525954)
Glad you got it figured out :) Would you mind updating the OP to indicate that this has been sorted out and that there is, in fact, no change? It'll save others some time.

LOL.. he is the OP... :)