Ireland Run - Immigration?

Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA and Marriot
Ireland Run - Immigration?

I'm going on a mileage run to DUB from ORD and the return flight is two hours after I land in DUB. I've been to DUB before and normally the plane lands, you walk through and tell the immigration officer that you are there for either business or pleasure. Obviously this is going to be different. So here are a few quick bullet point questions:

1) Do I even have to go through immigration at DUB? Is there a rope I can duck under instead of going through immigration, since I just want to get over to the departure area for the flight back to ORD (which is probably the plane I just got off)?

2) If I do have to go through the immigration thing at DUB and he asks why I'm there, how do I explain the whole idea behind a mileage run? Do I simply say, "American offered me a lot of fringe benefits if I flew internationally this weekend?"

Any advice on how to handle the immigration folks, and exactly what to say, would be helpful. I would have done a search on this, but an international run is going to be new for me and I'm looking for specific answers about DUB. Thanks everybody.

Beach
Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:45 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You must clear immigration at DUB.

Immigration Officer: How long will you be in Ireland?
You: In Transit
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
You must clear immigration at DUB.

Immigration Officer: How long will you be in Ireland?
You: In Transit

Exactly what to say. That should take care of it.

Remember, always tell the truth. If the inspector presses you for details, explain about your MR. He might be surprised, but probably just shrug and let you through.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:10 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
As the previous poster just noted, tell the truth. Just tell them you're doing it for the miles. Period. End of story.

Without meaning to stereotype, the Irish are, IMHO, incredibly hosptiable. The last time I did an MR to Ireland, the gate agents were simply sad that I wasn't going to get to see their beautiful country. They so wanted us (my fellow MR'ers and I) to experience Ireland, and were sad for us that we weren't. I assured them I had been before, loved it, and would go again, but that this time, it was just for the miles.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, UA 1P, Hertz 5*
Just came back from a MR to DUB. Immigration was a complete non-event. The officer simply asked "how long will you be in Ireland?" I overnighted, so my answer was 1 day.

Also no issues coming back into ORD this afternoon when I stated I had been out of the country for one day.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Need A Beach
I'm going on a mileage run to DUB from ORD

When are you going? I need to ticket another one tonight and it would be nice to know if another FT'er is on the flight.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Lax_Traveler
When are you going? I need to ticket another one tonight and it would be nice to know if another FT'er is on the flight.
For US-DUB, at least on AA.com it is often possible to do sub-24 hour "stops" in London. It's a great way to get a last minute one-way deal from the US to Europe if needed (whether you go on from London or not means not oversleeping the next morning ).
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For US-DUB, at least on AA.com it is often possible to do sub-24 hour "stops" in London. It's a great way to get a last minute one-way deal from the US to Europe if needed (whether you go on from London or not means not oversleeping the next morning ).
Except of course that you must now conform to BAA's idiotic 1 small carryon rule.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:53 pm

BAA said to be relaxing rules on Jan 7

Originally Posted by Spiff
Except of course that you must now conform to BAA's idiotic 1 small carryon rule.
Allegedly this is supposed to be relaxed as of Jan 7, 08 according to this article on BBC.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:10 am

Programs: aa mm/exp
completed a similar trip a couple of weeks ago. as previously mentioned, had to go through customs and immigration (was asked where i arrived from - ord, how long was my stay - a couple of hours, and where i was headed - ord), but received no strange look or response. then proceeded back to check-in and went to the lounge.

have fun
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:51 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Allegedly this is supposed to be relaxed as of Jan 7, 08 according to this article on BBC.
"Restrictions on the carrying of liquids will remain in place, as will limits on the size of hand luggage."

Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:55 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
[QUOTE: 1) Do I even have to go through immigration at DUB? Is there a rope I can duck under instead of going through immigration, since I just want to get over to the departure area for the flight back to ORD (which is probably the plane I just got off)?]

Just for future reference -- in case you weren't being facetious -- circumventing the security flow at any airport is highly frowned upon by heavily armed (and in the case of TSA, badly trained) people.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:10 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Danwriter
Just for future reference -- in case you weren't being facetious -- circumventing the security flow at any airport is highly frowned upon by heavily armed (and in the case of TSA, badly trained) people.
TSA is armed??

Thankfully that is far from true.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
TSA is armed??

Thankfully that is far from true.
No, TSA is not armed. But CBP officers are--they are sworn LEOs who carry firearms. Remember, until you clear passport control and customs, you technically are not in the USA, so you don't have rights under US law. No right to an attorney, you can be held without being charged with a crime, etc.

I definitely would not advise trying to circumvent any arrival procedures.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:12 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Just came back from a MR to DUB. Immigration was a complete non-event. The officer simply asked "how long will you be in Ireland?" I overnighted, so my answer was 1 day.
I did the same thing with SNN last summer (used it to fast-forward my plat challenge). The Immigration officer was quite surprised when I said, "1 day"... and I explained the MR concept to him. He literally wrote-in "1 day" on my passport stamp. No biggie. The cool thing about having a 24 hr stop is that you get the same crew on the return flight. When he saw me the next day, the purser seemed almost as surprised as the Immigration officer had been.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.