Wiki Posts
Search

AA OAK pullout & AAward ticket change

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
AA OAK pullout & AAward ticket change

I booked my mother an F AAward ticket from OAK-DFW-OAK for later in May but now we need to change the dates to mid-September (long story).

I called to change the dates, which should be fee-free for an AAward ticket and they're insisting that I should have to pay the $100 fee due to the ticket changing from OAK to SFO.

I countered that, since the change I'm making is to the dates only and is fee-free, I should not be charged the fee for an airport change that is not in my control--I would prefer OAK as it's closer for her.

The AAgent said that, since the pullout from OAK wouldn't be a factor at all if I didn't want to change the dates, the airport change IS within my control and I should be assessed the fee. Although she was willing to try to work a deal where they would only charge $50.

So, what is your opinion? Am I seeing this from the wrong angle?
Old May 7, 2008, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by oneant

Am I seeing this from the wrong angle?
Yes you are. AA is perfectly willing to fly your mother as originally ticketed in May. The concession to $50 seems quite accommodating, really.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes you are. AA is perfectly willing to fly your mother as originally ticketed in May. The concession to $50 seems quite accommodating, really.
But AA is also perfectly willing to fly my mother in June, July, or August too without a change fee. Only in September and beyond is there an issue, and it's not an issue of will: they're unable to do so due to an intentional change that they made.

If I'm allowed to change dates on an AAward ticket for free, but I now have to both increase her travel time to/from the airport considerably and pay a fee to do so, I don't find that to be very accommodating, personally.

EDIT: BTW, I'm not arguing with you. It's the counters to my statements that will help me see this from anbother side.

Last edited by oneant; May 7, 2008 at 1:00 pm
Old May 7, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
You could say that SFO and OAK are co-terminals...don't know if this would work though.

I motion that co-terminal policies to be added to the AA wiki (award and stand-bys at co-terminals ok or not, which airports are co-terminals, etc.)
Old May 7, 2008, 5:00 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
... they're insisting that I should have to pay the $100 fee due to the ticket changing from OAK to SFO.
I think the AAgent is wrong. Changing airports is involuntary on your part. Call back and get another AAgent.

You could also make a reasonable case that they should fly her from OAK to somewhere (SNA, PDX, SEA, etc.) on AS, connecting to an AA flight to DFW. Note that just because something makes sense doesn't necessarily make it AA's official rule.
Old May 7, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
The AAgent said that, since the pullout from OAK wouldn't be a factor at all if I didn't want to change the dates, the airport change IS within my control and I should be assessed the fee.
how come changing airport is YOUR control? if it were within control, you should be granted booking OAK flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.