Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
The connections between LHR's Terminals is magnificently archaic, inconvenient, and ponderously slow.

Heaven help the elderly, those with luggage, and non-English speakers
What nice language! Just did landside transfer T5 to T4 hotel for overnight and then T4 to T3 the next morning and I didn't use the same words. They are not fit to print. Took longer and was more difficult to transfer from T5 to T4 than the flight from Brussels. And travelers beware, there is really no such thing as an airport hotel.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
I am flying into LHR on AA and getting in at 9AM. My BA flight is at 1050am. All on same ticket. My gut tells me this is too tight at LHR especially if AA is late out of the US.

Have things improved over the years where this connection is possible or should I put us on the next BA flight so we will have 3 hours 45 mins for the connection instead of 1 hour 50 mins?
I did two 100 minute T5<->T3 connections in the last month. First one was JFK->LHR->ARN. I had about 95 minutes for the T3->T5 connection. The first flight got to the gate about 10 minutes early so I arrived at Galleries First in T5 with more than a hour to go before the departure of the second leg.

The second one was JFK->LHR->HEL. Both legs are operated by BA but the first one ends in T5 and the second one leaves T3. The nominal connection time for this was 110 minutes but the first leg (BA 114) was over 20 minutes late. Still I made it to the CX first lounge in T3 with 50 minutes to spare.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by worldiswide
What nice language! Just did landside transfer T5 to T4 hotel for overnight and then T4 to T3 the next morning and I didn't use the same words. They are not fit to print. Took longer and was more difficult to transfer from T5 to T4 than the flight from Brussels. And travelers beware, there is really no such thing as an airport hotel.
Really? I've stayed at the Hilton, connected to Terminal 4, and there's also iirc a Sofitel, at Terminal 5. At Heathrow. (There's also a Yotel in Terminal 4.)
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
How I can transfer from T5 to T3? Do I take terminal shuttle bus? I can read a signs. I have a connection flight LHR to PHX. Can I get something to eat? If I have enough time.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
NEW LHR / London Heathrow AA T3 &lt;---&gt; BA T5 connection / transfer master thread

When you exit the airplane in T5, just follow the purple signs labeled "Flight Connections". You can't miss them.

Eventually, you will get to a bus pick-up point. Follow the signs to Terminal 3 and get on that bus. They will take you to T3. There is no charge for the bus. At T3, get off the bus and again follow the purple Flight Connections signs. It's a long walk, but eventually you will get to an area where you queue up for Security. Just follow the queue. If you are unsure, ask someone wearing a uniform. They have lots of uniformed helpers.

Go through T3 Security, then go down a couple of hallways to the Departure Lounge. It looks like a shopping mall. There you can find plenty of places to eat and drink.

Watch the TV monitors for the announcement of your departure gate. When the TV monitor says "Go to Gate XX" next to your flight, follow the signs and start walking to the gate.

Airline lounges are in the terminal. If you are eligible to enter a lounge, just follow the signs, go in and relax there.

ETA: I did this exact transfer last Wednesday 11/25/2015. To my surprise, I emerged near the Admirals Club ("Lounge H") instead of the usual exit into the shopping mall area. This is super-convenient for those wishing to visit lounges.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Nov 29, 2015 at 8:21 am
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Really? I've stayed at the Hilton, connected to Terminal 4, and there's also iirc a Sofitel, at Terminal 5. At Heathrow. (There's also a Yotel in Terminal 4.)
I guess what I meant is that many US travelers think of the property as attached to the terminal. We stayed at the T4 Hilton, which is still a fairly long walk from the terminal especially if you need assistance, and a long transfer to/from any other terminal. I guess my yardstick is more like my hometown Ohare Hilton which is easily accessible to all terminals. The transport/transfer situation at night after 11 pm or so is complicated and/or expensive We were scheduled to arrive at 630 pm, were late into T5, transfer to T5 took almost an hour, so we didn't arrive at the Hilton until almost 830. Over an hour to get to an airport hotel is not my idea of easily accessible. We had also thought of going to the Hilton restaurant at T5 but decided against doing the transfer again. We have been in London many times, and had an early flight the next morning so we thought staying at the airport would make things easier and quicker, and I'm not totally convinced we made the right decision this time.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by worldiswide
I guess what I meant is that many US travelers think of the property as attached to the terminal. We stayed at the T4 Hilton, which is still a fairly long walk from the terminal especially if you need assistance, and a long transfer to/from any other terminal. I guess my yardstick is more like my hometown Ohare Hilton which is easily accessible to all terminals. The transport/transfer situation at night after 11 pm or so is complicated and/or expensive We were scheduled to arrive at 630 pm, were late into T5, transfer to T5 took almost an hour, so we didn't arrive at the Hilton until almost 830. Over an hour to get to an airport hotel is not my idea of easily accessible. We had also thought of going to the Hilton restaurant at T5 but decided against doing the transfer again. We have been in London many times, and had an early flight the next morning so we thought staying at the airport would make things easier and quicker, and I'm not totally convinced we made the right decision this time.
Gotcha. One can call the LHR T-4 Hilton and they will fetch you in an electric golf cart. For morning back to a terminal I usually have them arrange a "minicab" the night before - convenient and less expensive than some of the alternatives.

I like the so-called (misnamed) T-5 Hilton, but reaching it is a PITA - as are most hotels on the "Hoppa" run. I've used the rebranded Doubletree with good experiences, and there's a rebranded, I assume, Hilton Garden Inn closer.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:15 am

It's a learning process. I saw the golf cart when we entered the hotel, good to know I could call for it.. it would be very useful for my parents. What's the mini cab option. .that's to get you to T5 or T3? Do you remember the cost? The restaurateur of the Indian restaurant at T5 was just written up in the most recent Where magazine, so maybe it will drive some traffic. The Hoppa bus seemed like a PITA so we didn't even try.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
There is a really good discussion about LHR T5 in the British Airways forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...arisation.html

Note message #14, written by corporate-wage-slave who has exceptional knowledge of the BA and LHR ecosystem. In this message, he/she discusses Ready to Fly Conformance. In other words, you must pass Conformance a certain time before your flight departure, else you will be offloaded. Read this message and the whole thread carefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.