Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I recommend this trip for getting PLT status on the outbound, SFO-JFK-NBO in M or V inventory to reach 10,284 EQP in 3 segments.

I told one of my colleagues about this, and he earned PLT outbound, + got the LHR08 bonus. Then he went LHR-LAX on the return and earned another LHR08 bonus, thusly:
SFO-JFK, 2586 EQM/EQP
JFK-LHR, 3456 EQM/EQP + 3456 LHR08 Bonus RDMs
LHR-NBO, 4242 EQM/EQP
sub-total= 10284 EQP >>ka-ching! PLT challenge met!
+4242 RDM PLT bonus = 17,982 RDM so far

(the fun continues)
NBO-LHR, 4242 RDM + 4242 PLT bonus
LHR-LAX, 5456 RDM + 5456 PLT bonus + 5456 LHR08 bonus
LAX-SFO, 337 RDM + 663 PLT bonus
grand total= 43,384 RDM
if my colleague had used an AA/Citi credit card, he would have earned an additional 4k RDMs (like I did on the same trip) and he could have earned a total of ~47.5k RDMs... pretty good for one trip, I think.

p.s. he is off to Rome in Feb09 to visit his GF who is working over there, using 40k miles for an award ticket. He'll now be able to use the A/C in SF, JFK and FCO too (whatever it's called in FCO).
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:12 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Afaik starting Jan 1 there will no longer be minimum guaranteed points for anyone. Maybe I'm just mincing hairs (and apologies if I've misunderstood/misrepresented this) but I think that it would be more accurate to say GLD would earn the minimum guaranteed miles which would in turn net at least 250 EQP.
Spot on.

The key is that points will be based on "actual miles earned", not 'flown', so elites get 500 min EQM earned and, as far as I've been told, 250/500/750 EQP depending on fare class.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 3:50 pm

I just called AA and attempted to enroll in a Platinum Challenge, they rejected it. They said I tried one at the end of 06 which is true, they also said I am currently gold which expires in February and last year flew only 17 000miles so they said I can not.

Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by 747-444
I just called AA and attempted to enroll in a Platinum Challenge, they rejected it. They said I tried one at the end of 06 which is true,
You merely tried one or did you actually complete one at the end of 06?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
When can u do it again

I just called AA and attempted to enroll in a Platinum Challenge, they rejected it. They said I tried one at the end of 06 which is true, they also said I am currently gold which expires in February and last year flew only 17 000miles so they said I can not.

Did they tell you when you would be eligeble to do another Plat challenge?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold

It looks like you could buy your way back to GLD/PLT. https://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_US/urls/elite.jsp
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
You merely tried one or did you actually complete one at the end of 06?
I completed one end of 06.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
"Upgrading" from Gold to Platinum challenge

This information may be useful to some:

I signed my wife up for the Gold challenge this morning. She's flying MIA-LHR-AMS on Friday, then AMS-LHR-JFK-MIA with me on the 18th/19th. The trip should net her about 7000 EQP and I'm planning a west coast trip sometime in February/March so I asked if it were possible to "upgrade" to the Platinum level if she completed 10000 EQP in the challenge period. The answer (after checking, and from an AA CS supervisor), was a definitive yes, however the additional fee is now $100, not simply the difference between the two different challenge fees.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador

Hopefully this could be the start of AA clamping down on people doing multiple challenges. The idea of a challenge is to offer you a fast-track to status that you would ordinarily earn during the course of a year by actually flying enough.

You enjoyed PLT status through 2007 thanks to the challenge shortcut, GLD through 2008 (did you fly >25k EQMs/EQPs in 2007 or was it a "soft landing"?), only flew 17k miles in 2008 which doesn't even qualify you for GLD and you now want to enjoy PLT status again through 2009? IMHO, not allowing you to challenge again seems a sensible decision.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
EXEC PLAT from Zero?

Starting in program from zero, I will probably get to 100k+ miles/points by June this year. How does the acceleration in the Elite status work as I go along?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by IsleSeat
Starting in program from zero, I will probably get to 100k+ miles/points by June this year. How does the acceleration in the Elite status work as I go along?
I'm not sure what you mean. First you become GLD, then PLT, then EXP. At each level, you get the benefits associated with that level.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
I'm not sure what you mean. First you become GLD, then PLT, then EXP. At each level, you get the benefits associated with that level.
I am doing this all within a matter of a few months, I mean. Will some 'rule' prevent me from doing this? Once I get the EXP, for how long will it be good?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by IsleSeat
I am doing this all within a matter of a few months, I mean. Will some 'rule' prevent me from doing this? Once I get the EXP, for how long will it be good?
No, you'll be fine. Your EXP status will be good through February 2011.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
You can also accelerate the interim steps by doing a Platinum Challenge. For $150, it'll get you Platinum status once you hit 10k points (which is 20k miles on deep discount fares). It should net you about an extra 25k miles from status bonuses compared to not doing a challenge, plus you'll get to enjoy Platinum status for more of your journey to EXP.

You might also call (especially if you have top status elsewhere) and explain your planned patronage. They might comp or match you up to Platinum or EXP, but YMMV. It doesn't hurt to try.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
You can also accelerate the interim steps by doing a Platinum Challenge. For $150, it'll get you Platinum status once you hit 10k points (which is 20k miles on deep discount fares). It should net you about an extra 25k miles from status bonuses compared to not doing a challenge, plus you'll get to enjoy Platinum status for more of your journey to EXP.

You might also call (especially if you have top status elsewhere) and explain your planned patronage. They might comp or match you up to Platinum or EXP, but YMMV. It doesn't hurt to try.
Thanks, I just called in for a Plat Challenge, it was 150 Bucks, thanks for all your advice, I should have Plat when I come back from this trip, all "J" bookings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.