Wiki Posts
Search

AB6 or 757 in F?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Question AB6 or 757 in F?

Please could you tell me which seat is more comfortable in F - the Airbus A300 or the 757? I am quite tall! Seatguru says the Airbus has slightly more legroom with a narrower seat than the 757?

Many thanks
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by BA Loyal
Please could you tell me which seat is more comfortable in F - the Airbus A300 or the 757? I am quite tall! Seatguru says the Airbus has slightly more legroom with a narrower seat than the 757?

Many thanks
Is one inch of pitch more important than which flights have the best schedule or fare? I'd personal like 1 1/2 inch more width, be there are other considerations like fares, times, airports, etc.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
Is one inch of pitch more important than which flights have the best schedule or fare? I'd personal like 1 1/2 inch more width, be there are other considerations like fares, times, airports, etc.
Same fare, similar times!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 4:57 am

The AB6 is my least favorite aircraft in the AA fleet, so I try to avoid them unless there is a much lower fare on an AB6 flight, or the time is much better for my schedule.

As far as seat width and pitch in F goes, I`d say they are about the same- Frankly nothing that great.

I would stay away from a bulkhead seat in F if you want the most legroom. I am only 5`9 and have a slim build, and I have even found the first row of first class on the 75 to have less comfortable legroom than the rows behind it.

I tend to favor Boeing over Airbus in General, especially if the Airbus is an A300-600.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by BA Loyal

Many thanks
If find the seating about the same in both a/c. But then again I am 5'7" and 145 pounds so any F seat is more than comfortable to me.

But the A300s are slowly withering and dying and will be dead and gone by the end of September. Accordingly, many of them are quite dreary, drab, and dirty and prone to mechnical delays. Go for the 757.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
if you are a normal size man or even woman, you will find the 757 more spacious than the AB6. If you are a larger person, you will feel tight in the F AB6 seat. 757 has more overall space. leg space is not that great on wither flight. back row on 757 has very limited recline, front row bulkhead very limited leg space.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:40 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I would stay away from a bulkhead seat in F if you want the most legroom. ...
The center bulkhead on the AB6 has extra legroom an if you're willing to pass on the under seat storage is the preferred seat. Personally I like the AB6 - two aisles make it feel more spacious.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by HNL
The center bulkhead on the AB6 has extra legroom an if you're willing to pass on the under seat storage is the preferred seat. Personally I like the AB6 - two aisles make it feel more spacious.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was speaking about the bulkhead seats in F on the 75.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Like many people have said, the AB6 is prone to delays and the interior leaves a lot to be desired -- especially the ones with the CRT TV monitors and the old seats. For those reasons alone, choose the 757.

If the seat is all that matters to you, than the AB6 may be slightly better (if you are lucky enough to get one of the newer configurations and don't get one of the bulkheads [6 out of the 16 seats are bulkheads]). Some AB6 aircraft are configured with the old 757-style seats, the rest of the fleet has the MD-80/737-style seat. Neither seats are exact replicas, but that is the best way to analogize them. The MD-80/737-style seat is slightly more comfortable than the 757 seat and has a movable headrest, so from that perspective alone the AB6 would be more comfortable. To keep with the theme, the 16 seat F/J cabin is more intimate than the 22 seat 757 F/J cabin, which helps with service.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCbustravelguy
back row on 757 has very limited recline, front row bulkhead very limited leg space.
Neither aa.com nor seatguru.com confirm that the back row has "very limited recline."

Seatguru does allege (incorrectly) that 5AB have "slightly reduced recline" but make no mention of 6EF.

The recline in F on 757s is not very substantial in any row - and IME, even the back row has the same recline as any other row.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:36 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Neither aa.com nor seatguru.com confirm that the back row has "very limited recline."

Seatguru does allege (incorrectly) that 5AB have "slightly reduced recline" but make no mention of 6EF.

The recline in F on 757s is not very substantial in any row - and IME, even the back row has the same recline as any other row.
My experiences as well. I would not hesitate to book into 5A/B or 6E/F. Though I try to avoid row 6 because of closet being directly to the left. Regardless - neither has a reduced recline.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:42 am

For me the small difference in seats between the two aircraft would not be a deciding factor.

Seats aside, I would pick the 757 because in my opinion it is a better aircraft.

Many of the flights I took on AA AB6 last year were delayed due to mechanical problems (not by long, but anyhow delayed)
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
On the other hand, if you've never flown the AB6, this may be one of your last chances (depending on your schedule). I'd fly it just to check it off once and never again. There will be lots of chances on the 757
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I know I'm the odd one on this, but I find the former three-class A300s (the ones with the blue F/J seats) to be the most comfortable domestic F seats in the system. Give me 1J on the A300 any time on any route and I'm a very happy camper.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Considering AB6 flies mainly to the Caribbean, I'm not so sure about the "similar times" objective here.

I'm 6'1", so my preferences may differ from Yours. Given that I'm booked early in F ( or C if Caribbean) I take AB6, because i find total space better. If booked in Y, waiting for upgrade to clear, 757 is my chioce, as the proportion of bad/less good seats is better, close to half of F(C) seats in AB6 vs 1/4 in 757 are to avoid.

Returning to Your OP Question: It's like asking what we like to drive; a 3L BMW or a 3L Merc

Have a nice Caribbean Vacation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.